PDA

View Full Version : new to my "r"

yz360
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
i just got my 1987 250r will post pics soon... it has a pro circut pipe and silencer and all new bearings out back... the owner said it was rebuilt but the compression is a little weak i think but will have to do a compression check.. my plans this winter was to rebuild it.. what do you guys think would be a good top end should i just get my cylinder i have now straighted out or should i look for a diff cylinder or place to send it out to have it done. i do alot of trail rideing and a little fun raceing with my friends

Thanks,
YZ360

yz360
10-12-2009, 01:06 PM
my r :)

IcutMetl
10-12-2009, 01:10 PM
Unless you have more cash on your money tree than I did when I bought my 'R, I would stick with your stock cylinder end for now and focus extra money on maintenance, reliablity, and suspension than a big nasty motor. Replace things like chain/sprockets, bushings/bearings, and tighten up the loose stuff that squeaks. Use good fuel and good oil, and flush your radiator and refill with Engine Ice. I was in your exact situation when I first bought mine. I was able to buy a new Wiseco piston, rings, needle bearing, pin, and gasket kit for $160 on ebay, paid $35 for a bore/hone, and $125 for a midrange port job. Ran a thin portion of the head gasket to bump up the compression, and all together, it really woke it up big time. While you have it apart, look at getting new reeds, or a RAD valve- cheap on ebay. I'm not sure how your Pro Circuit pipe is, but I was able to get my FMF full system used in good shape on ebay for $100.

I have a pretty long wish list for mine too, but personally I would much rather ride a well-built mild motor on a bike that doesn't squeak/rattle, have things falling off of it, and is reliable than spend big dough on a top end right off the bat.

Good luck!

yz360
10-12-2009, 01:16 PM
yeah i dont want a really nasty motor just a nice trail motor.... it does need a seat cover and i have bearing and such to redo the steering

IcutMetl
10-12-2009, 01:25 PM
This is my first 'R too, and I like it a lot so far. I ride mine mostly in the trails, fields...XC type terrain. With my motor setup, stock gearing, Razr2 tires, and FMF Fatty exhaust, it seems to do real well. Only when the trails are super tight do I use the clutch more. If I spent a lot of time in the tight trails, I would add a tooth or two to the rear sprocket, or aim for a low-mid pipe, but overall it's an awesome compromise.

RyanWsly
10-12-2009, 02:59 PM
IMO, spend your money on.....suspension, steering stabilizer, reed cage, nerf bars, put fresh parts in worn areas, such as top end and bearings. suspension is the largest up-grade you can do to get faster in the woods, the power is already there for the most part. if you decide to change pipes I would look into a paul turner type 6, that's what I run, good low end pipe for the woods. gearing wise I just run the older setup, 39 in the rear, not that I thought the 38 was too fast, just what I have always rode,I'm used to it, and it seems to work well for me in about all conditions, you'll just have to see what your preference is.

yz360
10-12-2009, 05:45 PM
yeah what could i do to help the suspension and what would be a good gearing to do... i also need diff rear tires they dont cut it in the muddy woods
and for reeds what would do it vforce?

IcutMetl
10-12-2009, 07:26 PM
For rear tires, I really like my Razr2's- they grip very well and sometimes too well, depending how you like to ride. Other less expensive alternatives are the GBC X-Rex, standard Razr, Holeshot XCR/HD, Kenda Klaw/Knarly, etc. Keep a look out on ebay, there's always guys selling used meats in really good condition- might even be able to pick 'em up on a set of aftermarket rims. For gearing, I run stock 13/38...but if I were to do it again, I might add a tooth to the rear....just for a tad bit extra off the bottom in tight woods. For reeds, both the V-Force and Boyssen RAD valve seem to be very popular- I hear the V-Force reeds are expensive to replace?? I have a RAD valve, but don't have anything to compare it to...but again, watch ebay- used ones go for pretty cheap- they seem to be popular for woods/XC guys. I bought a set of used WP front piggyback shocks for mine on ebay for $125- not perfect, but way better than the worn out originals. Look at having your rear shock re-sprung/valved for your weight- I read that when done right, they are nearly as good as an aftermarket but for less than half price. For the fronts, re-built 450R shocks are a possibility- but there's always nice used aftermarket shocks on ebay for a fair price.

Latemodel32
10-12-2009, 07:38 PM
for trail riding i wouldnt mod it to much.Plus be prepaired to be towed back to camp if its long trails you will run out of gas.I went riding with my buddys back when i had my 250R and about 20 of the 40mi loop i was out of gas.Yes we were hammering on them but just a heads up. This was my mx R back in the day crappy pic but back in 88 we didnt have dig. cameras i had to scan this to the computer lol

yz360
10-12-2009, 07:59 PM
nice r and are trails are maybe 15 miles well our really long trails are like 25 to 30 miles

yz360
10-12-2009, 08:39 PM
pike ny umm about an hr from jasper 25 min from arcade and warsaw

312R1
10-12-2009, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Latemodel32
for trail riding i wouldnt mod it to much.Plus be prepaired to be towed back to camp if its long trails you will run out of gas.I went riding with my buddys back when i had my 250R and about 20 of the 40mi loop i was out of gas.Yes we were hammering on them but just a heads up. This was my mx R back in the day crappy pic but back in 88 we didnt have dig. cameras i had to scan this to the computer lol

Ahh...The old days when we used sponges in the beadlocks..lol

RyanWsly
10-12-2009, 09:03 PM
I have WP triple rates on the front and a race tech single rate on the rear, the race tech was an upgrade from the PEP re-valve that I previous ran, but it was better than stock. reed cage wise i have an old FMF ram valve, it was the cheapest at the time and has always seemed like plenty so i never upgraded it, don't even think they produce them anymore, reeds are all but gone for them too so i'll be changing soon. Fuel consumption is a major issue for me, I have burnt over 7 gal in 3-3.5 hours, it becomes a serious problem if you can't get back to fuel up. I have went as far to attach a 1 gal. jug on my grab bar and fill up after I have room, honestly it's one reason I ride my 450R a lot of times. I had a 4 gal tank and couldn't stand it, would like to have a 3 or plus 1 or whatever they call it to try out, so be prepared to be annoyed by a large tank smacking you in the beans when you hit something or make an alternative plan to get fuel for sure. As far as the shocks go, WP will probably be fine for what you are doing, but if you can spend the extra do it, my 450R has TCS on the front and there is a noticeable difference, but the Works are 10X better than stock for sure when everything is set correctly. If you start off buying fronts you will instantly notice your back shock is a slug and want to fix it so be prepared. Tires, bout any of the ones that are heavy ply will do you good IMO, personally I don't like the Razr2's because they have massive "side bite" ???? don't know if that's a legit phrase.

Latemodel32
10-13-2009, 02:40 AM
Originally posted by 312R1
Our technology 21yrs ago I kept my 88 and 89 the longest(2002) i sold my 86,87 in mid 90's

I miss my 250R's lol

yz360
10-13-2009, 04:27 PM
i am keeping my eyes out for some works shocks right now

yz360
10-13-2009, 06:22 PM
http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/PROHONDA-HP-TRANSMISSION-OIL-80W85W/?catalogId=110569

is this a good tranny oil or is there a better to equal one i can get a local shop like a shop around me said to run yamalube products like there 2 cycle oil and tranny oil what is a good 2 cycle oil to run

rigger
10-13-2009, 06:58 PM
I have only ridden my R a couple of times in the woods now due to just finnishing her up.

I have a plus 2 front end with some Works tripple rates in the front and they ride pretty good to me. I really have no comlaints with them so far and I ride some pretty rough trails. I have a Works rear shock that just happens to be built for me and so far I really like it too.

My gearing is stock. Probably would not hurt to go a tooth bigger in the rear but feels ok to me.

My motor is higher compression and has had port work but I am not sure for what. It feels pretty smooth but still hits nice. It is plenty of motor for me, just trail and play.

I am not sure on a fuel range but so far it used almost a gallon for about 14 miles of trail. On and off the gas.

I am running the 6 ply Kenda Claws and they seem to do a nice job in the trail.

So far, I really like my R.

yz360
10-13-2009, 07:14 PM
yeah i ran bear claws on my blaster and it hooked up so good i might look for a pair of them or a good set of all around good tire like razors or hole shots

Latemodel32
10-13-2009, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by yz360
http://www.motosport.com/atv/product/PROHONDA-HP-TRANSMISSION-OIL-80W85W/?catalogId=110569

is this a good tranny oil or is there a better to equal one i can get a local shop like a shop around me said to run yamalube products like there 2 cycle oil and tranny oil what is a good 2 cycle oil to run

The honda oil blue bottle 2 stroke oil and the red bottle tranny oil (you posted link to it i run that in my 450R now) also amsoil is really good also

brokenmike
10-14-2009, 07:34 AM
Thats odd, I rode my R all day climbing hills wide open and used half a tank...

Honda 250r 001
10-14-2009, 08:02 AM
Originally posted by RyanWsly
I have WP triple rates on the front and a race tech single rate on the rear, the race tech was an upgrade from the PEP re-valve that I previous ran, but it was better than stock. reed cage wise i have an old FMF ram valve, it was the cheapest at the time and has always seemed like plenty so i never upgraded it, don't even think they produce them anymore, reeds are all but gone for them too so i'll be changing soon. Fuel consumption is a major issue for me, I have burnt over 7 gal in 3-3.5 hours, it becomes a serious problem if you can't get back to fuel up. I have went as far to attach a 1 gal. jug on my grab bar and fill up after I have room, honestly it's one reason I ride my 450R a lot of times. I had a 4 gal tank and couldn't stand it, would like to have a 3 or plus 1 or whatever they call it to try out, so be prepared to be annoyed by a large tank smacking you in the beans when you hit something or make an alternative plan to get fuel for sure. As far as the shocks go, WP will probably be fine for what you are doing, but if you can spend the extra do it, my 450R has TCS on the front and there is a noticeable difference, but the Works are 10X better than stock for sure when everything is set correctly. If you start off buying fronts you will instantly notice your back shock is a slug and want to fix it so be prepared. Tires, bout any of the ones that are heavy ply will do you good IMO, personally I don't like the Razr2's because they have massive "side bite" ???? don't know if that's a legit phrase.

wow man! are you sure you dont have a carb bowl over flowing while your riding? My R has a 39 PWK and it does ULTRA good on fuel. better than any 450 i ride with!

86 Quad R
10-14-2009, 09:27 AM
what engine are you running RyanWsly? that's quite a bit of fuel consumption. :confused:

dehner47
10-14-2009, 09:30 AM
Originally posted by 312R1

haha didnt think anyone from this site would ever remember those days. they were the best times to be into quads and quad racing. that brings back some good memories :D

yz360
10-14-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Latemodel32
The honda oil blue bottle 2 stroke oil and the red bottle tranny oil (you posted link to it i run that in my 450R now) also amsoil is really good also

the blue honda stuff is the hp2 correct?

and what 450 parts will fit will bumpers and nerf bars fit?

312R1
10-14-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by dehner47
haha didnt think anyone from this site would ever remember those days. they were the best times to be into quads and quad racing. that brings back some good memories :D

LOL..Yeah I remember. I used the car washing sponge that you use to beable to get at wal-mart. Good memories forsure.:D

RyanWsly
10-14-2009, 03:10 PM
wow man! are you sure you dont have a carb bowl over flowing while your riding? My R has a 39 PWK and it does ULTRA good on fuel. better than any 450 i ride with!

nope no leakage, it uses about twice as much as my 450R as a general rule.

what engine are you running RyanWsly? that's quite a bit of fuel consumption.

pretty well stock, not a big bore, just bolt on parts. forgot to tell you it was running like *** on the bottom that day and there was a lot of sand involved, I was at Attica "The Badlands" it's big gravel pit surrounded by woods basicly so I was after it the whole time, it's an extreme case, but it did happen so I thought I would mention it, and yes I was shocked because it was all that I had brought with me, quite a bit of fuel agreed, that's actual ride time too, roughly figured the time we had sat, did that because we were all shocked when I dumped the last of it in, for me 4-5 gal would be normal in that amount of time when riding there.