PDA

View Full Version : 400ex won't start

Firemedic552
10-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I am a newbir to mechanics to start off. My 06 400ex won't start. The solonoid clicks though. I have power to the lights. I've tried a new battery. I grounded out the solonoid and it stills just clicks. I hooked the starter directly up to the battery and it doesn't click. I've come to the conclusion it is the starter. How hard of a job is it to replace. I have the owners manual but it doesn't get into specifics. I also used the search button here. Thanks.

f4iracer
10-12-2009, 09:00 AM
the search feature on this forum is junk. You can search a key word that MUST be more than 3 letters!!!WTF is that???? Did anybody think about the word OIL???And how it is probably the most searched topic on any motorsports forum......well here, u can't even search it, haha!

Even if you do search a keyword, the results are all scattered throughout, they aren't exactly key word searches.

I'm a little confused by your post though, so the started isn't cranking?

If it's not under warranty, i suggest downloading a service manual if you're at all mechanically inclined......changing out a starter is usually nothing more than some wires and bolts/screws.

Firemedic552
10-12-2009, 09:08 AM
Thanks. I have the service manual. I am just nervous about taking off the crankcase cover. The starter isn't turning.

f4iracer
10-12-2009, 09:13 AM
does the starter motor turn, but just not the engine ?

Firemedic552
10-12-2009, 09:20 AM
no the starter motor doesn't turn.

hondaracing_13
10-12-2009, 09:27 AM
You don't have to take the crank case cover off to remove the starter. Be careful and use 2 wrenchs on the nuts that hold the battery wire on one to hold the bottom and one to remove the nut holding the wire. Take the starter off and use your service manual to do the proper checks and clean the starter. In you need more help P.M. me.

dariusld
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by f4iracer
the search feature on this forum is junk. You can search a key word that MUST be more than 3 letters!!!WTF is that???? Did anybody think about the word OIL???And how it is probably the most searched topic on any motorsports forum......well here, u can't even search it, haha!

If you asked we would have told you, like we have told many others, "*oil*". Does that help?

dariusld
10-12-2009, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by Firemedic552
I am a newbir to mechanics to start off. My 06 400ex won't start. The solonoid clicks though. I have power to the lights. I've tried a new battery. I grounded out the solonoid and it stills just clicks. I hooked the starter directly up to the battery and it doesn't click. I've come to the conclusion it is the starter. How hard of a job is it to replace. I have the owners manual but it doesn't get into specifics. I also used the search button here. Thanks.

Have you tried bump starting it?

Firemedic552
10-12-2009, 12:35 PM
Im sorry but does bumpstarting it mean push starting? If so yes I did and it ran.

j20accord00
10-12-2009, 01:35 PM
i just had this problem...the solenoid clicked.

I pulled the starter off, super easy. two 10mm bolts and it just slides out from the chain side.

once you can take it apart. my problem was that the terminal with the brush in the back was broke. the copper cable split. it was a 18.00 fix. I was back up and running the next day.

if you take the wire off the solenoid and run it straight to the battery you should be able to bump the starter that way. if it doesnt engage then its bad or something inside is.

take a look at this diagram and it will help you with taking the starter apart. its two 8mm bolts hold it together. make sure you line the 3 pieces up with a sharpie marker so you know the exact way it goes back together.

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/honda-atv-trx400ex-fourtrax-ex-2003/o/m2661