PDA

View Full Version : How long should a pair of work boots last?

Iliketogofast
10-11-2009, 08:25 PM
I have (guess I should say "had") a pair of Ariat slip on work boots. They were really nice boots, all leather, waterproof, I paid 140 bucks for them at the Rural King. I have had them since my birthday this year, 3/25/09.

Anyways, today I couldn't get my foot out of them, when I finally got it out all of the inner liner had come out with my foot and all of the liner ripped out of the boot. The glue apparently failed, because the last few days I had been hearing a noise as I took them off.

I have the box and receipt so I'm going to try and exchange them for another pair when I get up tomorrow morning. They still look pretty new, and I have only had them 7 months. They should have at least lasted a year IMO, they haven't even been through a winter! I have tennis shoes that have lasted longer. Usually the soles wear out and I have to retire the shoes because I start slipping everywhere, these boots still have great tread left.

So my question to you is this: How long have your boots lasted in the past, and do you think I'm unreasonable for expecting to get another pair of boots? Has anyone had a similar experience?

wvspeedfreak
10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
I seem to be extraordinarily tough on work boots for some reason.If I get a year out of them I am lucky.Most of the time they last me about 9 months.I have had some that lasted less than 6 months :ermm:
I have tried a bunch of different brands and Georgia Boots seem to hold up the best for me.
I will say that none of them seem to be made as good as they used to though.

Sjorge450R
10-11-2009, 08:48 PM
my dad drives a tractor trailer for a living and he also operates heavy machinery so he is in mud, in and out of trucks, on and off equipment and he usually gets about a year on his. Typically he gets a new pair because the soles usually start come apart (I guess from the sharp steps on the truck and the equipment).

Pipeless416
10-11-2009, 08:52 PM
im up for a new pair after a combined time of a year.. 8 hours per day/ 5 days per week. i have timberland pro series.. they've held up quite well, but it was the hot asphalt that did them in.

KAWIRYDER
10-11-2009, 09:55 PM
I recently purchased a pair of Hawthornes and they are the best boot I have ever owned, after they broke in. They can also be rebuilt. The guy that talked me into buying them has had his 4 yrs before needing to be rebuilt. It cost him $100.00 to have the lower part of the boot and the soul replaced.

Wills77
10-11-2009, 09:58 PM
i got a new pair at the beginning of summer and had to throw them away and get a new pair about 2 weeks ago.
thats from working construction 40+ hours a week

cosinostra
10-11-2009, 10:47 PM
Justin = Sucked, fall apart and won't warranty anything. Red Wings used to be good but now they SUCK. Hytest (made by wolverine) good if you like soft soles, light like tennis shoes. Thorogood, good so far made in USA and comfortable. I also have a pair of Chippewa boots with that flat white Vibram sole that are sooooper comfortable. Good for standing around in the garage.

BakerRacing40
10-12-2009, 04:25 AM
ya i gotta get me some boots here pretty quick.. the tony lamas are givin out.. i'm hard on boots too, a good pair maybe a year but usually 6 to 8 months and their done. i've tried a lot of different brands but haven't found that best pair in the world yet...

mat1977
10-12-2009, 06:09 AM
I go through about three pairs a year but I work with concrete.I have tried allmost everything on the market but I think Georgia or Chippawa are definately the way to go.

rodeo#11
10-12-2009, 06:27 AM
with my job im lucky to get a pair of boots to last 6months.. hiking 8 miles a day through the mtns takes a toll on them.. I'm not gonna lie though danner's seem to hold up pretty good along with the cheap walmart ozark trail bandit 2's :p

400exrider69
10-12-2009, 08:21 AM
I've got smit boots i probly spelled it wrong there regular boots steel toes they last me about 14 months the steel toed boots last longer for some reason and i put them thru everything daily there like $92 i'm impressed with them

ben300
10-12-2009, 09:53 AM
it all depends on boots....i buy work boots by how the feel, so my last several pairs have all been wolverine..they just seem to fit me the best and have the most comfort for me right out of the box. and is hard for me to find sizes sometimes in good boots because i wear a 13/14, depending on brand...

..ive worked everywher from steel mills, tube, mills, construction, to where i work now as an engineer at a power plant....when i worked at the steel mill i worked at i bought metatarsils(spellling?) because they were required...the first pair i bought were a pair of georgias adn tehy were the biggest pair of junk ive owned. they were comfortable, and only lasted 3 monthes before the ammoutn of grease, oil, and steel scale i walked through on a daily basis....my second pair was a pair of woverines and they lasted me 8 months at the steel then tube mill before they wer just two dirt too wear adn were ruining socks...

now that ive worked at the power plant for two years, i dont get dirty as much, but i do a tremendous amoutn of walking standing out n the plant on concrete adn steel grating...so i need a boot that is extremely comfortable adn supporst the knees adn thats why i buy wolverines. ive had my pair now, just steel toe with teh extreme shock soles for over a year and im due for a new pair, not because htey are ruined, just cause they dotn supply enough support for my knees anymore...

there are lots of good brands out there, i buy wolverines, but companys like timberland pro, carolina, redwing, etc all make excellent products. buy for quality, fit, and feel...

heck i have a pair of rocky bear claws taht ive been wearing around the farm since 2001..

Phugg
10-12-2009, 02:25 PM
Cannot go wrong with Red Wings. I have bought 3 pairs in 13 years. I work in Cable Industry (the EVEIL Comcast) Constantly on poles , in alleyways , under homes. The key is to Take Care of Them. I will wash them about every few weeks and use Mink Oil every month or 2. I put on a rubber glove and rub the oil in till my hands cant take anymore. I will ussually get about 4 years from a $239 pair of boots.
My area gets a $100 allowance a year and all the guys get Rockies or cheapo's and say screw it " let the company buy my boots" . I go the extra mile and pay out of MY pocket and am comfortable all day (10-14hr days).

Iliketogofast
10-12-2009, 03:08 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I went to Rural King this morning, they gave me a lot of trouble, kept telling me to call Ariat, so I did. Ariat says the boots should not have failed like that, and they would take them back, but Rural King disagreed. After about 3 trips to Rural King I finally had them get Ariat on the phone, who basically told them they needed to take them back because it's part of their agreement to honor Ariat's return policy (Ariat doesn't accept consumer returns, they have the retailer take them and then give the retailer a credit).

So I got my money back, took it to Boot City and decided on a pair of Tony Lama TLX Waterproof Briars. Nice boots, the liners were sewn in as well as glued so they wouldn't come out. They also have a steel shank between the inner and outer soles for arch support. They're very nice boots, they felt like they were already broken in when I wore them the first time. I paid a little more but I expect these to last longer, and if not Boot City has a much more lenient return policy.

Jigsaw
10-12-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
im up for a new pair after a combined time of a year.. 8 hours per day/ 5 days per week. i have timberland pro series.. they've held up quite well, but it was the hot asphalt that did them in.

+1 I had the same timberlands for almost 5 years. They look beat, but they are holding up great.

buck440
10-13-2009, 12:41 PM
REDWING boots all the way, steel toe of course...would be your best investment next best is irish setters but are costly, around $250 gave me severe back problems.

mittman
10-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I got caterpillar's foundation ct's have had them for about 6 months and are still doing great price wasnt all that bad either

jesseweaver
10-13-2009, 08:32 PM
i've had chippewas since may and they're holding up great i really like them. thats doing construction 55-60 hours a week plus another couple hours a night and saturdays working on a farm. i think they're doing good though because of all the driveway sealer i got on them in like june lol.

brian76708
10-14-2009, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by buck440
REDWING boots all the way, steel toe of course...would be your best investment next best is irish setters but are costly, around $250 gave me severe back problems.

yea they are some of the most comfertable boots i have had from the start but i was not impressed with how long they lasted for what i payed for them.

ex kid
10-14-2009, 02:42 AM
I've had my Red Wings for a year and they're about ready to be replaced, but I havn't found anything as comfortable and to me that the most important thing.

Old Head
10-14-2009, 04:24 AM
i get about a year and a half out of my rocky boots. They cost about $120.

300racer
10-14-2009, 07:48 AM
i work at ups and walk 5 miles plus every day and i use doc martins they last me about 6 months to a year out of them and the souls are gone but a friend of mine had redwings and wore the for 2 1/2 years! thats what i am switching to next time!

Warnerade
10-16-2009, 07:38 AM
shoot, I'll be lucky to get 2 months out of my workboots before the bottom starts leaking water and coolant into my socks.

suck my pipe
10-16-2009, 12:30 PM
I just got a pair of Matterhorn Mining boots $220 I sure hope they last a wile.