PDA

View Full Version : Shock bumpers up or down??

Evan
01-14-2003, 03:35 PM
Im hearing 2 sides to this story. Are the shock bumper supposed to be up or down. In this pic they are facing up.

Argument 1: They come from the factory facing up, if the factory does it, then why should they be different, they have tested both ways right?

Argument 2: They should be facing down, when facing up, they tend to push right into the seals, therefore blowing/damaging seals more often.

Whats YOUR opinion??

Nausty
01-14-2003, 04:07 PM
my opinion is up because practically every aftermark shock has the bumper pointing up.

Foxrage
01-14-2003, 05:07 PM
My stock rear shock is leaking beacause of that rubber thing but i dont think you will botttom out aftermarket suspension bad enough.

forum
01-14-2003, 06:10 PM
what makes you think its because of the rubber stoper?

Predator36
01-15-2003, 04:29 AM
You need to ask the manufacturer which way to turn it. On an emulsion shock (most shocks with no external rezy) it is very critical based on how the inside is made. Works - bumper goes down. On some Koni shocks the bumper must go up. On shocks that have a rezy, the gas is seperated from the oil and you can turn them any direction.

Evan
01-16-2003, 12:46 PM
I was just wondering because I took a shock to legacy ATV, and had it rebuilt, my freind took his too. He has works shocks, but I have TCS, they put his bumper upside down, but left mine alone, when we asked them why, they gave us the story about them blowing out seals upside down.

OCCRA288
01-17-2003, 07:30 AM
Santo Derisi also turned mine over on my Works, the taper now goes from small at bottom to large at top. That was part of the reason my shocks blew.

Evan
01-17-2003, 12:48 PM
Really!! Can you explain more, go into more detail....