PDA

View Full Version : little air box thought, what do you think?

rigger
10-11-2009, 07:48 AM
Somebody in the 400ex forum gave me this idea through a mod he had done to his airbox.

The basic subject was to run with or with out the air box lid.

I run with no lid on my R and my wife's 400EX. We trail ride and yes we will get into some water and mud here and there.

No snorkle on either of our rides. My thought was to put the lids back on and drill a series of 1/2" holes on the back side of the air box. A lot of them. Basicly open the back of the box up with out cutting the hole back side of the box out. Then leave the front of the box open through the exsisting snorkel hole.

That way the lid will be like a roof over the filter to help keep large chunks of mud and water from falling on top of the filter.

Now my question is, do you think a set up like this will flow enough air to properly feed the motor as good as no lid at all?

I would think it would because I think by the time all the holes are drilled, it would be about 2-3 times the amount of air flow from just having the original snorkel hole by itself.

morse250r
10-11-2009, 08:00 AM
most water will come in though the sides splashing from the rear tires. i run no lid but and outerwarer on my filter i have a uddy that runs what i run but then had the outerwarer air box cover double protected

250rPRIDE
10-11-2009, 09:02 AM
ya i would put the outterwear lid cover on it. thats your best bet. also i think one industries makes the little foam plugs. just drill holes where ever you want and then plug them with these little foam filters, they are about 1 inch in dia. they where invented for sleds. but i would put about 10 of them in the lid and if you need more put em on the back of the box.

rigger
10-11-2009, 10:01 AM
I thought about all that stuff but it is more stuff to clean and more stuff to stop up with dirt, water and mud. I like the open airbox and I have never had a problem with a well oiled UNI filter on any bike or atv that I have ever had. I just kind of like the idea of the filter having somewhat of a roof over it but still having the box open at the same time.

Just thinking out loud is all. Having the front and back of the box open and the sides and top of it closed off seems like good splash protection but at the same time flow good air and only have one filter to have to clean.

Any, maybe it will give me something to tinker with later today.

Where are you guys getting the Outerwears lid kits from? I found a site that sold them once before but could not find it the other day when I was looking for it.

Saul76
10-11-2009, 10:21 AM
So - you guys who have removed the airbox lid - do you really notice much of a power improvement over a close lid?

250rPRIDE
10-11-2009, 10:49 AM
i get more mud on the rear of of my box than any where else. the sides stay pretty clean and mudd splashes on the rear the most.. just stick to what works everyone and there brother just removes the lid and it WORKS..:D

and yes when you jet your carb right and if you want more top end, remove the lid, if you are set up for all bottom and trail ride in the mud all the time let it on, its not the big of a differance..

morse250r
10-11-2009, 12:52 PM
more air = more power

atv fan 28
10-11-2009, 02:50 PM
i would either run a lid or no lid. if you are going to drill holes you might as well run a open airbox! but thats just my opinion.

86 Quad R
10-11-2009, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by atv fan 28
i would either run a lid or no lid. if you are going to drill holes you might as well run a open airbox! but thats just my opinion.

agree'd!! about the only other thing i would do is to make a splash guard that would protect the filter from being directly splashed with mud or water, something that will direct splash to either side and into the bottom of the box and drain from the bottom.

wykyd450R
10-12-2009, 07:29 AM
I know you have a 250r, but something like this on a 450r can be made easily to work for you. Just take a piece of aluminum, or sheet metal...

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b53/quadman400ex/550340641107_0_BG.jpg

IcutMetl
10-12-2009, 01:15 PM
The back of the airbox lid is the last place I would personally put holes; it's the first place to catch water or mud on mine. I ran the 1" UNI vents, and oiled them up good, but they would pop out and move around- didn't feel like using glue, plus it looked cobbed up. Don't see the point in NOT using a snorkel; how much weight can it add; what else can hurt to run it? I looked into the velcro-style Outerwears lids, but didn't like the velcro idea...might as well attach it with band-aids.

In my opinion, run with the lid on, lid off, or one of these- I like it a lot so far! I haven't had an issue with water, even when washing it off with the hose, and if I think I will, I'll just pull the plug on the bottom of the airbox.

www.ehsracing.com

RyanWsly
10-12-2009, 03:18 PM
Made mine similar the 450R one, had to run it parallel to the air filter though, used aluminum and pop rivets.

86 Quad R
10-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by RyanWsly
Made mine similar the 450R one, had to run it parallel to the air filter though, used aluminum and pop rivets.

got a pic of it? :cool:

RyanWsly
10-12-2009, 07:47 PM
I'll see what I can come up with, my computer skills on that kinda stuff are lacking at best........... but I'll try and get it on here.

86 Quad R
10-12-2009, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by RyanWsly
I'll see what I can come up with, my computer skills on that kinda stuff are lacking at best........... but I'll try and get it on here.

that'd be great...... thanks:cool: