PDA

View Full Version : help. bike breaking up, cutting out

moshachusetts
10-10-2009, 10:52 PM
this is actually on my yfz but i thought i'd try posting here as well as i usually get more answers from this section than i do the yfz forum.

last time i took my bike out which was two weeks ago, everything was fine. today i take it out and it started out fine then after a few minutes it started breaking up. so i get off the bike check out a couple things and start it back up and take off and everything is fine for about 30-45 seconds. shut the bike down again, start it back up and take off and same thing, fine for 30-45 seconds then starts breaking up again. do this a few more times and same thing every time.

so anybody got any suggestions? i'm guessing something with the carb. why would it be fine last time i rode and now i have problems?

maybe stator? how do i check for a bad stator?

btw this is a 08 that has ran perfect all season until now

your help is appreciated,

Thanks

gtt416ex
10-11-2009, 08:26 AM
weather changes affects jetting, so since it's starting to get cold out i think its your carb. MY cousin's 07 yfz acts kinda funny like that. If you level the throttle off, it surges. It'll fall on its face for a split second, then pick back up.

moshachusetts
10-11-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by gtt416ex
weather changes affects jetting, so since it's starting to get cold out i think its your carb. MY cousin's 07 yfz acts kinda funny like that. If you level the throttle off, it surges. It'll fall on its face for a split second, then pick back up.

i thought that at first too. but its not that much colder out than last time i rode and on my 07 all i had to do is play with the air screw a little bit. so i tried adjusting the air screw and no help there. i wonder if moving the needle will help? i really have no clue.i find it odd that it runs fine for 30 to 45 seconds and then starts cutting out. i hope its not electrical. i plan on taking apart the carb and cleaning it,maybe a jet is clogged.

also should have mentioned that it only starts at half throttle and up.