PDA

View Full Version : dissapointed with msr clutch assembly, need opinions

300EXrider02
01-14-2003, 03:22 PM
well, i took alll my ppkb crap off, and also the reverse mod was done...so then i installed the msr raptor clutch perch assembly, it look nice, i got the shorter one out of the 2 to chose, well i installed it but it really was very very hard to pull in the clutch, i dont know if it was my fault or a poorly desined clutch perch but not only to the tires continue to lock when clutch is in but the clutch cable barley reaches wher i want the perch, so making it very hard to work....my stock clutch perch was very smooth and easy to pull in....this one is scraping and hard as ****, it reall pisses me off to see something work so bad, i dont have much patients...anyone that ha any advice it would be appreciated, also, what do all 300ex riders do with the reverse cable? cut it? wrap it around something?

TRX_Thumper
01-14-2003, 03:58 PM
i have one exactly like yours on my 300 and obviously you have it hooked up wrong or somethin

mine is perfect

300EXrider02
01-14-2003, 04:08 PM
well can u explain?? is it the shorty? what knotch do you put yours in and is it easy to pull? pics?

01-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Sounds like you could have three things going wrong.

Check that there is no binding or rough spots on the cable, the two levers could put pressure on diff spots on the cable and one spot could be rough. sounds weird but I have seen this happen.

Check your lower cable adjustment for more adj in the direction you need.

And finally have you tried the diff places to mount the cable on the clutch pull? I remember one of them being very much harder to pull than the other two.

Just look around the set up to see if anything just doesnt look right.

01-14-2003, 04:46 PM
Sounds like you could have three things going wrong.

Check that there is no binding or rough spots on the cable, the two levers could put pressure on diff spots on the cable and one spot could be rough. sounds weird but I have seen this happen.

Check your lower cable adjustment for more adj in the direction you need.

And finally have you tried the diff places to mount the cable on the clutch pull? I remember one of them being very much harder to pull than the other two.

Just look around the set up to see if anything just doesnt look right.

exriderdude
01-14-2003, 05:55 PM
MY ADVICE TO YOU IS TO THROW IT IN THE TRASH RIGHT NOW, CUZ IT WILL BREAK IN THE MIDDLE OF A RACE CAUSING YOU TO GET LAST PLACE AND MISSING THE PODIUM,... TRUST ME, I KNOW;)

Juggalo
01-14-2003, 06:06 PM
i have the msr shorty too and i love it. there are 3 different settings (hard, stock, and easy) are you sure you have yours on the easy pull? since the lever is shorter you can expect a harder than normal pull too so having it on the easy pull setting is your best bet. also i noticed when i put mine on my cable was in need of being lubed. i would suggest the same cuz it makes a huge improvment, get a lubricant with graphite in it and pour an assload of it into your cable. if that doesn't help then you have a faulty cable because mine is perfectly fine.

tants
01-14-2003, 06:20 PM
i had a msr on my old 300ex and i liked it

Snad Rider
01-14-2003, 07:04 PM
I have the shorty on my EX and it works great. The notch closest to the handle bar (in) is the easiest pull position. My son-in-law has a Banshee and the clutch pull was so hard he was going to get the hydraulic clutch but we put the Raptor lever and a new cable and it made it about 100% lighter.

300EXrider02
01-15-2003, 04:17 PM
thanks juggalo, i did that and found the setting, it was on the hardest, now it seems to be a lot easier, but another question i have is my wheels still sorta lock, i want it so when i pull it in, it is close to nuetral movement, do i keeep unscrewing the adjustment? it makes it harder to pull though....also i want to set it to the easiest position, but the cable is very hard to get in the notch then wrapped around into the hole, the cable is not long enough or wont pull out anymore (dont have enough cable slack) and what was that about lubing the chain, pour it into??? the cable? thanks....

RideRed04
01-15-2003, 05:48 PM
Adjust the cable so that when you pull the lever in, it doesnt quite touch the handlebar, and then back it off. I have found that with the perch I have I need to adjust it at almost every stop sign once the clutch heats up. I am going to get a hydro clutch, but after a while you will get a good feel for when your clutch is out of adjustment. I think it is just an issue of the aftermarket not being as good as stock on some things.