PDA

View Full Version : dim lights.

LONG-ROD
10-10-2009, 05:26 PM
I put some 35w trail techs on a while back and they are very dime unless i have it really high in the revs. my buddy has the set up, but his are as bright at idle as they are at full throttle, can anyone help.

danhung11
10-10-2009, 07:47 PM
What stator are you/your friend running?:ermm:

kouki
10-10-2009, 08:12 PM
I have a pair of 35w trail techs that I just pulled off my quad. I the stock stator, they were dim at idle, but if you just pushed the throttle to slightly above idle they were really bright. Maybe your stator is just getting weak.

LONG-ROD
10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
Mine is stock, not sure on his. he does have a Henson advance plate.

wilkin250r
10-11-2009, 04:52 PM
Hmm. It doesn't sound like the stock stator.

The main obstacle to power output is heat. To get a "high output" stator, you rewind it with larger wire (for lower resistance). But since the larger wire takes up more space, you can't fit as many coils, or turns. Fewer turns means less voltage.

So high-output stators generally suffer low-voltage at low rpms. The fewer turns simply don't produce enough voltage when you're spinning it at low speeds.

It really sounds to me like you are running a high-output stator.

LONG-ROD
10-11-2009, 07:31 PM
well I pulled the stator and it is a stocker. looks like a bolt off the timeing plate came out and chewed up the stator coils. not sure how it ran. I heard it happen when I broke it in and went away. so I ignored it. been a year and it has never lived up to what I thought it should be. I ordered a new oem one so that should make it run way better. lesson learned,