PDA

View Full Version : Best Riders

XCRacer236
10-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Who do you guys think are the best riders of all time?

Dirtbike:
SX:
1. McGrath
2. G.O.A.T
3. Pastrana

MX:
1. G.O.A.T
2. Pastrana

FMX:
1. Pastrana
2. Adams

Quads:
XC:
1. Ballance
2. Hawk

MX:
1. Gust?
2. JJ?
Do not know enough about MX to decide.

TWISTED DINLI
10-09-2009, 10:33 PM
for bikes, defiantly mcGrath.
for quads, ehh. idk thats a hard decision

MX MaNiAc 06
10-10-2009, 12:01 AM
Bikes, Pastrana. Because he is good at everything on a dirtbike.

Quads, it's a hard one between Ballance and Hawk but I'd say Hawk.-for XC at least?

What about mx? fmx?

QuadJunkies
10-10-2009, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by TWISTED DINLI
for bikes, defiantly mcGrath.
for quads, ehh. idk thats a hard decision

I agree. Maybe "best " in dif. forms of racing, but that would be tough to call ONE rider best overall when we have EDT,MX,XC and so on......
The sport is always changing and we keep seeing some much talent its really hard to even label one rider at the best of any IMO.

m0t0xk1d
10-10-2009, 12:23 AM
McGrath and Carmichael made bikes so amazing to watch and really revolutionized this sport. they did some amazing things. its good to look back at the videos and just be like wow. with stewart now its like... o wow look how fast hes going wow ... oh wait he just crashed.. wait looks hes back up! omg look at him now even faster . o o o no he just crashed. crash after crash.

mcgrath and carmicheal were amzing to watch. o grew up watching mcgrath and when carmichael came in i was like who is this kid? but he really grew on me. its to bad . stewart will never reach carmichaels amount of wins. I think RC was the best IMO

Old Head
10-10-2009, 04:31 AM
Originally posted by XCRacer236

Dirtbike:
1. McGrath
2. G.O.A.T
3. Pastrana
4. Toss up between lot of people

Quads:
1. Ballance
2. Hawk
3. Toss up between lot of people

For bike I'd say Mcgrath and Ricky are tie. Quads I'd go with Ballance . Who is Hawk? Are you talking about Barry Hawk who rides gncc dirtbikes?

jesseweaver
10-10-2009, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by m0t0xk1d
McGrath and Carmichael made bikes so amazing to watch and really revolutionized this sport. they did some amazing things. its good to look back at the videos and just be like wow. with stewart now its like... o wow look how fast hes going wow ... oh wait he just crashed.. wait looks hes back up! omg look at him now even faster . o o o no he just crashed. crash after crash.

mcgrath and carmicheal were amzing to watch. o grew up watching mcgrath and when carmichael came in i was like who is this kid? but he really grew on me. its to bad . stewart will never reach carmichaels amount of wins. I think RC was the best IMO

Stewart has become a really smart rider lately and crashes less and less every year. i think he will reach RCs win total. even with sitting out entire series.

but i think without a doubt pastrana is the best rider to ever throw a leg over a dirtbike. he an do it all. one ofthe best FMX riders ever (if not the best), was a great SX and MX rider until he stopped and no doubt could have been one of the best if he stuck with it. and he can ride all other forms of racing and hang with the best in the world.

extremeblastr
10-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
Stewart has become a really smart rider lately and crashes less and less every year. i think he will reach RCs win total. even with sitting out entire series.

but i think without a doubt pastrana is the best rider to ever throw a leg over a dirtbike. he an do it all. one ofthe best FMX riders ever (if not the best), was a great SX and MX rider until he stopped and no doubt could have been one of the best if he stuck with it. and he can ride all other forms of racing and hang with the best in the world.

we're on the same page but i think pastrana is one of the best motorsports athletes ever, maybe THE best just because of the diversity of vehicles he's won on/in. i would love to see what he could do in nascar with good backing his driving skills are just insane no matter what hes driving.

quad2xtreme
10-10-2009, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Old Head
For bike I'd say Mcgrath and Ricky are tie. Quads I'd go with Ballance . Who is Hawk? Are you talking about Barry Hawk who rides gncc dirtbikes?

yes, he won 7 yrs and then went to bikes due to monetary support. He also won that championship...in his second season I believe.

trx400EXtreme
10-10-2009, 10:15 AM
bikes.....best all around rider....probably TP

as for as quads i'd have to say Dana Creech has always been one of the best IMO.

hondariderdylan
10-10-2009, 10:22 AM
dont know alot of bike people

quads:
me:D
ballance
borich
byrd
gust
guetter
moore brothers
mcgill
creamer

i could go on all day:p

One_Bad_400
10-10-2009, 11:02 AM
I'd say that hawk would be the best skate boarder, not quad ridder.

as for dirt bikes. Travis P. Hands down.

As for quads, i'd go with Dana Creech. he's been my all time favorit sense i got into farm equipment. cuz he's kinda like the TP of quads to me, no matter what he does he's awesome in it.

XCRacer236
10-10-2009, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
I'd say that hawk would be the best skate boarder, not quad ridder.

LOL! WHAT? I am talking about Barry Hawk.

I edited my first post to reflect your guy's suggestions.

XCRacer236
10-10-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver

I could not agree with you more! TP has done so much so fast. To be counted among one of the greatest of all time, considering he raced so little, is just mind boggling. The list of his accomplishments at such a young age is just incredible.

I think some people would argue that he wasted his racing talent by switching to FMX but I do not believe that at all.

And on top of all this, he led lap 1 of Florida GNCC last year! He just never stops and every single thing he does he puts his heart into.

One_Bad_400
10-10-2009, 12:08 PM
LOL! WHAT? I am talking about Barry Hawk.

I edited my first post to reflect your guy's suggestions.

haha i know, i was just crackin a funny

who is goat?

national #9
10-10-2009, 12:23 PM
bikes, Jeff Ward, many time sx,mx, mx of nations, supermoto, indy car, and now off road trucks.
atv Gary Denton, he won in all forms of atv racing and bikes too

k4f5x0r
10-10-2009, 12:47 PM

who is goat?

G.O.A.T is greatest of all time. AKA ricky charmichael.

travis pastrana has to be my favorite bike rider of all time. He does everything and anything and just is always so into it.

strictly racing wise RC is my favorite. He's just an amazing rider to watch. For some reason RC just has a style that is so much better to watch over stewart. with stewart its just me guessing the next time he'll crash.

XCRacer236
10-10-2009, 01:40 PM

who is goat?

oh ok. lol.

Greatest Of All Time. Ricky Carmichael.

jesseweaver
10-10-2009, 03:01 PM
everyone talks like its the worst thing in the world to crash. when he rode, carmichael crashed quite a bit. mcgrath crashed. bill ballance crashes. stewart crashes. i crash. hell EVERYONE crashes, some just more than others. all it says is that JS is willing to lay it all out to succeed. he pushes WAY past the limits of his bike and body. yea it might be dangerous but motocross is a dangerous sport, crashes happen. i think he is one of the most fearless athletes in the world. sure he crashes but when he doesn't he IS the fastest person to ever throw a leg over a dirtbike.

i know one thing for sure... if i had the choice of being the fastest person in the world and crashing a lot, or being a top 10 rider with a lot of style and very smooth i'd certainly wanna be the fastest person.

not taking anything away from james though if he wants he can be the smoothest rider out there with the best style and be the fastest. or he can ride a little bit wreckless and be even faster :devil:

muddy400EX
10-10-2009, 04:32 PM
for bike its be gotta be rc. even when he and stewart were together you never saw stewart pull away. rc was just amazing. and fmx probly pastrana, but id much rather watch twitch or deegan

mat1977
10-10-2009, 04:38 PM
Bikes=Pastrana...Quads=Creech

XCRacer236
10-10-2009, 04:46 PM
When was Creech in his prime? I do not know a lot about him. I guess he got out of it before I started following the sport.

Mc. Muffin
10-10-2009, 06:21 PM

Dirtbike:
SX:
1. McGrath
2. G.O.A.T
3. Pastrana

MX:
1. G.O.A.T
2. Pastrana

FMX:
1. Pastrana
2. Adams

Quads:
XC:
1. Ballance
2. Hawk

MX:
1. Gust?
2. JJ?

no way brah im the best quad rider..werd

J.Brown121
10-10-2009, 07:40 PM
what about harold goodman for all-around quad rider?
TT, MX, SCORE, and Baja

SRH
10-10-2009, 09:35 PM
come on now

the most naturally talented guys to throw there leg over a bike

its pastrana , stewart and mcgrath...

i wouldnt throw carmicheal into that because he won on pure dedication and drive and expirience those 3 are gifted

quads havent been around long enough for me to say
but creech, creamer and wienen are pretty naturally talented

K-Dub
10-11-2009, 12:53 AM
For me you guys gotta go back few years. This is my opinion on it.

SX
1. Rick Johnson/ Jeff Ward: They might not of been the most natural or the fastest, but the drive to be the best would of put them on top no matter what generation of bikes they where on or who they raced against. Mcgrath, Carmiechal, TP, and Stewart included or died trying. Plus they had the best gates ever. Guys like Glover, Hannah, Leichen (SP), Holland, Bailey, The O'show (Johnny Omara), Cooper, Stanton, and Bailey and Bradshaw toward the end of thier careers. Show me gates with Champions on it than the mid to late 80's. Harder to dominate when theres 6 or 7 other guys that can win any given day. The tracks wasnt the cookie cutter tracks of the 90's to present. Not everyone on the gate could clear the triples and every lap. Some of them triples had to be atleast 80'.

2.McGrath: Just smooth but didnt have much compition to push him. Seemed if you could bang bars with him, you could get in his head ala Kiedrawski, Larroco, and Lusk. Plus Not much competition, Stanton past his prime. Bradshaw and Chicken were head cases. Larroco and Kiedrawski couldnt get starts to save thier lives.

3.David Bailey: Probally one of the smoothest riders ever. God only knows what could of been if he hadnt been paralized. Had the speed and desire to run with Johnson and Ward.

4. Bob "The Hurricane" Hannah: Stewart rides like him only difference Bob kept it on 2 wheels alot more. Going through whoops feet off the pegs and the throttle pegged.

5. Carmiechal: To me no competition. By the time he got there McGrath had everybody used to getting second and that was good enough. Who did he race against? An uncommited TP, a young immature Stewart, a past his prime McGrath, Larroco already mid 30's, and Windam aka Honda/Amsoil will pay me to get second place the same as first, cause nobody expects RC to get beat.

MX
1. Johnson/Ward see above.

2. Hannah from what Ive seen of the videos he was wilder outdoors than in.

3. RC Fast, smooth and in awesome shape.

4.Mike Kiedrowski Smooth and in awesome shape, good on the 500.

5: Jeff Stanton Wasnt the fastest or the smoothest but out train him I dare you. Was as fast the last lap as the first.

ATV GNCC

1. Bob "The Ironman" Sloan Wasnt the fastest or the smoothest but was the Ironman for a reason. Had the drive and desire and did die trying. RIP Ironman

2.Chuck Delleulu (I know I messed up the speeling bad sorry Chuck, could never pronounce your name right either)

3. Barry Hawk first to win what 7 titles in a row and did it on a real R.

4.Bill Ballence nice and consistance.

ATV GNC/MTGP
1. Gary Denton 10 or 11 straight GNC titles and these wernt MX only. MX and TT (flat track now a days). Plus contended in the MTGP series, lost a title there from confilting dates between it and a GNC.

2.Marty Hart Dominated on 3 wheels and won an MTGP title.

3.Tim Farr mutiple GNC titles.

4. Mark Ehrhardt Mutiple MTGP titles and contended in the GNC's. Rode for both CT and Duncan. Up and disapeared over something that happened at a GNC.

5.Donny "The Bulldog" Banks He was an animal on the old Rs. Riding injured. I think if he could of stayed injury free he could of knocked Denton off for at least 1 title.

6. Digger Doug Gust I can remember Doug riding on the CT team in 90 with Chargin Charlie Sheppard and John Scott trying hard to knock Denton off. Still going strong 19 years later. Ride on Doug.

patrickj75
10-11-2009, 01:20 PM
Bikes:
Rick Johnson
David Bailey
Ricky Carmichael
James Stewart

Quads:
Gary Denton
Tim Farr
Shane Hitt
Daryl Rath
Harold Goodman
Bill Ballance
Barry Hawk

300ex_#387
10-11-2009, 04:44 PM
Wow so much hate on Stewart. He is amazing to watch and has so much natural talent. I really have nothing else to say about him.

Quads - Alex Trompen hands down.

yam450_53
10-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Jeremiah Jones was the f'n man

QuadJunkies
10-11-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by yam450_53
Jeremiah Jones was the f'n man

Agreed!!

Creech would be right up there for me as well since he was so good in freestyle,EDT,MX and so on...
picking just one would be tough to do though.

KOG
10-11-2009, 07:26 PM
jj for sure
wimmer will go down as one of the greats

5-10 yrs ago tim farr

duoug gust his whole career has been great

bill ballance could be in the top five for mx if he ever wanted to race mx.

creech kinda reminds me of travis p he does everything .

oh yeah and all those other guys that i forgot

SRH
10-11-2009, 10:44 PM
u cant include johnson, stanton, rc or any of those guys if by best riders it means naturally talented with the ability to manipulate the motorcycle better than any other rider....

bailey was a maybe but it didnt come thru, lechien didnt either, windham never put the speed down

im sayin stewart, pastrana mcrgrath

K-Dub
10-12-2009, 03:01 AM

Dirtbike:
SX:
1. McGrath
2. G.O.A.T
3. Pastrana

MX:
1. G.O.A.T
2. Pastrana

FMX:
1. Pastrana
2. Adams

Quads:
XC:
1. Ballance
2. Hawk

MX:
1. Gust?
2. JJ?

Don't see where it says naturally talented. It says the best. To me the best includes the following: talent, skill, desire, determination, work ethic, and level of talent you won against.

dehner47
10-12-2009, 07:35 AM
i know everyone has a right to there opinion, but some of you are way off with this dana creech thing. yes he is a awesome rider but you def can not put him in the top 5 of greatest atv racers. he dont even have a pro championship. hell, he never even won a pro race. he has a 250 A championship and thats it. maybe a pro am. not sure. anyway, just cause home boy can ride freestyle and has a good style to his riding, does not make him the best atv rider. maybe your favorite. but not the best. and only a few have even mentioned gary denton. you can def tell who is new pre 4stroke generation and who is post 4 stroke generation. cause i bet 90% of you guys dont even know who Gary Denton is. the man is and was the Jeremy Mcgrath of atv racing. hands down. the man has 9 national championships. Gary Denton in his prome could and would beat any pro rider in this generation. some of you guys/kids should go do some research on the sport yall say you "love" so much. you def could learn a thing or to by checking out old dirt wheels mags and what nots.

heres my list. in order..

ATV MX:
Gary Denton
Tim Farr
Doug Gust

ATV XC:
Bob Sloan
Barry Hawk
Bill Ballance

ATV all around rider: MX, TT, XC, Freestyle, ECT
Tim Farr
Dana Creech
Travis Spader

SX:
Jeremy Mcgrath (hands down)
RC
Stewart

MX:
RC
David Bailey
Bob Hanna

Freestyle:
TP
Adams
Matt Reubeu (sp)

dehner47
10-12-2009, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by K-Dub
Don't see where it says naturally talented. It says the best. To me the best includes the following: talent, skill, desire, determination, work ethic, and level of talent you won against.

X2 homie. my point exactlly:D

smr
10-12-2009, 08:16 AM
it would be tough for me but I would have to say it's

quads

Bob sloan...both XC and MX. Isn't he the only one to win a title in both?

Bikes

Bob Hannah or Scott Summers.

I also like Mcgraph.

400exrider69
10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
for bikes next to tp in all around talent scott summers on an XR 600 that was amazing he was fast racing gncc

KOG
10-12-2009, 08:39 AM
you just knocked on dana creech and then put him on your list

Scro
10-12-2009, 09:04 AM
Ballance hands down for quads. It doesn't matter what kind of racing, you can bet he is going to be a threat.

dehner47
10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by KOG
you just knocked on dana creech and then put him on your list

read what i said homie. i said Dana should not be in the top list of best riders of all times. i put him in my list of best all around rider. mainly for his style in freestyle. but notice he nowhere in my list of top racers. again, never said kid aint hell of a rider. just not a top racer. and yes i can knock him if i want. i've known Dana since the days of running A class together. and my father was his mechanic for a season and a half when he road for Nacs. so its not knocking. its called the truth.

dehner47
10-12-2009, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Ballance hands down for quads. It doesn't matter what kind of racing, you can bet he is going to be a threat.

your correct scro. i should change my list. Bill is a threast no matter what hes on or what hes racing. good call.

smr
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by dehner47
your correct scro. i should change my list. Bill is a threast no matter what hes on or what hes racing. good call.

just for the record, he has also won a midsouth XC race on a motorcycle.

dehner47
10-12-2009, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by smr
just for the record, he has also won a midsouth XC race on a motorcycle.

huh.. did not know that. dudes nasty for sure.

KOG
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
ok my bad homie