PDA

View Full Version : Is there a port and polish thread?

grassman
10-09-2009, 09:33 PM
Is there a thread on here that shows how to port and polish a head... I have a extra head and was thinking about trying to do it myself....

dariusld
10-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
I did my own port and polish. When I took the engine apart to put in a new piston and cam,I figured what the hell. I thought if I don't go to wild, I won't hurt anything. First thing I did was to smooth out the casting flaws. On the intake and exhaust ports, there is a line going down the sides, I ground those down smoooth with the rest of the port. I was a little more aggressive with the exhaust ports than the intake. On both I tried to grind the spots that didn't give me a straight shot into the cylinder. I wanted a straight line in, as much as possiable.You want to match the port side with the exhaust manifold or intake manifold. If you go bigger than that, you will get a leak. On the exhaust side I just etched inside the exhaust gasket, took the old gaskets off and grinded down to those marks. They say you should go about an inch in. On the intake side I just started grinding down any humps in the port. Then I put the intake manifold on to see if it was a smooth transition, from manifold to the port. I did this a couple times before it was a smooth entry. The final steps was to polish the exhaust side. I didn't spend alot of time here. I didn't polish the intake at all. They say you shouldn't. I don't know if my port and polish made a differrence, positive or negative, but it was free. I love free. I'm not saying this is what you should do, I'm just telling you what I did. I don't think a port polish will help as much, if you don't have a cam.

There is a good link in this thread (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=60801&highlight=port)

grassman
10-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the info. I love doing upgrades myself and not wasting money at a shop. I plan on building a complete motor using a 05 bottom end so ill have reverse. I already have my cylinder bored to a 426 with an 11:1 piston and stage 1 cam. I figured port and polishing with new valves would be a nice upgrade as well. Thanks again...

TRXRacer1
10-11-2009, 01:02 PM
Just remember when trying to port at home if you remove material from the wrong areas you can make things worse. Overall the stock setup is pretty good so don't get crazy.

RoadRage77
10-11-2009, 01:49 PM
ya there is reason why they charge the big money for port n polish. But like he said only take down the rough edges of the castings.. I think one side you leave rough... and other side you smooth out... Leaving it rough will atomize the air n gas or something like that...