PDA

View Full Version : Going straight, handlebars slightly turned? Any Help!!!???

radchad3
10-09-2009, 06:31 PM
Hello everyone!! I own a 2001 400ex that I have owned since new. I don't get a chance to ride very often but on my last time out I noticed as I was going down a dirt-packed road at about 35 mph that I was going straight yet my handlebars were turned slightly to the right. Is there a way to correct this? Do the tie rods adjust this or do they affect the toe in/out more? The bike has been well taken care of and I didn't see any evidence of bent components, although that could be possible?! Any thoughts would be appreciated! Thank you in advance! Chad

matt14c
10-09-2009, 06:38 PM
First make sure that it wasnt just the pitch of the trail. Try it on a flat road first or driveway or something that you know is flat. Also make sure all your tires are filled to the same psi. If it still does it yes you can adjust the steering with the tie rods. You cannot adjust the toe-in on stock arms. You could have a slightly tweaked or bent tie rod, wheel or axle that is causing your problems.

Rkangel7
10-09-2009, 06:43 PM
First, I would check the simple things like tire pressure. On my EX uneven tire pressure from one side to the other can cause this.

Next, I would check alignment. On a flat surface put your handlebars so that they are straight. Then check to see if your front wheels are pointing straight ahead. You can measure from a common center point to each wheel to see if there is any abnormal alignment. If there is you can adjust the tie rods. But before you do, check for any bent or loose items like:
Bent steering stem
Bent suspension
Bent hub
Loose bushings or bearings
Loose ball joints

You can adjust toe, but you cannot adjust camber or caster with the stock a-arms.

radchad3
10-09-2009, 07:10 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I will double check the components again. I will also make sure the tire pressure is the same.

If it is indeed the tie rods do I just measure each from a common point and adjust each tire separately? I am a little wary of adjusting front end parts. I just feel like I could screw something up pretty quickly!

Rkangel7
10-09-2009, 08:37 PM
Yep, you adjust each side from a common center point to make sure both wheels are pointed in the same direction. There are jam nuts on each tie rod end. Be aware that one end of each tie rod has right hand threads and the other end has left hand threads. To lengthen or shorten the tie rod you will need to loosen the jam nuts and turn the tie rod itself. You should see two flats machined into the tie rods. You can use a wrench on these flats to turn the tie-rod. Once you get the wheels pointing straight ahead, then you can work on adjusting toe-in so that the front edge of of the wheels are just slightly closer than the back (most adjust it to around 1/8" to 1/4"). Note the orientation of the flats. Lengthen one tie rod say 1/4 turn at a time then go to the other side and lengthen the other tie rod by the same 1/4 turn at a time until the measurement between the front of the wheels is 1/8' to 1/4" narrower than the measurement between the back of the wheels.

It is also best to do these adjustments with rider weight on the quad.

Hope that helps!

radchad3
10-09-2009, 09:08 PM
Great info! Thanks!

beck125
10-10-2009, 11:40 PM
i dont know if anyone said this but you might want to check to make sure your tie rods are not bent, i couldnt figure out one day after wrecking what had broke, then i noticed the tie rod as a U lol just throwing that out there

radchad3
10-11-2009, 08:32 AM
Thanks man for the suggestion! I will have to look real close at all the front components to make sure nothing is bent! Chad