PDA

View Full Version : bearing carrier

massdabate
01-14-2003, 01:06 PM
has anyone ever thought of modifying the stock carrier to accept tapered bearings? is it possible i have access to a machine shop

forum
01-14-2003, 01:11 PM
i would be willing to bet its very posible!. but if you have acces to a machine shop why wouldn't you just make them from scratch. beacause mounts a stock axle carrier onto a laith would be difficult!. and i would go with double wide. tappered need to be put in perfect or they will last about 2 rides. (first hand knowledge) and modifying for double row would be alot eaier

Jnine
01-14-2003, 02:13 PM
I would not recommend using tapered bearings. Here are the reasons why:

They have a much larger OD. (outside diameter) That means they take up a lot more room in the carrier. When you build a carrier for the larger diameter bearings, you lose half your chain adjustment, if not more than half.

The other reason is they have to be adjusted perfectly. If they are not, then they will either be too loose and let things move around, or they will be too tight and rob power. I've seen pro level racers who thought the motor was starting to sieze, and they did a top end at the track, only to find out later that the bearings were too tight.

I like the idea of tapered bearings, it's just not the best application for it however.