PDA

View Full Version : New toy - chainsaw!

MOFO
10-09-2009, 03:23 PM
I just brought home my new saw, a Stihl MS 361 - this thing is a beast! :devil: We just installed a new wood insert and plan to heat our house with it, so I've been stocking up on some wood the last few months.

I made a mistake and originally bought an Echo CS 400. Nice saw, well built, but was lacking power big time! I returned it after a few "oak" sessions...

I should have listened to my father who has run Stihls his whole life - live and learn I suppose... :D

MOFO
10-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Here she is... never thought I would be so happy about a chainsaw, but after spending sometime in the wood pile, I now know the value of a quality saw!

cosinostra
10-09-2009, 04:12 PM
nice...... We use Stihls at work and beat the crap out of them. Cutting utility poles mostly, trees, dirt on occasion. They are the best IMO.. A couple of Foremen bought ECHO and they suck to use..

GO STEELERS!!!

ZSK
10-09-2009, 04:36 PM
Go buy half a dozen spark plugs and a few air filters and you'll be set for YEARS. I used to do stihl repair work at a local Ace hardware and never saw these come through for repair. Mostly 170's and 290's.

white tails
10-09-2009, 04:38 PM
Stihl is the way to go we have one that is older then the hills and it still works fine.

mxduner
10-09-2009, 04:44 PM
Nice saw there. I do have a cs-400 and it's the favorite limbing saw in our group of 4-5 guys. But yea my bucking saw is a stihl 038. Great saw. IMO you cannot go wrong with stihl most macs echo huskys to name a couple. Cutting three oaks down tomorow:D for next years heating season. we got oak wilt bad hear.

ROLLIN
10-09-2009, 05:04 PM
ah nothing like a two-stroke. i heat with wood too. good excersize.

MOFO
10-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
Nice saw there. I do have a cs-400 and it's the favorite limbing saw in our group of 4-5 guys. But yea my bucking saw is a stihl 038. Great saw. IMO you cannot go wrong with stihl most macs echo huskys to name a couple. Cutting three oaks down tomorow:D for next years heating season. we got oak wilt bad hear.

I agree, the CS 400 is a perfect limbing saw - no doubt about that! It is a good saw, I just did not buy it for the correct purpose.

Sjorge450R
10-09-2009, 06:29 PM
my dad picked one up like that last year for when we stock our yard because we heat our house with wood now. He got a bigger bar for it right when we got it too. The thing is heavy as hell, but compare it to its power and you completly forget about how heavy it weighs.

Which 450?
10-09-2009, 07:30 PM
I love Stihl! I work on heavy equipment and one of our regular customers asked if we could work on his chain saws. I said hell yea, so he brought about 15 Stihls down. I've always had junker craftsmans, what a difference! The largest was a 310, the thing had this wild kick to it when it idled, reminded me of a Quadzilla.

mxduner
10-09-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Which 450?
I love Stihl! I work on heavy equipment and one of our regular customers asked if we could work on his chain saws. I said hell yea, so he brought about 15 Stihls down. I've always had junker craftsmans, what a difference! The largest was a 310, the thing had this wild kick to it when it idled, reminded me of a Quadzilla. You wanna talk about wild kick, my buddys 041 av. MAN that thing is old with the lower reving motors. The thing just has tons of bottom end grunt to it.Just blip the throttle and this thing has so much torque twist to it... hold tfo.:devil: i have not used the 310

ZSK
10-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
You wanna talk about wild kick, my buddys 041 av. MAN that thing is old with the lower reving motors. The thing just has tons of bottom end grunt to it.Just blip the throttle and this thing has so much torque twist to it... hold tfo.:devil: i have not used the 310

Find someone with an 084 and a 6' bar and give that a whirl. My arms were shaking just at idle. Hammer down and it'll run through wet oak like butter. You almost need someone on the other end to hold the bar up.

mxduner
10-09-2009, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by ZSK
Find someone with an 084 and a 6' bar and give that a whirl. My arms were shaking just at idle. Hammer down and it'll run through wet oak like butter. You almost need someone on the other end to hold the bar up. :devil: i bet been my dream to run 1 of those or an 088 threw some 50" walnut. damn get's me excited. your lucky to even run 1 of those

250x_kyle
10-09-2009, 11:18 PM
my old mans stihl has been running since way before my time. start first or second pull and runs like a champ.

Quad18star
10-10-2009, 08:31 AM
There's 2 names in the chainsaw business .. Stihl and Husqvarna.

I've got a Husq and she has never let me down. When it's time for a new saw .. I'll be comparing the two brands and seeing which offers the better deal... because both offer great products and reliability.

Have fun with the new toy.:D

hondaking52
10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
we got a few 066's, but we use these now! hahaha

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/hondaking52/Tracked2-lg1.jpg

hondaking52
10-10-2009, 06:49 PM
oh and mofo...get urself a good file!!, you'd be amazed how much of a difference a sharp chain makes.

mxpimp2000
10-10-2009, 07:49 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUl1mP4wtyI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUl1mP4wtyI&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0x3a3a3a&color2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Quad18star
10-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I want one of these.... would make life so much easier.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMeb2-TSzNU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMeb2-TSzNU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

mxpimp2000
10-10-2009, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by Quad18star
I want one of these.... would make life so much easier.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMeb2-TSzNU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMeb2-TSzNU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

WOW!!! never seen one of these but that was siiick who ever invented that has to be rich now

hondaking52
10-10-2009, 09:21 PM
pretty cool idea for a home use thing!, need one of these!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hhmKBDIAXd0&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hhmKBDIAXd0&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Quad18star
10-10-2009, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
WOW!!! never seen one of these but that was siiick who ever invented that has to be rich now

There's many companies out there that make the processors ... this one is interesting because it's just an attachment that goes onto a bobcat.

If you check out the other stationary models as seen on youtube , they are all pretty simple concepts. As long as you have the tools and material to work with , and a little bit of mechanical/hydraulic knowledge , a person can make one quite easily.

hondaking52
10-10-2009, 09:28 PM
There's many companies out there that make the processors ... this one is interesting because it's just an attachment that goes onto a bobcat.

If you check out the other stationary models as seen on youtube , they are all pretty simple concepts. As long as you have the tools and material to work with , and a little bit of mechanical/hydraulic knowledge , a person can make one quite easily. yep, never seen the bobcat one tho!, i like that!

Sjorge450R
10-10-2009, 09:31 PM
man...now i wish my log splitter had a wedge like that a on there....hmmm. If only i knew how to weld and i had stronger splitter

mittman
10-10-2009, 10:50 PM
We have a stihl ms 270 wood boss and its great I love it. We have a log splitter but nothing like that one I wish we did tho. My dad made ours out of parts a couple of his friends had laying around not the best looking but for 18 years old its never missed a beat.

MOFO
10-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Here is a picture of our new insert... Quadrafire 4100i. Puts out some pretty good heat!

Quad18star
10-11-2009, 06:46 AM
Looks good Eric.

My mom and dad had a wood burning fireplace up at their place , but got rid of it a few years ago. Just too much work for my dad having to cut the wood and split it , plus if they leave for a few days during the winter all the water pipes would freeze up. They switched over to fuel oil and it works really well ... except for when the weather drops into the -40s the oil thickens too much even with conditioner in it.

MOFO
10-11-2009, 07:31 AM
Looks good Eric.

My mom and dad had a wood burning fireplace up at their place , but got rid of it a few years ago. Just too much work for my dad having to cut the wood and split it , plus if they leave for a few days during the winter all the water pipes would freeze up. They switched over to fuel oil and it works really well ... except for when the weather drops into the -40s the oil thickens too much even with conditioner in it.

Thanks Greg!

We always have our relatively new gas furnace as a backup or if I run out of wood (its going to be close this year!).

I enjoy cutting and splitting - really helps me take my mind off of work and unwind.

MOFO
10-15-2009, 04:19 PM
I finally got the chance to sink the bar into some 20-24" oak the other day - cut it like butter and my time spent bucking wood has been cut in half, easily! Thats probably the best part about the saw!

I have to say that I have another view on tree's now - when I see them, I can't help but to think to myself - how much firewood could I get out of it... :devil:

Quad18star
10-15-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by hondaking52
we got a few 066's, but we use these now! hahaha

http://i723.photobucket.com/albums/ww233/hondaking52/Tracked2-lg1.jpg

Is your first name Carmen?

fastredrider44
10-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I have a couple of Husky's. Couldn't be happier. The main thing is a sharp saw it a good saw. A chainsaw that runs perfect is useless with a dull chain. Learn how to put an edge on a chain with a file, and you're set.

MOFO
10-15-2009, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
I have a couple of Husky's. Couldn't be happier. The main thing is a sharp saw it a good saw. A chainsaw that runs perfect is useless with a dull chain. Learn how to put an edge on a chain with a file, and you're set.

Yep - I have a few chains and I'll be picking up a nice file set this weekend.

fastredrider44
10-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
Yep - I have a few chains and I'll be picking up a nice file set this weekend.

I'm just throwing this out there for any newbies to saws, but the size of the file to the size of the chain matters. Lol. I sell a lot of firewood and also heat with wood, and it will keep you in shape for sure. I use a **** quite a bit just for the exercise.

MOFO
10-15-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm just throwing this out there for any newbies to saws, but the size of the file to the size of the chain matters. Lol. I sell a lot of firewood and also heat with wood, and it will keep you in shape for sure. I use a **** quite a bit just for the exercise.

I appreciate the advice - I'm running a 3/8" chain so I'll make sure I get the correct file.

mxduner
10-15-2009, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by MOFO
I finally got the chance to sink the bar into some 20-24" oak the other day - cut it like butter and my time spent bucking wood has been cut in half, easily! Thats probably the best part about the saw!

I have to say that I have another view on tree's now - when I see them, I can't help but to think to myself - how much firewood could I get out of it... :devil: Nice man, my o38 is gonna get a new 24" bar and chain combo, all my buddies have20's so of course when it comes time to bucking the big ones, guess who will get to cut em:devil:

Yea i know what you mean there, you finding yourself rubber necking in other's yards, thinking you would put some good use to those dead trees?:D

Just the other night i got a truck load of 18" oak all cut just needs splitting? all free off craigslist:D

hondaking52
10-15-2009, 06:36 PM
Is your first name Carmen? nope, mitch, work for engs wood products, we dont go as far north as you, mainly barrie or south more

dns1764
10-16-2009, 05:19 AM
i just bought a huquavarna 460 rancher. the thing is a beast. the one thing it has that the sthils are lacking is a two piece design. it has almost no vibration

fastredrider44
10-16-2009, 08:05 AM
wow. the word m-a-u-l gets edited even though I was talking about a splitting m a u l.

MOFO
10-16-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by dns1764
i just bought a huquavarna 460 rancher. the thing is a beast. the one thing it has that the sthils are lacking is a two piece design. it has almost no vibration

I don't know - the AV on the 361 is amazing, damn near zero vibration. If I look at my 361, it sure looks like a 2 part design with the engine isolated from the handle and back area by some beefy springs.

What does the Husky look like? :confused:

Attached is a picture of the 362 - the 361 has the same design.

MOFO
10-16-2009, 12:06 PM
wow. the word m-a-u-l gets edited even though I was talking about a splitting m a u l.

LOL, I was wondering what you were talking about on your last post... :p

slightlybent47
10-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Fire wood warms you up more than once.

I warms you when you cut it and when you split it and when you stack it. and finaly when you burn it. LOL!!!

Quad18star
10-16-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Fire wood warms you up more than once.

I warms you when you cut it and when you split it and when you stack it. and finaly when you burn it. LOL!!!

Also when you're running away from a tree falling in the wrong direction ..... also gets you hot when it get's hung up , you pull it with your truck and it rips the rear bumper clean off ( mostly from cursing)

dns1764
10-16-2009, 05:09 PM
yeah the husky looks very similar. i didnt know sthils had the 2 piece desing too.

Guy400
10-26-2009, 12:56 PM
I've got an old 16" Poulan Timbermaster 3500. It's seen a whole bunch of wood and all I've done is replace the chain and add fluids and it keeps running.

My grandfather has an old Stihl from the late 70's and it's a monster (hope I don't get a letter from Monster Energy telling me to cease and desist :D ). It's a little heavy but it'll cut through anything.