PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug wires

ZSK
10-09-2009, 10:18 AM
Dumb question to follow.......Last night I was trouble shooting the parts blaster's electrical and came to a broken plug wire. So in a cobbled mindset influenced by a few cans of Busch I replaced the plug wire with a length of 10 ga stranded copper. Success!!! I now had spark and with a small shot of carb cleaner it rumbled to life for a few seconds. Which leads into my question.

What's so special about about spark plug wires? It goes without saying that I'll replace my cobbled wiring with a proper setup, but why do I need to? With a wire nut and some 10 ga wire it will function and run so what benefit comes of replacing it with the correct setup?

audioworks04
10-09-2009, 07:30 PM
the main reason spark plugs use the wire they do is because they are shielded. There for they contain the power of the spark to have maximum performance by not loosing anying spark in the path. Also the shielding contains the electromagnetic field that the coil produces through the wire every time it sends out a spark, this field can mess with other electronics around the coil and wire. This is not such a big deal on a quad as it is in a car.