PDA

View Full Version : new bike, wont run..thinking of burning the thing

jvlavl
10-08-2009, 08:14 PM
Ok, heres the deal. i let someone ride my kids new bike and she rode the thing in some water and drown it. it is a 90cc lc 07 drr. i cleared the water out and it had to be towed back- would pull the bike under its own power. changed the plug and the bike ran good for like one minute and the plug would foul. kept changing the plugs and they would keep fouling. now the bike wont run at all. i have spark, carb is clean, new plug, feels like it has good compression. i am thinking of checking crank seals? mabee the water pushed them out a bit. this bike ran great until she drowned it. i am running the plug that drr recomended. the orig plug that was included with the bike isnt available in states.

My son has not even seen this bike yet and will see it fri eve for first time and the f-ing thing wont even run.
we sold his kawasaki kfx80 to get this bike so he could race and things have gone downhill from there.

Nichols Atvs
10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
How much water did this thing see (comple under water or what )? you could have water in the stator take waterpump cover off and clean stator this is what ive seen in the past.

jvlavl
10-08-2009, 10:11 PM
muddy water splashed up and i was only running the elbow and aircleaner with no outercover ( now i know better). the machine didnt submerge completely.

found the problem! broken piston ring, banged up head,scored cylinder = no compression!

I managed to ruin a new motor before my kid even saw the machine in person.

I am a little concerned about the crank bearings, they seam ok and i really dont want to split the case but i dont want to do this again in the near future???

Coley'sdad#8
10-09-2009, 08:18 AM
man these motors were around when dinosaurs were here and thyre tough. either take the motor out or stand the bike up on ft wheels, clean out crankcase with brakeleen and air rotating crank till very very clean, re-ring, piston, gaskets, make sure no sharp or very deep scores in cyl. and run it till it doesn't. you will be suprised and you can easy have this done by next friday. as for this friday eve, you better be heading out to buy him something else with a motor to occupy him.

jvlavl
10-09-2009, 08:31 AM
rod bearing at crank has some in and out play. i have never come accross a application where this is acceptable. to cover any issues i went ahead and ordered .25 over piston, new head, gaskets, crankand crank bearing just to be sure.

Oh yeah, my "over night" ups just showed up with my air cleaner relocater....i guess overnight was overkill!

bulldogfallon
10-09-2009, 09:21 AM
Was the air filter oiled? Lots of new users don't oil the factory filter and run into issues of this nature.

The anxiousness to get riding gets us all ina frenzy :)

2 strokes don't like dirt inside.....even for a few moments usually means it's time to split the case and a new crank and bearings...

Just from experiences this has been the case

Nichols Atvs
10-09-2009, 09:37 AM
So she saw alot of water then. I would rebuild whole engine .

JIM GRACE
10-09-2009, 09:24 PM
like the " I want to burn it " phrase

Minis can give you grey hair...