PDA

View Full Version : gusseted frames????

mxpimp2000
10-08-2009, 06:54 PM
post ur opinions or facts. Im in this arguement that when u gusset a frame its more prone to break because it cant flex. I think thats a load of crap because why would u want the frame to flex and cause it to break imo

Pappy
10-08-2009, 06:56 PM
Its a give and take deal.....there has to be a given amount of flex but that doesnt mean that gussting will not allow it to flex. MOST gussets are installed to weaken a joint that HAS cracked from FLEX

BlaineKaiser450
10-08-2009, 07:49 PM
A few gussets here and there is all you need

SRH
10-08-2009, 09:05 PM
its pretty much like pappy said....

i think of it this way....take a flimsy piece of metal bend it back and fort and take a reinforced one and bend it back and forth...which one breaks first?

the choice of gusset kit is important...some are designed right...some are eyeballed and tacked on in someones back yard

mxpimp2000
10-08-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by SRH
the choice of gusset kit is important...some are designed right...some are eyeballed and tacked on in someones back yard

my NEW FRAME is reingforced with a bare kit by pappy and PC'd by him as well. i guess we'll see how well it holds up when i swap it from my stock frame to the reingforced one

hondariderdylan
10-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
my NEW FRAME is reingforced with a bare kit by pappy and PC'd by him as well. i guess we'll see how well it holds up when i swap it from my stock frame to the reingforced one

put em' to the test:devil:

dehner47
10-09-2009, 09:09 AM
heres a crazy question some of ya can answer. i do understand a frame needs to flex. and i understand why you put a gusset kit on a frame. now my question is, flex on a frame can help or hurt the way it rides and hooks up. does adding a gusset kit effect any of that? will a gusset kit prevent a frame from flexing in the correct areas and cause it not to hook up or turn correctly? is it something anyone has ever tested or noticed after they have installed there kits??

10-09-2009, 09:13 AM
If anything I would think a stiffer chassis would make it handle better allowing the control to all be done in suspension and what not. Looking from a car perspective people usually reinforce and stiffen everything and it makes handling more precise. In a quad though getting beat up over rough terrain I could see how you would need some flex to it.

usp4u
10-09-2009, 09:22 AM
ride a 97 CR250, then a 2000. you will see how important frame flex is to handling not just strength. Frame flex needs to be thought about as and aide to suspension...to a certain extent, obviously.

dehner47
10-09-2009, 09:31 AM
^^^^^ great point. agree 110%.

thats the point/question i trying to ask. frame flex is need to help suspension do its jobs. hence the reason why honda went from a chromoly frame to an aluminum frame. and why all other bike makers followed. you need flex weither thats in the holeshot or in turns. so how much does a gusset kit prevent the frame from flexing? if any at all.

usp4u
10-09-2009, 10:31 AM
well the point i was going for there was that when honda intro'd the the gen1 CR alum frame the thing was so stiff/harsh that it was hard to ride and handled like crap. each gen. got better as they built more flex into them.
as for your question...i've never ridden gusseted/ungusseted back to back with the idea of trying to feel a difference. I suspect that I personally wouldn't be able to tell. It would seem to me that a properly designed & installed gusset kit shouldn't change the flex properties all that much. Just not allow "over-flex" to point of failure. IDK.

fastredrider44
10-09-2009, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
ride a 97 CR250, then a 2000. you will see how important frame flex is to handling not just strength. Frame flex needs to be thought about as and aide to suspension...to a certain extent, obviously.

So what are you saying rides better in your opinion? The last year for the steel frame or the newer Alum frame?

usp4u
10-09-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
So what are you saying rides better in your opinion? The last year for the steel frame or the newer Alum frame?
the last year for the CR steel frame was '96. It was better than the first gen alum. in 97 for sure. Of course, after a few years of refinement, the third and subsequent versions of the aluminum are better than all styles before.

I used to have a 93 CR250 and I would have taken it over any of the 97-99's that i rode. Although the CR250 was basically the same bike from 92-96. Still my favorite dirtbike ever.