PDA

View Full Version : Camera Questions

papasmurf
10-08-2009, 02:50 PM
I have a Nikon D60 with the kit lenses. I have my settings set on a large image with fine settings. I have the continious mode turned on. My camera is supposed to take 3.5 frames per second. My SD Card is a SanDisk Extreme III 2GB with 20MB/s

With my current settings I can only take 4 pictures and then the camera wants to write those pictures to the card. I can't take multiple shots that exceed 4 picutres. Is there a way to set the camera so that it takes several continious shots?

Pappy
10-08-2009, 08:02 PM
If youre hitting the buffer then thats that....you cant make it write faster then it is. Your settings are set correctly

papasmurf
10-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Am I hitting the buffer on the card or the camera? Can I get a card with faster write capabilities?

kawabunga
10-08-2009, 09:34 PM
http://nikonusa.com/Find-Your-Nikon/Product/Digital-SLR/25438/D60.html

Nikon claims up to 100 jpeg images. That's probably on a smaller image setting though. It might be worth a shot to get a card that can write faster.

Pappy
10-08-2009, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by papasmurf
Am I hitting the buffer on the card or the camera? Can I get a card with faster write capabilities?

You wont find any more speed with a faster card....

You may want to check if you have the ADL turned on in the camera, this will slow it down...and make sure you have the camera set to allow more frames then the 4 you are noticing. I keep mine fairly low, to many times I will press the shutter button down accidently and end up with 300 pics of my feet:chinese:

papasmurf
10-09-2009, 12:24 PM
I do have the ADL on. so I'll turn that off. I have gone back through my owners manual. It says that I should be able to shoot 100 pictures continious. With the large image and fine quality settings. I don't see anywhere to adjust the limit of images for continious shooting

papasmurf
10-12-2009, 09:36 AM
Pappy,
Thanks for the ADL info. I turned it off and now it shoots a little faster and I can take a lot more sequential photos before it fills the buffer. It didn't take long to fill up my 2GB card with two girls playng soccer and my boy playing football. :D:D

Now I just need a bigger card and a better lens for doing indoor shooting (Basketball) :devil:

miller821
10-13-2009, 08:29 AM
Sandisk is having a pretty good rebate on some of their memory cards...

http://www.adorama.com/pdfs/rebates/sandiskextreme_010210.pdf

Pappy
10-13-2009, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by papasmurf
Pappy,
Thanks for the ADL info. I turned it off and now it shoots a little faster and I can take a lot more sequential photos before it fills the buffer. It didn't take long to fill up my 2GB card with two girls playng soccer and my boy playing football. :D:D

Now I just need a bigger card and a better lens for doing indoor shooting (Basketball) :devil:

Now. read the manual and learn to adjust the settings..internal such as contrast brightenss saturation etc. With ADL off you will need to use these to dial in the shot

papasmurf
10-13-2009, 11:35 AM
I spent the first two weeks just reading a section and then fiddling with the camera to see where all the functions are at. There is just so much to learn and I'm a slow learner :D But I'll have my nose back in there studying about contrast brightness. I'll probably have more questions in the near future. :D :D :D

What is a good web hosting for pictures. I would like to upload some for some criticing??

Pappy
10-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Alot of folks use www.photobucket.com and www.flickr.com

resize them to about 900x600 or so

QuadRacer041
11-14-2009, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
You wont find any more speed with a faster card....

You may want to check if you have the ADL turned on in the camera, this will slow it down...and make sure you have the camera set to allow more frames then the 4 you are noticing. I keep mine fairly low, to many times I will press the shutter button down accidently and end up with 300 pics of my feet:chinese:

I am a camera rookie so excuse the lack of terminology, lol. But what is ADL? I have the Nikon 3000. I am able to take many continious shots with out problems have it set on the largest picture size on the fine setting. But just out of curiosity what is ADL setting?
Pappy thanks for the advise on the camera, I love it. Now I just need to learn more so I can use it's full potential.

Pappy
11-14-2009, 05:23 AM
Its Nikons "Adapative Light" control....it basically sets the contrast and brightness for you.....which is not always a bad thing, but if you want more from the camera you need to read the manual and learn to set it up on your own and learn when to make changes etc. On some models, and in some shooting situations, the camera will delay the firing of the next shot as it adjusts the picture settings.

Todays meters try to protect the highlights at all costs, this is why many photos look washed out straight from the camera.