PDA

View Full Version : rev box, amr any good?

jasonwayne222
10-08-2009, 11:38 AM
I was looking at the amr stage 3 rev box with their monster coil. I want to switch to a 14 tooth front sprocket and not loose any top end. Has anyone ever used AMR off ebay?

According to this http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm if i put on the stage 3 rev box which will increase my top rpms by 1200 i will actually gain a top speed of 73 the calculator on this link doesnt lie but im not so sure about the amr box

any suggestions?

katch26
10-08-2009, 12:37 PM
that calculation is just a mathematical best case scenario. Generally the bike doesnt make power all the way up to the redline so theres no point upping the redline just because you like the sound of a screaming motor. IME those procom based boxes tend to be more trouble than theyre worth.

Ryan'07400ex
10-08-2009, 12:50 PM
Try searching monster coil combo or something like that

I was wondering the same thing and Hornetgod had a decent answer you'lll just have to search for it.

Whit11b
10-08-2009, 12:54 PM
I've bought a pair of AMRs off ebay. A stage two and a stage three with monster coils. I noticed that the cold starting was a little better and throttle response improved on both. As far as performance, the stage three actually seemed to make a bit of difference in the mid range. But I haven't had either for very long so I can't say how durable they would be. I haven't personally tried any other brand of CDI yet, but for the money AMR seems alright.

Whit11b
10-08-2009, 12:56 PM
I haven't looked yet, but has anyone done a dyno shoot out between some of the different CDIs?

bigbad400
10-08-2009, 02:54 PM
your gonna toast your quad if you do that all the time, the rev box wont gain your topend from my experience its just gonna make it climb faster, id leave your sprockets alone and get the box and a +4 timing advance key. someone on this site sells them i think. more bottom end will be gained with them and you wont have to rip on your motor so bad.

wrekd
10-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Whit11b
I noticed that the cold starting was a little better and throttle response improved on both.

Thats all I noticed on mine also. I just have the coil though.

jasonwayne222
10-08-2009, 07:41 PM
Ok so im probly gonna go with the stage 3 amr box and monster coil. but my main question is will it actually increase my top end speed. I know the higher rpms will let the motor rap out higher so it should turn the gears a little faster resulting in higher . Idont stay wide open a hole lot but when i do i definitly dont want to blow my motor by doing so.

So my main question is do u guys think i can keep the same top speed with the stage 3 kit and a 14tooth front sprocket?

This would be awesome to get that much more torque with the smaller sprocket but not sacrafice top speed.

jasonwayne222
10-09-2009, 06:53 AM
What do you guys think of the Procom rev box off ebay. it says you get 1000rpms over stock which is a little less than the amr stage 3 but its 40bucks cheaper.

And will i notice a bigger gain from the monster coil or a rev box. gonna get both but one at a time.

riotact
10-09-2009, 07:22 AM
I would just use your stock cdi and get the amr monster coil.Try that first and if it's still not how you like it get the timing advance key.I've never been a fan of those aftermarket cdi boxes.

katch26
10-09-2009, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by riotact
I would just use your stock cdi and get the amr monster coil.Try that first and if it's still not how you like it get the timing advance key.I've never been a fan of those aftermarket cdi boxes.

this

your motor is not built to make power up to the limiter it has now so how is adding a higher rev limit going to benefit you?

and stop using that calculator.......lol

jasonwayne222
10-09-2009, 11:54 AM
ya that makes sense, the whole point of this thread was to ask if i could go one tooth lower in the front sprocket for more torque and keep my top speed. But it sounds like it wont happen

I think i will try the monster coil first.

jasonwayne222
10-10-2009, 06:14 AM
oh and from a few replys back i looked into a timing advance key and it is not recommended for modded motors like mine because it causes a lot more heat which it can barely handle as it is and it can cause detonation.

Im gonna instal a spal fan and an extra oil cooler tho.

08ex4
10-10-2009, 04:20 PM
spend the 150 bucks and get the amr stage 3 box and coil combo i just put one on my 08 2 weeks ago and honestly its the only thing ive done to 400 made a difference. i gained some low and mid range power but nothing else ive done did anything that i could notice jets, pipe, filter, air box lid off, choke removed i noticed a difference only after i put the box and coil on