PDA

View Full Version : which steering damper

tjkershner
10-08-2009, 11:32 AM
My son about broke his thumb last weekend at the track when he hit one of the whoops wrong (raptor 250) and I'm wanting to get a damper as well (08 LTR450).

We only do MX, and are novice riders at this point. Is it worth the extra several hundred dollars for a Scotts, GPR, Precision system or would one of the stick systems do the job for us?

Can anyone recommend a good system?

Thank you!

Scro
10-08-2009, 12:07 PM
I've had my Precision for over 4 years with no troubles at all. The linkage wears out fairly quick, but it's easily replaced. It's much better than any stick-style stabilizer. You have much more adjustability.

TNT
10-08-2009, 03:33 PM
Precision is a good product my son and I have owned two (standard models) 4 years too....They can easily be adapted to any quad by changing the linkage. The linkage (bearings, seals) hold up longer if you grease them often espeically after pressure washing. If you plan on staying in the sport long it's worth the money, you can adjust the amount felt at the bars in straights and corners seperately. I'd say it helps keep arm pump down considerably better than the stick models.

Precision makes a "Pro" model that cost a little more, it's debatable whether it would benefit you at your level, maybe in the future. Some claim they can feel the difference to the std model, maybe a pro, it's more for mounting in hot locations.

Otherwise, as a novice rider if you were uncertain about the future and staying in the sport you could save some $, just buy a good stick and see if your boy is serious. I know I've been there, but all my investments have paid since my son is dead serious about it now or he don't get the pro stuff. :D

In any case good luck! :cool:

tri5ron
10-09-2009, 04:41 PM
get this and you wont be disappointed....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-LTR450-steering-stabilizer-free-shipping_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef91fcb3aQQit emZ270467582778QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

coryatver
10-10-2009, 01:23 PM
precision's are absolutely amazing

cosinostra
10-10-2009, 01:49 PM
I have a Scott's and it has saved me thousands in doctors bills. On at least two occasions I have hit trees hard enough that I truly believe I would have broken at least one wrist. The last hit broke the linkage on the stabilizer!
Sent it in and had it repaired, serviced and back to me within a week.

Stabilizers are well worth the money...........