PDA

View Full Version : O/T Hey yo RICO

knighttime
01-14-2003, 11:17 AM
I noticed your not on aim today and i need some help dude. I'm tryin to hook up a notebook computer to a CAT5 line so this guy at work can get on the internet. Sounds EZ ... well there is one little thing that makes this suck, the computer is so old it doesnt have a jack for the CAT5 connection. There are though these other jacks that are bigger and have prongs stickin out of them. Is there an ADAPTER i can get that will make the CAT5 cord stick in this POS notebook computer???:confused:

MSL
01-14-2003, 11:32 AM
you need a pcmcia network card to make this work i do believe

sly400ex
01-14-2003, 11:38 AM
hey knighttime, MSl is right. The laptop may not be that old, it's just that some notebooks have an integrated NIC inside of them. You will have to buy a NIC/pcmcia card and it will also include an adapter to plug your cat5 in.

01-14-2003, 11:41 AM
Try to use a 3COM they are pretty standard and have the best drivers and compatability with all PC's and OS types..

02 Red Rider
01-14-2003, 11:45 AM
I got one i'll sell ya. It's brand new never been opened 3COM 10/100 Model#3CCFE574BT

sly400ex
01-14-2003, 11:47 AM
Hey Rico, what type of network admin are you, LAN or WAN? Do you guys use Cisco gear? What qualifications or certs do you have? Sorry for the third degree bro, just interested because that's what I'm trying to get into. I've been in IT for about 3years now, pc desktop support and it's getting a little same ol' thing day after day. Thanks...

cdalejef
01-14-2003, 12:10 PM
He is a Bud admin and uses Crisco gear!

Doibugu2
01-14-2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
He is a Bud admin and uses Crisco gear!

I see the red button coming.

Aren't you and he together every weekend??:eek:

01-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by sly400ex
Hey Rico, what type of network admin are you, LAN or WAN? Do you guys use Cisco gear? What qualifications or certs do you have? Sorry for the third degree bro, just interested because that's what I'm trying to get into. I've been in IT for about 3years now, pc desktop support and it's getting a little same ol' thing day after day. Thanks...

I"m more of the LAN admin,,I do some WAN work not too much. Yes we use Cisco reuters,,,I'm a MCP, Citrix server admin, I have about 40 certs from IBM, HP, APPLE, DELL, Toshiba, etc..pretty much a hardware guru for printers and PC's/servers..I've been in this field of work for about 10 years. Get expereince more than anything man..fancy paperwork is nice ta have hangin on your wall,,but knowin what your doing will get you more money...:D

knighttime
01-14-2003, 01:07 PM
now im gonna try the install:confused: :huh

thanks for the help guys, ill be back with the results.

Pappy
01-14-2003, 01:36 PM
lan...wan....dan....can....tan....ban....jackie chan.....

ya;ll didnt think rico was the smart one now did ya:macho

Sparks425Ex
01-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
lan...wan....dan....can....tan....ban....jackie chan.....

ya;ll didnt think rico was the smart one now did ya:macho

That is sorta what it sounded like to me. Wow. all these technical terms and so little time.

Ralph
01-14-2003, 04:17 PM
i think u could just get any type of network adapter..