PDA

View Full Version : Backfiring on decel

coler2002
10-07-2009, 07:59 PM
Before everyone jumps on me I have searched.

My quad backfires on decel alot. From what i found it seems that i am lean during idle, to correct that i backed out my pilot screw. It is now out 3 turns and is still backfiring. My quad is stock besides for a uni filter, would that be enuff change to lean it out? I checked for a exhaust leak and could not find any carbon, I also tightened my exhuast clamp so i don't believe its that.

Also it wont idle. The idle screw/cable is broke and i have one on order so that might fix that problem. I dont know

Should I keep backing out my pilot screw or step up to a 40 pilot??

Thanks for any help

Ryan

beck125
10-07-2009, 08:01 PM
i have the same problem, my specs are in the sig, i was told that it was runnin a little rich

matt14c
10-07-2009, 08:09 PM
I was having this problem also with the 450r carb. Depending how bad it is you will have to go up on your pilot jet at least once maybe twice. You are adjusting your air fuel mixture screw hopefully. Your pilot jet should be seated securely.

If you read the last page I kinda documented what was happening and how I fixed it.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=231507&perpage=13&pagenumber=34

coreo5
10-07-2009, 08:24 PM
pull the plug and check it...white means your lean...but if everything on your bike is stock i highly doubt putting the airfilter on made that much of a differnce

rocky_mtn_honda
10-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Will a pilot or slow jet be needed? Pilots or slow jets usually help if the engine backfires when you let off the throttle. Even if no backfiring is present the pilot (slow) jet may be too lean. The pilot (slow) jet is one of the most commonly overlooked jet in the carburetor. If the engine needs the choke for a long time in cold weather a larger pilot or slow jet will help. If unable to obtain a smooth idle with the mixture screw going up a size or two in pilot (slow) jet will help. We recommend purchasing pilot or slow jets with orders to avoid having to re-order them later, that will save shipping costs.
Courtesy to http://www.jetsrus.com/FAQ_jet_kit.htm

coler2002
10-07-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by matt14c
You are adjusting your air fuel mixture screw hopefully. Your pilot jet should be seated securely.

Ya i am adjusting the fuel mixture screw i believe my manual calls it a pilot screw? but its the screw on the bottom center of the carb on the front end.

I think i will try to go up to a 40 pilot jet i just thought that if it were stock it would not need a rejet.

Will this effect the idle at all?

coler2002
10-07-2009, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by coreo5
pull the plug and check it...white means your lean...but if everything on your bike is stock i highly doubt putting the airfilter on made that much of a differnce

I will pull the plug tomorrow and see what color it is a good tan is what i want right?

black= rich
white=lean

correct?

rocky_mtn_honda
10-07-2009, 08:56 PM
^^up there in my last post theres a link at the bottom...read that, it will answer a lot of your questions

coler2002
10-08-2009, 06:19 AM
pulled the plug before work this morning. Plug is a little white so i ordered a 40 and 42 slow jet.

I well let you know what happens when i get them

Thanks everyone!

Shawthy33
10-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Get this thing dialed in before next weekend, we have some ground to cover.

I still think there's a chance it was jetted before you bought it Colee and we just don't know it

coler2002
10-08-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by Shawthy33
I still think there's a chance it was jetted before you bought it Colee and we just don't know it

if it were jetted by the previous owner then i believe it would be running rich not lean and i pulled the plug and i think its lean. So i dont know we will see whats up when i tear apart my carb this weekend

Is it possible that the slow/pilot jet could get clogged and thus lean it out? We have methanol in our gas in Maine and i have been told that it can loosen up deposits in fuel lines and cause problems.

coreo5
10-08-2009, 06:59 PM
i do not know if the pilot being clogged up would cause it to run lean but if it was clogged it would not idle. pull the pilot jet and see if you can see through it.

coler2002
10-10-2009, 12:44 PM
Pulled the carb and super cleaned it. It looks new now! the pilot jet was not clogged but it had some buildup of some kind.

I finished putting in the carb this afternoon and it runs like a champ, and idles great!

I think it even runs better from idle to wot.

jasonwayne222
10-11-2009, 11:56 AM
thats good it fixed it but also just so u know. backfiring is actually when it fires through the intake. afterfire is through the exhaust. just a little info most people mix up but always check for exhaust leaks as well because mine was doing that and i had a bad leak on my exhaust flange.

Shawthy33
10-12-2009, 06:21 AM
PUMP Colee, this weekend is going to be some good riding.