PDA

View Full Version : hard starting

debo
10-07-2009, 02:53 PM
the 450 has gotten harder to start lately....its been jetted with a dynojet kit an the main is like a 170 i think, k&n with no lid. it used to to start on like kick number five. now i gotta choke it once or twice an kick an kick to get her to start. is it floodin overnight or somethin. would turnin the gas off to overnight help???? spark plug??? valves???

Balaz_73*00
10-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Valves...especially if you say lately as if its been getting worse

debo
10-08-2009, 07:29 PM
how big of a job is it to adjust the valves.?? do i need shims or what i havent researched it any yet

flyboy450r
10-08-2009, 07:34 PM
Its easy make sure you torq the cam assembly in a x patern with a torq wrench, make sure your timing is right and get a hot cams shim kit i think its 60 bucks. Tons of write ups with pics online. Remeber when you adjust them you may have to do the decompession arm and with that you need to leave the feeler gauge between the valve and rocker arm. then use another gauge to measue the decomp are clearance thats the stuff i had trouble with. have fun. you'll wish you had a two stroke its not hard just time consumming

Scro
10-09-2009, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by flyboy450r
Its easy make sure you torq the cam assembly in a x patern with a torq wrench, make sure your timing is right and get a hot cams shim kit i think its 60 bucks. Tons of write ups with pics online. Remeber when you adjust them you may have to do the decompession arm and with that you need to leave the feeler gauge between the valve and rocker arm. then use another gauge to measue the decomp are clearance thats the stuff i had trouble with. have fun. you'll wish you had a two stroke its not hard just time consumming

It's easier to check the decompression if you just add the two tolerances together, and stick that feeler gauge between the decompressor arm and the rocker.