PDA

View Full Version : weight loss question?

buck440
10-07-2009, 01:45 PM
i'm getting in shape for basic training now cause i'm pretty out of shape:macho and for two days now i've been eating around 700 calories and read that that's actually pretty bad but i was wondering if i bought some protein powder and ate/dran it would that help with the muscle loss since i'm doing this and soon my body will...be...eating it's self:muscle:

no lectures please, i'm trying to do this as safe as i can.

Scottt89
10-07-2009, 01:51 PM
You may want to go up to 1000cals. Are you working out or just dieting? A good diet plus 30-40min cardio 4-5 days a week and you will be trimmed in no time. The main difference between Protein powder and a piece of chicken is that the powder gets to your muscles a bit quicker. I would suggest using protein shake as a snack, but not a meal. Do 3 small meals and 2 snacks a day and your metabolism will shoot through the roof, burning calories in the process.

buck440
10-07-2009, 02:13 PM
im just dieting right now but in 3 or 4 weeks i'll be in the gym. so since i'm eating that little and soon my metabolism will slow down too, the protein shake will speed it up? that how it works? the shake won't be my only meal.

Scottt89
10-07-2009, 02:29 PM
Protein is mainly for muscle repair. Also helps with skin, hair, and healing. Thats why you will find most people drink right before, during, or right after a workout. I believe guys are supposed to have no more than 56grams a day. With too little calories, yes your metabolism will slow down. Thats why the 5 meals is the best way to diet. No gimmicks or tricks. You give your body just enough food and space it out so that it burns between the meals. Eat too little and your body will use everything just to nurish itself.

buck440
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
but i can also use the right protein shake to keep my metabolism going strong while eating less?

Guy400
10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
If you're preparing for basic I wouldn't even sweat the dieting part. Your biggest concern right now is exercise...and plenty of it. You might as well start doing push-ups, sit-ups and chin-ups every day starting right now.

quad2xtreme
10-07-2009, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
If you're preparing for basic I wouldn't even sweat the dieting part. Your biggest concern right now is exercise...and plenty of it. You might as well start doing push-ups, sit-ups and chin-ups every day starting right now.

if you have access to a pool, start swimming laps. you can exercise much longer without risking injury.

buck440
10-07-2009, 03:27 PM
i plan on loosing at least 50lbs before i go so weight is my biggest concern since i'm 250lbs and no access to a pool:(

honduh440
10-07-2009, 04:35 PM
the biggest thing is to understand the importance of your heart rate while doing cardio workouts if its to high you are not in the burning fat "mode" and wont lose much weight just google a chart that shows what you should be at while running/biking. also you dont start to really get going till about 7 or 8 minutes which is probably about the same time that you start tiring out from you run so spend a lot of time stretching and warming up at a slower pace before you exhaust yourself.

mxpimp2000
10-07-2009, 06:15 PM
i need to drop 50lbs to:D

ben300
10-07-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by Scottt89
Protein is mainly for muscle repair. Also helps with skin, hair, and healing. Thats why you will find most people drink right before, during, or right after a workout. I believe guys are supposed to have no more than 56grams a day. With too little calories, yes your metabolism will slow down. Thats why the 5 meals is the best way to diet. No gimmicks or tricks. You give your body just enough food and space it out so that it burns between the meals. Eat too little and your body will use everything just to nurish itself.

your right about the five meals..but if your gonna be physically active...you should eat at least 1 gram of high quality protein per pound of body weight,a nd if you gonna be seriously physically active, you should consume more, lke 1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight....go to bodybuilding.com and start researching things on healthy eating and cardio......dotn take it from some guys on a forum...research from the pros

Scottt89
10-07-2009, 10:20 PM
The main thing you want to remember is that lifting a ton wont help you. You want to lift a weight 12reps and about 4-5 sets. That is where the fat burning/cardio lifting will help. Putting a ton of weight on and doing 5-8 reps 4 times will bulk you up, but it doesn't look like that is what you want. Protein is always a good thing, but the powders are also 200cals or so per drink if you just use water. I mix with water, but a lot of people use milk. I have done it all trust me. I was 330lbs at my heaviest in August 07 and I am now 215lbs and still trying to lose. Gym 6 days a week, different body part lifting each day, and 40-1hr cardio 5 times a week.

hypersnyper6947
10-07-2009, 10:33 PM
I dropped 20 lbs in about 1 month. Im not out of shape im about 6'2" and i weighed 198 and dropped to 178. All i did was diet, i walked a bit more too because i went from bar tending to serving. I would only eat carb/starches in the in the morning and only good ones whole grains. I stopped eating anything bad and anything high in sugar. Also stopped eating foods high in fat. To be honest i ate A LOT of chicken and salads. But remember that dressings are pretty much all terrible for you so stick to oil and vinegar. I pretty much ate less and ate very low fat carbs and sugars. Worked perfect!

ben300
10-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Originally posted by Scottt89
The main thing you want to remember is that lifting a ton wont help you. You want to lift a weight 12reps and about 4-5 sets. That is where the fat burning/cardio lifting will help. Putting a ton of weight on and doing 5-8 reps 4 times will bulk you up, but it doesn't look like that is what you want. Protein is always a good thing, but the powders are also 200cals or so per drink if you just use water. I mix with water, but a lot of people use milk. I have done it all trust me. I was 330lbs at my heaviest in August 07 and I am now 215lbs and still trying to lose. Gym 6 days a week, different body part lifting each day, and 40-1hr cardio 5 times a week.

well you seem to know what your talking about, but you have to remember that whey protein, next to the protein found in eggs, are the only proteins that your body can nearly absorb near 100% of the protein that it gives you....not to mention, not allprotein shakes are 200 calories or more...there are alot of different protein shakes out there that can give alot of different things..there are lean shakes like optimum nutrion 100% whey...which i believe is the best whey on the market...tis only 120 calories per serving, 2 grames of fat and only a couple of carbs..that its purly a lean building protein only shake...there are others like muscle milke that offer alot more fat and carbs, but these shakes are meal replacement or for serious gainers and thecarbs are high quality and the fats are high quality unsaturated fats as well..

you are right about the high reps for getting more of a cardiovascular workout while lifting, how ever you have to understand that if he hasnt nto worked out before, if he starts lifint, not matter the intensity nor the durration, he is gonna puton some muscle mass....its unavoidalbe....this is a common missconception when it comes to lifting...ppl think ohh i'll do high reps low intensity and jsut burn fat...but your gonna put on muscle as well...

now ive never been in the military or have gone to boot camp, but if i was you, i would get on a serious cardio program, consisiting of several different types of cardio, running, sprints, swimming, biking, that way you can work your boddies fast and slow twitch fibers

buck440
10-08-2009, 08:56 AM
guys guys all i wanted to know is low calorie protein shakes good to have while on a ulcd ultra low calorie diet so instead of your metabolism slowing down and my body eating its muscle my metabolism will speed up and it will help keep my muscle:muscle:

ben300
10-08-2009, 12:11 PM
in response to that question, yes you can take low call protein shake while doing cardio and trying to do weight, becaus evcen when you run, you are tearing your muscles. the muscles need protein among other things to repair it self. if you dont take in more protein, your musle will get that from toher places like fat cells and then after that is gone teh musle will then begen to atrophy do to the lack of protein....so yes...you should consume more, high quality protein, but at the same time try and keep your caloric intake down a couple hundred calories per day...

to help with that, you may want to eat more fiberous foods as well, such as some pastas adn green leafy vegetables because fiber is alot less dense and will fill you up faster or at least make yourself feel more full, plus the calorie to density ratio of fiberous foods is very low so it is very healthy...

also start your morning wiht a nice healthy breakfast...this will ensure that you start your day with enough engery, since you will be cutting calories through out that day, which will eventually lead to a loss of energy till your body adjust to that caloric intake

mxpimp2000
10-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
I dropped 20 lbs in about 1 month. Im not out of shape im about 6'2" and i weighed 198 and dropped to 178. All i did was diet, i walked a bit more too because i went from bar tending to serving. I would only eat carb/starches in the in the morning and only good ones whole grains. I stopped eating anything bad and anything high in sugar. Also stopped eating foods high in fat. To be honest i ate A LOT of chicken and salads. But remember that dressings are pretty much all terrible for you so stick to oil and vinegar. I pretty much ate less and ate very low fat carbs and sugars. Worked perfect!

i eat about 700-1000 calories a day max. i eat chicken 90% of anything i eat. thats where i get my protein instead of the drinks and shakes. ive been doing situps and pushups with some light weight high rep curls on each arm around 4 sets of 20 and about 60 situps and 60 pushups. along with motox every weekend i dopt the sodas and drink water and gatorade at the track to gain what i sweat out. id love to lose 20 in 1 month thats around 1lb a day or less

buck440
10-08-2009, 01:16 PM
alright so i'm going to go get some protein powder from gnc with around 150-250 calories low fat low carbs high protein and ease my way into the protein shake diet by next week. that sound good? is whey protein the best type to get?

ben300
10-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by buck440
alright so i'm going to go get some protein powder from gnc with around 150-250 calories low fat low carbs high protein and ease my way into the protein shake diet by next week. that sound good? is whey protein the best type to get?

i would not goin on a protein shake diet, just add protein shakes to clean heathlty diet....like have one mid morning betwen lunch and breakfast with a banana and such...then have one after your work out, because thats what your body needs the protein and calories the most

..also..you may consider getting up in the morning and doing a run for 25-30 minutes before break fast.....studdies have shown that ppl who exercise as soon as they get up in the morning before they eat burn 15-20% more calories through out the day than ppl who dont

derekhonda
10-08-2009, 01:34 PM
700 calories is too little, by far.

What you need to do, is find an activity calculator and figure out roughly how much calories you burn each day. Here is a piece of science for you, 3500 calories = one pound.

So basically this could be a math formula. For my age, body type, and activity level, I need 2200 calories a day. If I were to only eat 1700, and change nothing else (ie activity level stays the same) each week I would lose 1 pound. If I cut 1000 calories out (which is the furthest you should go) and only eat 1200 calories, you would lose 2 pounds per week.

Now, if you sustain 2200 calories with a moderate activity level, and then all the sudden you are running 3 miles a day or biking for an hour or tossing weights around then all of the sudden you may need 3200 calories and that is where a 700 calorie diet is going to kill you, literally.

My suggestion, would be to find out what you need to sustain your body weight right now. subtract 500. and then slowly start intensifying and piecing together a workout plan. I went from 250 to 180 in 6 months if that helps you get motivated.

buck440
10-08-2009, 02:58 PM
ok thanks everybody:)

416exfreak
10-09-2009, 08:41 AM
i plan on loosing at least 50lbs before i go so weight is my biggest concern since i'm 250lbs and no access to a pool:(

Run. start out at a mile a day, then increase it until your running about 3 without stopping. I talked with a recruiter at school and he told me they never run more than 3 miles..

Lots of running, along with push-ups, sit-ups, chin-ups, and any other basic excercises you can do at home.

Just try to get a jump start on everything the marines are going to put you through.

You only have to be able to do 4 perfect pull-ups (arms straight, all the way down, and all the way up w/ your chin hovering over the bar) to get in.:ermm:

Warnerade
10-16-2009, 07:56 AM
if your gonna diet....diet. Dont do it half assed. Everyone you hear say "diets dont work"...well, thats their problem.

buck440
10-16-2009, 01:36 PM
i've been sticking to 800 calories or less a day since last tuesday and already lost a few lbs. tomorrow i'm going to stop back by gnc to get a few things to speed it along.

Warnerade
10-16-2009, 01:53 PM
you'll always lose a few pounds right away...it takes about 2 weeks for a diet to start kicking in where you actually start losing weight, good luck

Quad18star
10-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Try my diet .... 3800 calories per day. Just joking .

I am on a high calorie diet though ... for the average person this would mean packing on the pounds ... for me it's maintaining my weight. :ermm:

I can't really help you on the other aspects of your diet though ... my high calorie , high fat diet doesn't work for 99.9% of the people out there.

One thing I can tell you though, in order to stay hydrated , do NOT drink things that have high sugar content such as fruit juices, pop, sportsdrinks... rather mix them like this .

2 cups of water
2 cups of Gatorade
1/2 tablespoon of salt.

(This receipe is basically a homemade version of Gastrolyte or Pediolyte)

Sugars when entered into your GI tract ( ie, small bowel, large bowel and colon) actually draw fluid from your body in order to dilute itself and pass it through your GI tract. This in return leads to dehydration. When you mix half and half you are diluting the sugar contents and the salt that you added to the drink helps to rehydrate you by repleneshing your sodium losses (ie sweat).

I won't lie , the stuff tastes nasty , but it works. Prepare it the nigh before or in the morning , throw a few ice cubes in it and let it get nice and cold .. I find it tatses a BIT better when it's really cold. Sip on it throughout the day.

troybilt
10-16-2009, 02:51 PM
I haven't read this thread, but I didn't see Crossfit mentioned that I'm aware of. This is the style of cardio/lifting training that is used in the Marines and SF... plenty of information on the web about it. Just use caution and good judgement.

No doubt about, dieting is simple, you must burn more than you eat. Eating 800 cals per day is fine to lose weight quickly, but only during the intial shock (5-6 wks). You can't do this forever, and the weight will come right back with a vengence. This method trains your body to conserve energy, i.e. lowers metabolism, also known as a starvation diet. Instead you should try and spread out your meals like 5-7 small meals each less than 250 cals. This keeps the cal count down and also keeps the body from conserving. The body is designed to protect itself, so when you starve yourself the metabolic rate slows down in an effort to protect itself.

Take if for what its worth, I've been into bodybuilding for over 15 years. Been down that roads many times. Goodluck!

buck440
12-25-2009, 04:25 PM
well it's been over two months and the first half i just ate 800 calories or less and the second half i ate reasonable amounts and watched what i ate without exercise or diet pills and lost 50ibs:macho just an update and letting people know it CAN be done.

mxpimp2000
12-25-2009, 06:31 PM
well it's been over two months and the first half i just ate 800 calories or less and the second half i ate reasonable amounts and watched what i ate without exercise or diet pills and lost 50ibs:macho just an update and letting people know it CAN be done.

wow looks like my plan but ill add some in home workout since its too cold to run and sprint to get the lungs in shape

buck440
12-25-2009, 07:15 PM
yah my next check is for some running shoes and a gym membership to tone up...you'll need *** loads of self control while on a diet especially around the holidays:tired:

RedRider08450r
12-25-2009, 07:28 PM
Im kinda in your shape wieghed 160 2 years ago and Im now 240ish becouse of surgery/being lazy. I was a huge motocross racer so I know how to eat and work out but my question is do any of those diet pills help. Id like to be 175ish by the spring so when I get my suspension rebuild It wont be a was of money. Also dont you loose a horse per 7 pounds.

buck440
12-25-2009, 08:45 PM
if your asking me about diet pills i never tried them...yet. and wtf do you mean buy a horse lol?

fastredrider44
12-25-2009, 09:18 PM
7 pounds per horsepower? Never heard that. Racing in the woods, a big guy has just as much of a chance as a skinny guy.

Canadian144
12-25-2009, 11:08 PM
I gotta lose some weight... the riding pants I picked out were the last ones left of that pattern (2009 Fox 360 SE, I have the jersey but didn't have the pants yet).

They are a size 36 ... my jean size is 34... but somehow I can't get them fully done up LOL. I tried them on in the store and I was like F it, I'll just get them.

So I gotta lose some weight... gonna cut out the fast food in the new year and start using the elliptical machine every night for 45 minutes on the "Fat burner" setting.

mxpimp2000
12-25-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by Canadian144
I gotta lose some weight... the riding pants I picked out were the last ones left of that pattern (2009 Fox 360 SE, I have the jersey but didn't have the pants yet).

They are a size 36 ... my jean size is 34... but somehow I can't get them fully done up LOL. I tried them on in the store and I was like F it, I'll just get them.

So I gotta lose some weight... gonna cut out the fast food in the new year and start using the elliptical machine every night for 45 minutes on the "Fat burner" setting.

im in sorta the same boat, i got some new gear still un opened and it fit perfect last time i tryed it and its 09 gear which they are not on the market anymore and cant find the gear no wheres. im focused on losing about 60lbs and i know the gear wont fit after that and ill be pissed!!:D