PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild questions

mittman
10-07-2009, 12:15 PM
Hey guys I havent been on here for awhile cause of work and what not but anyway. My buddy needs a senior project and he asked me what he could do and I told him if I can do it for pretty cheap ill let him rebuild my bike(he has done 2 of his so I trust him). My bike its pretty stock(see sig) plus im looking for a little bit more power out of it and figured why not. Im looking at 416 or 426 im leaning more towards the 426 I would do the 440 but higher maintenance and more $$. What do you guys recommend for the 426 keep in mind I dont want to have to run race gas and want to try to keep it relatively cheap but want it to be reliable. Open to any ideas Thanks in advance

Bill Martin
10-08-2009, 07:25 PM
A recreational P&P 412 with 12:1 and a stage two hot cam did wounders for mine. Runs on pump or race fuel and very dependable. Slip on pipe and working on doing the 450 carb mod.

Hope that helps.

TRXRacer1
10-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Bill Martin
A recreational P&P 412 with 12:1 and a stage two hot cam did wounders for mine. Runs on pump or race fuel and very dependable. Slip on pipe and working on doing the 450 carb mod.

Hope that helps. In general, suggesting to someone that its okay to run pump gas with a 12:1 setup on an air cooled is just bad advice. :grr:

mittman
10-08-2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah I was going to say 12:1 geez im not up on all this and even I know thats bad.

I guess no one has any opinions on what to run?

Bill Martin
10-09-2009, 10:50 AM
Well I've been doing it for three years with no prob.

You don't need race gas on a 12:1. All you guy's that think otherwise then you are the ones wasting your money on race gas.

I run 93 pump for practice and U4.2 on race days and like I seed I've been doing this for three years and had no problems at all.

The only reason I even use the race gas is I get a slightly better throttle response that's it. It doesn’t run any faster on it but the throttle response is better.

I gave you my input and you shot my idea down: like you know everything. If you did then you wouldn't be on here asking for advice. That just shows you how much you don’t know.

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRXRacer1
10-09-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by mittman
Yeah I was going to say 12:1 geez im not up on all this and even I know thats bad.

I guess no one has any opinions on what to run? Well there's a lot of options here and a few of them are just plain easy to pick.

1) You'll want a Hotcam. They're good cams and they don't require you to get hardened rockers. Take in all the opinions you like but the simplest way to choose what cam you want is on your power demands. If you want a stump puller then the stage 1. If you want a higher rev'in monster then stage 3. Looking for a compromise of both then the stage 2. All 3 cams are mild as far as what can be done to this motor so they are totally "drop in". You don't need a "stroker" to run the stage 3.

2) Working our way down here check the intake valves. The exhaust are pretty rock solid but the intakes can wear. Kibblewhite and Wiseco offer good replacements. Get the OEM valve seals and retainers. If you get in there just replace all the valve seals.

3) If you chose the stage 3 then you're looking for serious flow. A port and polish could help. If you're not looking to make a full out race engine with an aftermarket header, pipe, carb, CDI and run with no air box lid I wouldn't waste you're money. P&P's are pointless unless you go the distance.

4) Pick your piston comp with the fuel that is available, affordable and practical. You'd be surprised what a good 10:1 feels like paired with the right parts. I personally recommend the 10:1 if you go with a stock cam or stage 1 and you're a deep woods lugger. 11:1 if you're more of an open rider and go with a stage 2. The difference between a 416 and a 426 is going to be minimal so pick what ever one you think would be cool. Both are reliable regardless of internet myths. I'm a wiseco and JE guy but there are some cheaper alternatives that are proving to work well.

5) Odds and ends. Get some good gaskets. Mainly make sure the head gasket is a Multi-layered Steel gasket. They're simply cheap insurance and quality. Cometic knows what they're doing. If you're careful and don't over torque, the stock head studs should be fine. If you want to go HD with them right away you can do inserts or GT thunder studs. I prefer taking the cylinder to a machinist to have either brass or SS thread inserts installed that let you use the stock studs (the stock studs are plenty strong). If your cam chain is still tight, leave it alone. If it's loose use the CRF450 chain.

danzigg
10-09-2009, 05:50 PM
^ good job!!!

wrekd
10-09-2009, 09:34 PM
If you're ripping into it you might as well get the HD studs. Its cheap insurance and will save you some headaches. IMO, for a good all around setup, I would go with the 11:1 426 w/stage 2 Hotcam.

3or4HONDA
10-10-2009, 01:11 PM
TRXRacer1 did a nice job explaning this. I will tell you that i have been more than impressed with my setup Wiseco 87mm (416), 11:1, Stage 2 Hotcam, 450R carb, with K&N in and HMF out. i did not use HD studs but did put in a CRF timing chain aswell as new valve seals while i was in there. I am able to run with piped and jetted 450s and i havnt lost any reliability.

i am overall very happy with the setup and have been told many times how impressed other riders were with the ol' 4hundy!

hope this helps

mittman
10-10-2009, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Well I give you a ex of what I do with my bike I dont ride in sand or drag race it or race it at all. I never really have it pinned just cause of the terrian where im at but I will say it will happen a couple times but not 24/7. I ride mostly trail and use every gear its not in 5th for a extended period maybe a min or so if Im on a back road. I plan to go with a stage 2 hot cam. Any good places to order this from(plan to get everything at once if I can)I know motosport and rocky mtn but wasnt sure if you guys reccomend any other places.

mittman
10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Bill Martin
Well I've been doing it for three years with no prob.

You don't need race gas on a 12:1. All you guy's that think otherwise then you are the ones wasting your money on race gas.

I run 93 pump for practice and U4.2 on race days and like I seed I've been doing this for three years and had no problems at all.

The only reason I even use the race gas is I get a slightly better throttle response that's it. It doesn’t run any faster on it but the throttle response is better.

I gave you my input and you shot my idea down: like you know everything. If you did then you wouldn't be on here asking for advice. That just shows you how much you don’t know.

Have a nice day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Its a forum ideas get shot down all the time. Dont take it personal. P.S thanks for calling me stupid
:cool: