PDA

View Full Version : broken frame

camarodean1969
10-07-2009, 05:34 AM
Can anybody tell me a good upgrade for my sons drr90? He's not the most aggerssive rider but i try to get him that way. I have a small track i built him with some nice jumps. I think he is bottoming out the rear suspension. The frame broke right next to the top mount of the rear shock. He's about 70lbs and the thing says it's rated for 132LBS! I don't have alot of money to spend $800 on shocks all the way around. Just wondering if anybody has a used set around or is there anything else i can do or do i just have to pony up and get better shocks? He has red springs on his stock shocks. Thanks for any help!

hotquads1
10-07-2009, 07:47 AM
If you intend to race this quad on MX tracks the investment in shocks is highly recommended , once you brake the frame a couple of times and then brake an axle and bust a stock shock , the aftermarket shocks begin to make sense. Meanwhile you can swap the rear shock to an oem drr black coil shock and it will be better suited for your driver, very inexpensive.

Coley'sdad#8
10-07-2009, 08:25 AM
definately go with the good long travel suspension and long travel shocks if you intend on racing or even riding hard like he is doing. All the horsepower in the world is useless if you cant ride the bike without it beating your rider and scaring him when he bottoms out. You can pick up used stuff on here piece by piece but remember to get the good stuff, you dont want to buy it twice.

bulldogfallon
10-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Sounds like your riding is stepping it up for sure with the jumps..

There are 2 red rear shocks...1 is soft and plush and the other barely moves even with adult weight pressing down on the back

Which do you have?

As Marc stated their is a medium strength black coil rear shock that will help.

You will need to gusset the frame no matter waht shocks you use

Use the link below for reference (courtesy of Hot Quads)

http://www.g-forcepowersports.com/gusseting.html

camarodean1969
10-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Thanks for the replys! There is a couple diffrent shocks to pick from as far as fox or elkas is one of these better for the money than the other? The other question is do i have to change the swing arm and the front arms to be able to run these long travel shocks you talk about? How much more travel do you gain? Thanks for any help!

hotquads1
10-07-2009, 11:08 AM
yes to gain full ong travel you must buy a-arms and swingarm for the longer shocks, this set-up would have about 2" more travel than just adding shocks. Fox and Elka are both good products but I prefer Elka.
marc

10-07-2009, 12:22 PM
I have a brand new set of Elkas I just got from Gary for sale as wel as a rear black (stiffer) shock

bulldogfallon
10-07-2009, 02:40 PM
We are running Motowoz shocks now

kfx450
10-07-2009, 05:41 PM
we have went with hls shocks. They are a great shock for the money and they set them up for the rider.