PDA

View Full Version : Pilot Screw Question

rocketruss14
10-06-2009, 10:36 PM
I'm new to Jetting.

I just installed a full HMF Ballance Exhaust, KN air Filter and outerwears airbox cover. I jetted it with a Dyno Jet kit from Moose Racing

The Jet Kit recommended not running without a air box lid and Recommended I start with a 128 Main Jet. Since I am running without the air box lid I went with a 132. I also used the Fuel needle on the 4th groove like it recommended. The Kit recommended I turn the fuel mixture screw out only 1.5 turns.

Well when I got done I started it and it was backfiring really bad and shooting flames out. All this was on the decelaration. Accelerration felt good. Also the header seemed to get hot fast and turn golden but being a new pipe Im not sure. I went to trouble shoot it and the Kit recommended I turn the mixture scew out .5 turns at a time. Well seeing as how bad the back firing was I turned it out 1 turn and it seemed to help(slightly less back firing).

I ended up 4.5 turns out. I also put two screens that came with the HFM pipe into the silencer. I assume one of them is the spark arrester.

Ok finally my question is if its running good at 4.5 turns out can I leave it there? I have read some of the other threads and they say to change the pilot jet. Well I am looking at my honda service manual and I see Pilot Screw(fuel mixture screw) but not a pilot jet.

So my other question is which jet is the pilot jet?

Sorry so much in here wanted to tell the whole story to help get an answer.

Thanks.

wckedclownz69
10-06-2009, 10:48 PM
go higher on your main.. im runnin hmf slip on with new airfilter no lid and i have a 175 main in mine on 3rd clip... im in pa tho

rocketruss14
10-07-2009, 08:48 AM
I have read some of the forums and they say don't touch the main jet if my accelaration is good. They say change the pilot jet. I don't know which the pilot jet is.

but if its ok to leave the pilot screw 4.5 turns out then I will do that rather then mess with it anymore.

thanks.

jpfmotors
10-07-2009, 08:58 AM
wckedclownz69 looks like you have an 05 whitch has a different carb than an 06 like rocketruss14 my 06 am running i think a 168 main jet air box lid off. i would trie that with the air screw 2 turns out

Scro
10-07-2009, 09:52 AM
A good starting point is 2 turns out on the fuel screw, 168-172 main, 48-50 pilot. The pilot jet is the smaller jet, next too your main jet. The stock one should be a 42. You will have to take the float bowl off to access it. If you have an adjustable needle, lower the clip 1 notch. A 132 with the airbox lid removed is way too lean. This is causing your header to turn red, and subsequently will cause premature overheating.

jpfmotors
10-07-2009, 01:40 PM
Hey Scro i just bought an 06 to replace my 05 I tore the carb apart to check to see what jets are in it i noticed there are 2 jets one on eather side or the main jet is that correct and if so i think one is a slow jet and one a pilot jet am i correct?

rocketruss14
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Well I called around to the local shops and all of them said they can't get any pilot jets till next week. I looked on JetsrUS and they can't send anything till next week also. I also got some more infor from their website. Its the slow jet thats called the pilot jet. I can access that without removing the float bowl.

JPFMOTORs I am looking at the manual and on one side is the slowjet(pilot Jet according to JetsrUS page) the other side is the starter jet. Not sure what the starter jet does unless its what the name means its for starting?

I really want to race at the mideast race in SC this weekend and the kit I bought didn't come with any pilot jets just main jets. So I put the lid back on and seeing how everyone said 132(dyno Jet) was to lean I went to a 140(Dyno Jet) and it seems to run good will pull the front end up in 4th. I also backed the pilot screw to 2.5 turns out and it works good.

I also found that with the pilot screw 4.5 turns out it will fall out when you give it some throttle. LOL

I am going to order some more sizes and still play around.

Anyone think I am still in danger of over heating with a 140 Main and the lid on with the HMF? It still gets hot. I need to look at my spark plug.

Scro
10-07-2009, 03:18 PM
You should be OK running 140 main with the lid on. You're not going to have as much power, as you would with the lid off, but you're not going to be overheating because of the jetting. That's good to know you can change the pilot without removing the float. I've always just removed the bowl.

JPF, one is a starter jet and one is pilot jet. I've never messed with my starter jet, so I wouldn't know what size it is. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the pilot jet is the bigger of the two physically.

jpfmotors
10-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Thanks its making sense now thanks