PDA

View Full Version : tnt

draygarcia
10-06-2009, 10:01 PM
ok i checked that stuff and look fine and i rode it for like a hour today and it acted fine so i dont know but i got a few questions ok first i just order the motor works sr4 can i just take the lid off air box or do i need a k and n or what i need to do and i want to put a set of pro tapers on but have no idea what i need or where to find them and i was thinking about putting 18 on the rear would that help wit the speed or what will thanks anything really helps

TNT
10-07-2009, 12:09 AM
Weird about the engine light. Oh well hopefully it stays off. You should be able to put the SR4 on cut the pink wire take the lid off and run fine no K&N but later there are some better filters/intakes, like Rossier, K&N, FCI, etc...Pro Taper bar I am not sure maybe someone else knows, we run FLEXX.

I think you got the 08 X model right w/ 20 X 10 X 9 rears? You could go to 18s that would help get you more bottom end for MX. Try that first see how it goes.

THEMACHINIST
10-07-2009, 03:30 AM
Hey TNT what size of sprocket do you run (front and rear)

Blizzard24
10-07-2009, 07:33 AM
If you have the SR4 slip on, you will be fine with the pink wire cut and the lid off, if you have the full system, you will be lean.

TNT
10-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Yeah Chris maybe your right especially in NM dry hot weather Dray is in. I guess if your fan comes on often that may be an indicator or exhaust gas color, or look at your plugs for a light tan color, engine light or limp mode..... Let’s see we use to run carbs WOT then shut it down pull the plugs to jet it. If you really want to tune the quad a PC 3 or PC 5 is good.

We run stock 09 gearing and tires, I think it’s a 13 or 14 tooth up front. 38 in back and 18 rear tires 20 front, seems to work good for us but we got good torque out of our motor.

ml450r
10-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I think stock mx gearing is 14-39

yfzracer14
10-07-2009, 07:12 PM
13/38, 18" tires, race engine

draygarcia
10-07-2009, 10:18 PM
where could i get a pc3 or 5 and what you mean fan or exhaust color or tan plugs what are you explianing i got lost

TNT
10-07-2009, 11:28 PM
Sorry! Ok lets see if I can explain better…

PC 3 or 5 lets start there……

See when you put on a pipe and take off the lid there is a pink wire you cut to access a factory ‘race map’. That map helps keep the motor tune (puts out the right amount of fuel out the fuel injector to mix with air from the intake). Since the SR4 is better than stock pipe a new MAP is needed. A “MAP” is nothing more than that a road map to determine how much fuel to deliver.

Well this “race map” if the pipe is really good like a Sr4 full system at exhaust will not deliver enough fuel for the amount of air, the good pipe gets ' out of range' of the race map sorta speak, so we need a fuel tuner like PC 3 to tune the map or create a new one (sorta speak) to get the fuel and air to mix right, not be lean or rich. This becomes true as we do more mod’s.

If the quad does get lean a few things will happen, one the you’ll notice the fan will stay on more than it use to keep the quad cool since a lean mixture makes the motor run hotter, especially in New Mexico where the air is already dry and hot where you live. What also happens when lean is the spark plugs, if you were to pull them out would be a light tan color meaning that there is mostly air (lean) in the combustion chamber. If the plugs were dark it mean too much fuel, if there were oil on the plugs blow by or worn rings, etc….so looking at the plugs on any engine is a good way to see how things are doing inside the motor.

You got an 08 so another product available is the PC-5, it’s more complicated and expensive, for what you are doing just adding a pipe PC 3 is fine and cheaper.

I know that was a little long but wanted you to understand how everything works.

What I would do is if you are buying the slip-on only, take the lid off, cut the pink and you’re probably good. If you are buying the full SR4 system put it on, cut the pink, take off the lid and go run the quad. If your fan stays on more than it was or the engine light comes on come back out here and let us know. Don’t worry about the plugs for now.

Tell ya though I was chatting with Motoworks today and those guy’s really got this quad figured out, their pipe, motors, products have really come a long way since the beginning of the season. You might want to consider their pipe and later their "works package" head (you send them your head they send you back theirs you bolt it on, pipe and all). If I were buying a pipe now I get theirs and thier head later or when I wanted more reliable power. From what I hear Motorworks is working on some big ticket items so we can all tap into some awesome power on these quads in the near future.

Blizzard24
10-08-2009, 04:33 AM
Another way of telling you have a lean condition is if you let off the gas and you get a "popping" sound. I ran the Full Motoworks SR4 with just the pink wire mod and lid off and when I chopped the gas it would pop. I added Motoworks FMI and the quad pulls so much harder and no more popping.

I am sure the PC3 and PC5 are great if you are looking for engine mods down the road, but if you want something simple that is tuned exactly for the quad w the SR4 pipe, get the motoworks FMI. You can find them for about $50-80 less than the PC3 and the Map for the SR4 is pre programmed into the FMI already.

draygarcia
10-08-2009, 10:10 PM
thanks i understand now i let you know how it goes when i get the pipe in and in the future i probaly look into that head thing but ya i let you know how everything goes though thanks guys hopefully i get this hole bike figured out to a t till them i keep coming back to ask you guys thanks