PDA

View Full Version : truck question

atvnut22
10-06-2009, 08:26 PM
my buddys selling his truck, a 94 chevrolet z71, extended cab 6.5 turbo diesel for 4000 obo. its a clean truck but i havent really heard much about these engines. do you thing it is worth that much. are their any problems with these trucks. if i were to buy it, it would end up getting a 2-3 in body lift, and tires. are parts hard to find for these engines, or anything that you want to add in. thanks in advance.

cosinostra
10-06-2009, 08:32 PM
Check around on the forums about that engine.. A couple of people I know had a bunch of problems with them. Not sure what kind but they ended up selling them pretty quick after they bought them.....

Mud Goat
10-06-2009, 10:08 PM
i work on diesels for a living and other than pucking oil everywere
and not having a whole lot of power they are indestructable. know were one's at with 400,000 miles on the ticker, gets 17mpg and still has good compression. :D

wckedclownz69
10-06-2009, 10:21 PM
if i would get a diesel its gonna be a cummins..

ngates788
10-07-2009, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by wckedclownz69
if i would get a diesel its gonna be a cummins..

im a die hard chevy freak but ya when it comes down to diesel cummins all the way

brian76708
10-07-2009, 12:29 PM
yea id stick to either a 7.3 powerstroke or a 5.9 12 valve cummins just be prepared to buy a new trans if u get a cummins.

mittman
10-07-2009, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
yea id stick to either a 7.3 powerstroke or a 5.9 12 valve cummins just be prepared to buy a new trans if u get a cummins.

Autos yes I know I went threw one but manual no. If you build the auto with semi good internals(not just rebuild it will the stock parts) it will last a good while as long as your not throwing a lot of power at it.

brian76708
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by mittman
Autos yes I know I went threw one but manual no. If you build the auto with semi good internals(not just rebuild it will the stock parts) it will last a good while as long as your not throwing a lot of power at it.

yes correct, i meant to put automatic.

fastredrider44
10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Those motors are tough. They aren't as good as some by any means, but for a half ton, they are exceptional IMO. They get better fuel mileage than gas burners of that model, and they have much more torque. If you're wanting to hotrod it, it may not be the truck to have, but for a general truck, they're decent.

atvnut22
10-07-2009, 02:55 PM
not gonna be a muscle truck. it will be a quad hauler, pull trailers, if annything it would get a small lift and 33's, or or a little more and 35's. i ll post some pics later on

ECOR#8
10-07-2009, 05:55 PM
ive heard both good and bad about these engines. if i was you i would check out fullsizechevy.com if you want more input on this truck... if u mention about buying be prepared to post some pics too or you'll never hear the end of it:rolleyes:

atvnut22
10-07-2009, 07:25 PM
heres the truck

Mud Goat
10-07-2009, 08:06 PM
thats a nice lookin ride, i like the newer model 'custom' wheels:D
trucks looks really familiar actually, what part of kentucky are you from?

atvnut22
10-07-2009, 08:11 PM
hes from up around whitesville, actually in fordsville, ohio county. i found out theirs only one dent, from where his gf's mom clipped it with her mirror. but it has 278k miles, which i know isnt as bad on a deisel, but i still have to think about suspension having that many miles.:confused:

Mud Goat
10-07-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by atvnut22
hes from up around whitesville, actually in fordsville, ohio county. i found out theirs only one dent, from where his gf's mom clipped it with her mirror. but it has 278k miles, which i know isnt as bad on a deisel, but i still have to think about suspension having that many miles.:confused:

i asked bc my friend drove a truck looked identical to that, you could park it next to that one and you'd forget which one was which. as far as suspention goes as long as it didn't get the **** beat out of it every weekend it should be fine, dads powerstroke has 250k of hard work, pullin it's gut out and it's never skipped a beat. the tranny is what you be worried about, i'd drive it and make sure it isn't slippin. check the tranny fluid an see if it smells burnt, looks black, of anythng like that. If i had m guess, it is the 4l80e trans and that will be your weekest link. it is a automatic right????