PDA

View Full Version : tameing my yz?

jarfly
10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Yes thats right. I want to kill some of the power of this best for a wile till i get use to ridein death trap. This is my first bike.I have read about flywheel weights. But beside that I dont know what to do. It has to much power for me to handle atm. Also how can I get it sittin lower? I set the forks dow and the back shock half way and I still can't get both feet flat footed on it. All so I can't just go and buy a smaller bike..If I get rid of this one I can't get another one and see no point in downsizeing just to have to buy another bike atter I can ride good.

hondariderdylan
10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
what kind of mods are done to it?

if there are some then you can go and undo some of them to set the bikes power as close to stock as you can get it

10-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Right wrist mod.

jarfly
10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
onley thing is fmf fatty/shorty combo and a uni. besides that its stock. Yes im tryin to make a yz250 a newb bike.lol. The bigest bike I have road was a crf230 and wow this yz makes it fill like a pw50..If I step up the gearing will it make it better? Im tryin not to get killed on this ting. I have allready broke my hand on it.

flammable
10-05-2009, 11:50 PM
heavier flywieght.

10-06-2009, 12:52 AM
how old are you? just curious it seems you took a step too far and its a bit of a bad way to learn to ride something. set it so it wont go full throttle. you should be able to do that in the throttle assemly or on the carb. make the slide only go up like 3/4 of the way or less at full throttle movement.

KXRida
10-06-2009, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by jarfly
Yes thats right. I want to kill some of the power of this best for a wile till i get use to ridein death trap. This is my first bike.I have read about flywheel weights. But beside that I dont know what to do. It has to much power for me to handle atm. Also how can I get it sittin lower? I set the forks dow and the back shock half way and I still can't get both feet flat footed on it. All so I can't just go and buy a smaller bike..If I get rid of this one I can't get another one and see no point in downsizeing just to have to buy another bike atter I can ride good.

First off, fly wheel weights don't "decrease power." They just shift the power curve, mostly used by woods riders. As far as sitting lower you can adjust your forks and sag, but your bike will handle like a turd. You can however buy a lowering link (there are a few aftermarket ones out) to help you there or shave your seat some. 101 on a bike, you don't want to be flat footed if possible. You want your toes and the balls of your feet touching. As far as the power issues, you're pretty much stuck with them. Either gotta learn how to ride it or get another bike. I don't know what to tell ya.

hondariderdylan
10-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by jarfly
onley thing is fmf fatty/shorty combo and a uni. besides that its stock. Yes im tryin to make a yz250 a newb bike.lol. The bigest bike I have road was a crf230 and wow this yz makes it fill like a pw50..If I step up the gearing will it make it better? Im tryin not to get killed on this ting. I have allready broke my hand on it.

search around and see if you can get a stock exhuast setup to choke it down some

other than that i know nothing about bikes:p

usp4u
10-06-2009, 12:06 PM
you will have a hard time lowering the power output. but you can "tame" the hit. look for a woods pipe, like an FMF Gnarly with a quiet, spark arrestor silencer, like a Q2 or something. heavy flywheel weight hit tame the hit too, but you will still have just as much power...just more controlable. Does the YZ have an adjustable power valve like an RM ? If so, you can lessen the "hit" even further there. Read up on reed cages, I know there some sdjustable ones out there. Also, try jetting the thing a little on the rich side. If it's in good mechanical order you really should be able to make it a little sluggish through jetting, although you may go through more plugs this way.

fastredrider44
10-06-2009, 12:29 PM
trade someone for a 125 and be done with it.

KXRida
10-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
you will have a hard time lowering the power output. but you can "tame" the hit. look for a woods pipe, like an FMF Gnarly with a quiet, spark arrestor silencer, like a Q2 or something. heavy flywheel weight hit tame the hit too, but you will still have just as much power...just more controlable. Does the YZ have an adjustable power valve like an RM ? If so, you can lessen the "hit" even further there. Read up on reed cages, I know there some sdjustable ones out there. Also, try jetting the thing a little on the rich side. If it's in good mechanical order you really should be able to make it a little sluggish through jetting, although you may go through more plugs this way.

Even anymore the woods pipes flow well enough that they still have some performance gains. I don't believe the yz has an adjustable powervalve. You can put a "torque spacer" inbetween the reed cage and carb. I used to run one and it made my bike run worse so I never ran one again. As far as jetting the bike, I would not advise this at all. Pretty much it is what it is. Just kinda have to do the best with what ya got.

ProspectorJim
10-06-2009, 12:56 PM
You could ride it a gear high. It'll load up alot, but you won't have to worry about the powerband.

jesseweaver
10-06-2009, 01:26 PM
you should be fine if you can't get both your feet flat. i can barely get both toes down on my yz250f and i can ride it fine. ricky carmichael was what 5'5"? somewhere around there and he can man handle that 450. i bet both his toes don't even touch.

10-06-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
you should be fine if you can't get both your feet flat. i can barely get both toes down on my yz250f and i can ride it fine. ricky carmichael was what 5'5"? somewhere around there and he can man handle that 450. i bet both his toes don't even touch.

He used to use a stool to get on it:p I remember that.

My advice, trade it for a 125. 125's are still pretty damn quick and a lot easier to learn on.

Or, yes im about to say this, trade it for a 250f. A 4-stroke bike can be torqued around easier.

chillinsk8err
10-06-2009, 01:54 PM
change the gearing, trim the seat heaver flywheel though a stock pipe on there pipes make a huge differnet with when power comes on.

wckedclownz69
10-06-2009, 04:07 PM
no wonder why at the end of races he just layed his bike over....

usp4u
10-06-2009, 04:50 PM
RC also ran a lowered subframe

muddy400EX
10-06-2009, 08:31 PM
sounds to me like you need a 250f!

Tommy Warren
10-06-2009, 08:51 PM
sounds to me like you need a high chair and a soother.:blah:

KXRida
10-06-2009, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Tommy Warren
sounds to me like you need a high chair and a soother.:blah:

haha I knew someone was going to chime in with this :p

jarfly
10-06-2009, 10:32 PM
I hate to do it but im gettin rid of her tomaro :( But im gettin a 92 chevy fullsize 305ho 4spd bulldog . Im wanting to keep my bike but I have to have a good truck to get to work. Thanks guy for the help on this bike. And yes I will have another but it'll be a 4 stroke. I dont wanna get killed tryin to ride this thing and thats whats goin to happin. Im just to small for this thing. 5'5" 120lbs soakin wet.lol Im goin to try to get a 230 or a 250 street/trail. no Im not goin to stop ridein just goin be on a 500rubicon for a wile.

usp4u
10-07-2009, 05:25 AM
all you need is more time in the seat, man. my first bike at age 15 was a CR250. Prior to that my only seat time on a bike was breaking my leg on my buddy's CR80. I scared myself on that 250 alot, but after a while it was no problem. just respect that if you get into a battle with it, the bike will win everytime.