PDA

View Full Version : 2007 400EX Smoking no more than 35 hours

rcracer
10-05-2009, 06:45 PM
I own a 2007 400ex and it is smoking, it hasn't been run hard mostly trails, not more than 35 hours on it since new. I removed the baffle in the exhaust could this cause it. Help don't want to ring it

rooster300ex
10-06-2009, 09:15 AM
it may of not been broke in properly by the dealership. removing the baffle won't make it smoke. does it smoke all the time? does it smell like burnt oil?

rcracer
10-06-2009, 10:52 AM
It definitely smells like oil and is white/blue it doesnt burn enough to foul the plug, but looks like a 2 cycle wheeler. smoke decreases with 20w50 oil.

rooster300ex
10-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Needs new rings i bet. or some how oil is getting into the combustion chamber

IcutMetl
10-07-2009, 09:05 PM
Not still under warranty, is it? I agree with the other guys; sounds like it wasn't broken in properly...but that's pretty hard to say. 400ex's are damn near bulletproof and it's unlikely (but not impossible) that you got a bad motor in my opinion.

rcracer
10-08-2009, 05:11 AM
It started smoking at 3 weeks old, I took it to the dealer and they said the air filter was so packed with mud that it had run rich and washed the cylinder walls with gas and the smoking will stop after a few runs. Well I hadn't even rode the wheeler out of my friends pasture it hadn't ever gone through water or mud we mainly used it to follow and repair fence post. When I told them that they said it deffinately was packed solid with mud, and to that point nobody else but myself had ridden it, so I knew they gave me the run around. Don't want to have to rebuild a new engine........BEWARE of CYCLE CITY IN ERIE PA......POOR CUSTOMER SRVICE.

rooster300ex
10-15-2009, 02:25 PM
If the air filter wasn't maintained properly that could cause the rings to go bad by letting dirty air get into the combustion chamber

IcutMetl
10-15-2009, 07:05 PM
Keeping your air filter religiously clean is a big step in owning a long lasting engine.

coryatver
10-15-2009, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by rcracer
It started smoking at 3 weeks old, I took it to the dealer and they said the air filter was so packed with mud that it had run rich and washed the cylinder walls with gas and the smoking will stop after a few runs. Well I hadn't even rode the wheeler out of my friends pasture it hadn't ever gone through water or mud we mainly used it to follow and repair fence post. When I told them that they said it deffinately was packed solid with mud, and to that point nobody else but myself had ridden it, so I knew they gave me the run around. Don't want to have to rebuild a new engine........BEWARE of CYCLE CITY IN ERIE PA......POOR CUSTOMER SRVICE.

cycle city is horrible. You do know you don't have to take it to where you bought it you can take it to any honda dealer for warranty work world of wheels in seneca pa and the honda dealer in corry, pa are good

rcracer
10-16-2009, 05:15 AM
We tried to take it to Hectors Honda in Jamestown, they said seeing you didnt buy it here we will get to it when we can, it could be a couple of months.........so we didn't have any luck there also.:mad:

coryatver
10-17-2009, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by rcracer
We tried to take it to Hectors Honda in Jamestown, they said seeing you didnt buy it here we will get to it when we can, it could be a couple of months.........so we didn't have any luck there also.:mad:

wow that is horrible. Obviously you are there because you are not happy with another dealer and they could gain another frequent customer if they took care of you. They must not like to make money:huh

John Noftsinger
10-27-2009, 06:14 PM
I thought if you take out baffle without jetting your leaning it out? and the airfilter being packed with mud will kill a motor if ridden long in that condition.

rcracer
10-27-2009, 07:15 PM
They said the air filter was plugged but it never was that was one of the things we checked before we took it inat the most it had some hay seed NO MUD or heavy dirt, even with the baffle out it was real thick trail riding at lower speeds because of the amount of turns and timber laying in trails.

smw450r
11-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I've seen this problem before actually more than once on honda's it's always been the oil ring's so far, but honestly if i was you i would do it yourself it's actually very easy to do and alot cheaper than a shop if your nervous about doing it buy a manual for your bike and go from there

400EXcuses
11-06-2009, 12:14 PM
mine did the same thing i adjusted the valves and it came out of it

sonof_perdition
11-10-2009, 08:11 AM
A few calls and some well written letters as well as emails to everyone that works at the location you bought it as well as honda corporate might get the ball rolling in your favor. Just dont cuss or swear in your letters or calls. Be patient and very persistant. Who is going to win?

rcracer
11-10-2009, 03:20 PM
We wrote some very polite letters and the only thing we got was aletter from Honda customer service stating they had contacted the dealer and was told it was customer abuse and lack of maintenance, there isn't even scrathes on the plastic, and nobody at any level at the dealership ever responded.

lpmaster
11-11-2009, 12:31 AM
is there any kind of residue on the plug itself, generally if you're bruning enough oil to present a constant stream of smoke it will be pretty apparent on the plug itself. also does it smoke no matter the temp of the bike? as in once it warms up does the smoke decrease or increase? maybe a short vid of the smoke? water in your gas?

rcracer
11-11-2009, 08:01 AM
The plug is a little dark, but not oil fouled by any means. It smokes less when warm but it does leave a trail of smoke anytime. I have a 1990 Yamaha that has been used and abused since new and it still doesn't smoke and starts much easier than this honda does. QUESS I GO BACK TO YAMAHA if I can unload this junk.

IcutMetl
11-11-2009, 11:10 AM
I would take a bunch of very detailed pictures of your 400ex, showing it's good condition. Take pictures of the plug, compression tester, various parts of the engine, etc. Contact Honda again, and send them this information- explain to them in the most professional way possible that what your dealer claimed was wrong and detail how you maintain your 'wheeler. I would also throw in the part about your 1990 Yamaha. In my opinion, a 400ex with this kind of a problem does NOT happen very often. I had a buddy that bought a '99 when they first came out, and seriously rode that thing for all it was worth for 4-5 years (changed oil of course, but not nearly as reguarly as I did) before it started to show smoke. You bought a great 'wheeler, and it just sounds like you're getting f'ed by your dealer?? Nothing wrong with Yamahas of course, but would hate to see you give up on red. I would be irritated too, though.