PDA

View Full Version : TRX 250R shifting problem-Please Help

rablack21
10-05-2009, 03:24 PM
I have an 86 trx 250r with a shifting problem. It isn't the clutches or basket. They are both new and aftermarket. This is the problem. The shaft that the shifter slides onto seems to have some play in it. It will move in and out of the motor about 3/16-1/4 of an inch. When I push the shaft in, it won't shift gears, up or down. When I pull the shaft out, I can shift both up and down. The problem is when I am riding it, the shaft slides in, and I can't shift. I'm sure this has happened to someone here before. Can anyone tell me why it has the play? What part is messed up? Any help would be appreciated.

86 Quad R
10-05-2009, 03:59 PM
there is sposed to be a bit of end play there at the shifter but none like what your saying and there isnt(that i'm aware of) any part(spacer) in the clutch cover that would be missing allowing the movement that you have but is a raised machined area built into the case cover that serves as a "stop" to prevent the shifter end play. my suggestion is to remove the clutch cover and inspect things in that location. :cool:

RyanWsly
10-05-2009, 09:30 PM
I agree that it shouldn't be moving that much, not sure about that, but check and make sure you have the washer/spacer looking thing on. There is a lever on the end of the shaft and a pin that sticks through it, there should be a washer/spacer that looks like one for a hole in a fender that goes on there behind the lever, kinda hard to explain what I'm talking about, but it will make it shift funky if it's missing.

rablack21
10-06-2009, 07:08 AM
I will check both of those things out. Thanks for the info.

mxduner
10-07-2009, 01:58 AM
yea i would check the online fiche on service honda or other dealers under the tranny section. sound like a shim is missing with that much play

jon370r
10-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Could be the inside of your clutch cover is worn where the shift shaft is held. The only thing that keeps the shaft in place is the cast surface on the cover when its bolted in place.

rablack21
10-08-2009, 07:28 AM
Just an update for you guys. Jon370r, you are right on the money. So this is what I did to fix it in case anyone else has this problem. I took a dremel tool and cut a small groove in the shifting shaft as close to the case as I could. I then put a c-clip in the groove. A friend of mine told me this trick. It works like a charm. I know there are other ways of fixing this problem, but this one is definately faster and less expensive.

86 Quad R
10-08-2009, 07:32 AM
good deal!! :cool: i suspected that may have been the issue. glad you got her up en running. :)

jon370r
10-08-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by rablack21
Just an update for you guys. Jon370r, you are right on the money. So this is what I did to fix it in case anyone else has this problem. I took a dremel tool and cut a small groove in the shifting shaft as close to the case as I could. I then put a c-clip in the groove. A friend of mine told me this trick. It works like a charm. I know there are other ways of fixing this problem, but this one is definately faster and less expensive.

Glad to help out and good idea for a fix. As more and more parts get impossible to find these are the ideas that are going to keep the 250R's up and running for years to come.