PDA

View Full Version : lowering subframe?

wayfastwhitey69
10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
ive posted this before and didnt get much for replies so im gunna try again. i wanna lower my subframe over the winter and wanted to know where to cut from how much to cut off and where to drill the new holes. any pics or diagrams would be helpful. thanks

flyboy450r
10-05-2009, 10:03 PM
I second that

10-06-2009, 08:50 AM
ill post some pics soon

flyboy450r
10-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Any pics yet

BlackTrx440ex
10-19-2009, 01:54 PM
i lowered mine last winter and i love it!! handles great

flyboy450r
10-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Come on some one has to help us out. Put a write up on the site or a pic something just throw us a bone

10-19-2009, 08:56 PM
I have a few questions, 1st off why? I just saw handling above, 2nd is how? 3rd is what about your swingarm when you bottom out? Will it hit with a long travel setup?

10-20-2009, 07:27 AM
I did it to my bikes and everything bolted right back up with no problems, the swingarm doesnt hit anything when bottomed out. i run a houser swingarm with houser link and a houser airbox lifter kit. All i did was cut 3/8 of an inch off the bottom rails of my sub frame, and on mine both the factory slugs were still all their so i just re-drilled and cleaned it up a bit for it to work, the only problem i had was the rear break, i had to make my own little pieces to go in their as you can see from the pictures i added.

I like it im 6'1 and i really like how it corners and handles through the whoops and rough stuff.

Sorry bike is dirty, also there isnt much to show in pictures only this i think other than that it looks like a normal bike.

You can see were i had to grind away the break master cylinder bracket to get the sub frame to go down into the hole. also you can see the little pieces of aluminum holding my break away a bit i needed to do that so it would work properly. i hope this helps.

10-20-2009, 07:30 AM
You can see how the bike sits alot lower in the back from this picture. the grab bar is 2 inch's lower than a stock set up.

BlackTrx440ex
10-20-2009, 03:49 PM
we had to modify my exaust mounts and the brake master cylinder in the rear

WhiteZee
10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Roostar 450
I did it to my bikes and everything bolted right back up with no problems, the swingarm doesnt hit anything when bottomed out. i run a houser swingarm with houser link and a houser airbox lifter kit. All i did was cut 3/8 of an inch off the bottom rails of my sub frame, and on mine both the factory slugs were still all their so i just re-drilled and cleaned it up a bit for it to work, the only problem i had was the rear break, i had to make my own little pieces to go in their as you can see from the pictures i added.

I like it im 6'1 and i really like how it corners and handles through the whoops and rough stuff.

Sorry bike is dirty, also there isnt much to show in pictures only this i think other than that it looks like a normal bike.

You can see were i had to grind away the break master cylinder bracket to get the sub frame to go down into the hole. also you can see the little pieces of aluminum holding my break away a bit i needed to do that so it would work properly. i hope this helps. did you just move the holes back 3/8 then cut the excess off? did you have to modify the airbox or intake boot? iv thought about doing this to mine.

10-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Yes I just drilled new holes and cut off the extra at the bottom, and no I did not have to do anything to my airbox everything works the same

rollie
10-23-2009, 12:22 PM
hrm, i wonder if this would work with the JB superlink set up, i have a spare subframe i might just to hack it up and see!

spanky101
10-23-2009, 12:52 PM
Find out Rollie!! You know you want to :blah:

rollie
10-23-2009, 01:26 PM
so i drill a hole 3/8ths of an inch higher than the original center to center roostar? then just saw off the excess and bolt it back up?

10-23-2009, 02:02 PM
Yes on all 3 of my bikes the Aluminum slugs went up that high so i didnt have to re-slug them, but your gonna have to grind away at your master cylinder bracket, you can see in the picture of what i mean

Arrow #1 is master cylinder bracket you can see how i grinded it away.

Arrow #2 you can see the aluminum pieces i made to make the brake work.

Arrow #3 you can see how far up i had to bring the nut up for it to work as well, your going to cut off a bit of the threads on that piece.

Anymore Q's just ask and if you need anymore pics let me know.

10-23-2009, 02:03 PM
Also in the pic you can see my bad***** homemade rath heel guard lower fender brackets...

spanky101
10-23-2009, 03:45 PM
Looks good man, I think an adjustable subframe would be sick too. Tons more work but would be cool in the end for different peoples taste. I think that Walsh makes one already but thats not nearly as cool as making your own! :D