PDA

View Full Version : Friends 400ex not starting.

RoadRage77
10-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Its an 06(with reverse). We started it up friday night. It was a lil pain in the butt at first to start but then I got it running. We got to the mountains and the bike just would not start at all. I told him leave the bike at my house Ill fix it. Well, soon as I pop the air box off, Yikes.. Full of water.. I got that all out, tossed the air filter. I took the carb off (stock) whole bike is stock).. I took apart the carb and cleaned it all up. Still would not fire up.. I added starting fluid... even waited 30mins. still nothing.. then I tried my old stock carb... still wont start, I tried the ign. module off my bike.. still nothing. even the rectifier, and coil pack with the plug.. STILL NOTHING.. I took the valve cover off and checked timing. Dead on.. timing chain tight as can be, and valves are within tolerance. I put it all back together. still wont start. It will crank over n over. Plug is wet, carb sucking plenty of air cause no air filter now and lastly I tried the spark test. I know i know.. shoulda tried it first... been a long weekend. well, I put a brand new plug in the wire, held it against the motor as I cranked it over and no spark... What gives.. I even tried mine same results.. I dont have a Volt meter in my hands quite yet, but do you guys have any suggestions... I dont wanna tear the head off, as its not my bike.. and I still have my 2 other 400's to get back together.. My head is about to explode trying to mess with this thing.. So... I want only the 400ex guru's advice.... Thanks

wrekd
10-04-2009, 11:22 PM
Did you check the fuse??

Edit: nevermind, its cranking over. My bad...lol

Good luck.

rodeo#11
10-05-2009, 10:52 AM
i would say once you do get ahold of a volt meter check the spark plug wire stat! make sure that it's giving the proper voltage.. only other thing i could think of is the regulator? not to much on wiring but i did have a similar problem like this once and it turned out to be the spark plug wire was shot....hope this helps

RoadRage77
10-06-2009, 08:47 PM
Hey Rodeo, thanks for the reply. I have 2-400exs myself. I tried most of the electrical off of my bike and put it on his. And still nothing.. Im gonna go play with the bike a little more. It bothers me I can't get this thing to start.

wckedclownz69
10-06-2009, 09:15 PM
check the kill switch ive had it break on the inside and keep turning over but not start...

RoadRage77
10-06-2009, 09:37 PM
hey wckedclownz69, I took the switch off the bars and played with it because the headlights were not working at first.. So they do light up now, but when I did the spark test.. plug in the wire and put up against the cylinder as you crank it over.. it wont even spark..

RoadRage77
10-06-2009, 09:38 PM
Also, I ever tried using the coil/plug from my other 400ex that i know runs.. and still nothing..

quadrider00
10-06-2009, 09:45 PM
check the peak volts from the pulser coil and the voltage out of the stator... those r the most common problems on atvs and dirt bikes

white tails
10-07-2009, 01:41 PM
try the red kill switch on the handbars.. lol i did that once wouldnt start changed plug, looked at my handlebars and it was on "kill"not "run"