PDA

View Full Version : Rear End Question

Honda 250r 001
10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
im trying to find out how much wheel travel im getting from my highly modified stock rear shock.

What is stock SHAFT travel of a 250r rear shock? I think its either 4.00 or 4.25 inches correct?

So if we divide 9.1 (stock wheel travel) by 4.00 (stock shaft travel) we get 2.275. That should be the shaft travel to wheel travel ratio correct? 2.275 wheel travel for 1 inch of shaft travel?

So my rear shock has a SHAFT travel of 4.62 inches, So if i multiply this by the ratio i get my wheel travel correct? 4.62x2.275= 10.5 inches of wheel travel

Does this sound correct to you guys? Does any one have any comparable wheel travel numbers coming from a stock link rear set up?

Honda 250r 001
10-05-2009, 08:25 AM
bumpity bump bump bump.

troybilt
10-05-2009, 11:08 AM
I don't think this is right, unless this is a no link setup. The linkage on the stock rear is progressive, meaning its non-linear and the slope (ratio) is not constant. I maybe way off here, but this is an engineers prespective of a progressive linkage.

A simple way to check would be to measure the travel at several different shaft lengths of the shock and generate a curve in excel then extrapolate and see where 4.62 lies on that curve.

Honda 250r 001
10-05-2009, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
I don't think this is right, unless this is a no link setup. The linkage on the stock rear is progressive, meaning its non-linear and the slope (ratio) is not constant. I maybe way off here, but this is an engineers prespective of a progressive linkage.

A simple way to check would be to measure the travel at several different shaft lengths of the shock and generate a curve in excel then extrapolate and see where 4.62 lies on that curve.

oh hell i see. But I have to gain some wheel travel if i increased shaft travel by over half an inch right?

Honda 250r 001
10-05-2009, 01:15 PM
oh hell i see. But I have to gain some wheel travel if i increased shaft travel by over half an inch right? anyone got any measurements?

troybilt
10-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
oh hell i see. But I have to gain some wheel travel if i increased shaft travel by over half an inch right? anyone got any measurements?

Yes, probably more than you think. Would be like putting a long travel shock in a stock travel linkage setup.

Honda 250r 001
10-05-2009, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Yes, probably more than you think. Would be like putting a long travel shock in a stock travel linkage setup.

well, i have to disagree with that, it has almost 1/2 inch cut off the shaft body and its been milled out in the top of the body so the shock can compress more, plus i have removed the top out spring and used spacers to let the shock extend more. Now the shock fully extended is 16 5/8 inches.

I have my dura blue linkage set at stock length and it looks good. not much higher than stock and it goes much lower than stock.

Honda 250r 001
11-03-2009, 11:01 AM
anyone else got any rear end travel numbers?

dustin_j
11-03-2009, 11:28 AM
What are you looking for? Do you want to know your wheel travel if you use this shock on a stock linkage? Or are you trying to determine how to setup the rear of your quad for this shock? I don't have any numbers, just some things to think about...

To determine wheel travel, remove your shocks and lift your frame until the distance from linkage to shock mount is equal to your shock's extended length. Measure from the ground to the bottom of your frame (L1). Then, take your extended length minus your shaft travel to determine compressed length. Lower your frame until the distance is equal to the compressed length. Measure from the ground to the bottom of the frame (L2). L1 - L2 = wheel travel. Frame travel = wheel travel, unless your frame bottoms out first. You could also put the quad on a stand and lift the swingarm to get wheel travel.

Hopefully your numbers line up so that your shock still bottoms out before your frame. Sounds interesting, please post what you find.

Dustin

Honda 250r 001
11-03-2009, 11:59 AM
actually i was wanitng stock rear suspension numbers from other people. I was wondering what they were getting with the stock linkage. Im pretty sure im getting between 10 and 11 inches.