PDA

View Full Version : LT80, starter or relay?

kkesler
10-04-2009, 03:35 PM
Battery is good, and will crank another machine.

Push start and get a buzz from under the seat, it's the relay buzzing. Put a meter on the starter output wire and nada. Disconnect the wire going to the starter and the relay clicks as normal and 12v goes to the starter wire. Bypass the relay and still nothing, so I'm thinking starter. Agree or disagree?

LT80
10-05-2009, 07:03 AM
I'm wondering if the motor has lost the ground to the frame.

kkesler
10-05-2009, 07:31 AM
Originally posted by LT80
I'm wondering if the motor has lost the ground to the frame.

That's easy enough to check.

kkesler
10-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Ok, starter worked with a trolling motor battery and jumper cables hooked up to the wire, so I tried it with the jumper cables hooked to the battery. Works. Will go "clunk", then you have to release and push again, then it works. Installed battery is only a couple of months old, and shows green on the battery tender.

kkesler
10-05-2009, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by kkesler
Ok, starter worked with a trolling motor battery and jumper cables hooked up to the wire, so I tried it with the jumper cables hooked to the battery. Works. Will go "clunk", then you have to release and push again, then it works. Installed battery is only a couple of months old, and shows green on the battery tender.

Battery must be bad, stuck in another ATV that it cranked fine just the other day and nada.