PDA

View Full Version : What Oil????

TRXRIDER4567
10-04-2009, 11:17 AM
I just got a 2005 kfx 400 with minimal hours.. i just wanted to change the oil out and all other fluids and i have a few questions.. i no how to change it but what oil is suffiecent (maxima 10-40???) and does the kfx400 share the motor oil with the transmission or is there a separate resivoir empty and then refill? thank you for your time!

Bill Martin
10-04-2009, 04:25 PM
If you have a service manual use that. If not try to get one.
i.e ebay or dealer.
If there is a sprat oil for the motor you can use two different oil's in them.
If it's only one then just use any oil that is not synthetic. This can make your clutch slip.
You don't need the expensive oil unless you have so much money and you want to do that.
I use Valvoline 10w-40 all year long.

The key is no more then ten hours on an oil change.
A lot of people think by using high dollar oil they can go a longer time between oil changes.(WRONG)

Atv's only have two quarts of oil and no mater how good the oil is it will break down quickly.

I change mine every 5-6 hours and only change the oil filter every other oil change.

Don't forget the air filter (after every ride).

Take care and have fun!!!

TRXRIDER4567
10-04-2009, 06:36 PM
thank you sir! now when you say service manuel do u mean like a clymers? or the one that comes with the quad?

BakerRacing40
10-05-2009, 03:19 AM
i use bel ray thumper oil in all my 4 strokes and have been happy with it.. everybody is different but i see it as my engine is expensive and i want the best for it. the thumper oil around averages about 11 bucks a qt. .... to me its the same thing as, some people ride with a 50 dollar helmet and i do not, the motto to that is "a five dollar helmet for a five dollar head" , i apply this theory to a lot of different things. for an air filter i would check out "no toil" their foam filters are awesome and budget friendly and the oil and cleaning stuff for them is amazing... check out their vid on you tube...

audioworks04
10-14-2009, 02:29 PM
I run Rotella T 15w-40 in all my four strokes. Even my crf450 framed/powered trike. Its way cheaper than any other performance oils out there. I use it in both sides with a stainless filter and change it every 3 hours of ride time.
It was recommended to my by alot of dirt bike guys, and makes since that if they can run it in diesels that have huge amounts of torque that it would work great in this application.

f4iracer
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by Bill Martin
If you have a service manual use that. If not try to get one.
i.e ebay or dealer.
If there is a sprat oil for the motor you can use two different oil's in them.
If it's only one then just use any oil that is not synthetic. This can make your clutch slip.
You don't need the expensive oil unless you have so much money and you want to do that.
I use Valvoline 10w-40 all year long.

The key is no more then ten hours on an oil change.
A lot of people think by using high dollar oil they can go a longer time between oil changes.(WRONG)

Atv's only have two quarts of oil and no mater how good the oil is it will break down quickly.

I change mine every 5-6 hours and only change the oil filter every other oil change.

Don't forget the air filter (after every ride).

Take care and have fun!!!

10 hours seems way too often. I ride 10 hours in a weekend, i change my oil probably once a month. The oil never looks black or anything when i change either.

Z15
10-18-2009, 08:18 AM
If it's only one then just use any oil that is not synthetic.

This is a misinterpretation of the facts. Its automotive type oil that you should not use, oils that have a API Spec SM and the phrase on the bottle "Energy Conserving".

There are synthetics that are formulated for wet clutch. As long as the oil carries the JASO MA/MA2 spec on the label its ok to use.

I have been using nothing but synthetic oil in my Honda's for 10 yrs and I know many others ATV owners who have been using synthetic oil in various makes as well. Polaris ATV and UTV models are factory filled with synthetic oil.

440exnacsracer
10-20-2009, 06:43 PM
synthetic oils typically do not have an effect on clutches slipping, but most molybedenum based oils will

brianengy
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Read this. Then drink what ever coolaid taste best.

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html