PDA

View Full Version : 05 main bearings?

smw450r
10-04-2009, 11:00 AM
I was duning yesturday and my bike died a few times and after i let it set for a few minutes it started right up but only to die again so after a few times i got it draged up to the truck and checked the oil filter for shavings and there was some in it,just changed all fluids and filter before the ride, i rebuilt this bike 4 months ago with a hotrods crank a new cylinder and a baldswins 12.5/1 piston and a crf 05 cam, but i never put new main bearings in it just getting some opinion's before i start i was gonna powercoat the frame and everything so i guess it couldnt have happened at a better time any ideals would be thankfull thks

eastside 400
10-04-2009, 12:14 PM
usually when the crank bearings go its completely siezed and will not fire again. it does sound like it could be that though. i would ALWAYS replace crank bearings when the engine is apart, they are cheap enough that its not worth the aggrevation of dealing with it afterwards. the only real way of finding out what went wrong is to tear it down. It could of also been the rod bearing/thrust washers also, is the metal steel or alum. in the filter?

Ruf Racing
10-04-2009, 12:23 PM
That does suck. Not that this may matter, was the HR crank balanced? Sounds like a definite tear down. Let us know what
you find. Quite a few guys are running that crank. :ermm:

smw450r
10-04-2009, 02:56 PM
yea i wish i would have went ahead and changed them out when it was tore down to late now i guess you live and learn right, but im not for sure if it was metal or alum it was hard to tell it but it looked more like metal but i didnt have a magnet handy, but as far as the hr crank goes i just bought it and put it in, im hoping it's not anything with the crank or im gonna be giving them guys a call i got about 7-9 tanks of gas run through it since the build it will be later this week maybe even this coming weekend before i can get started on the project i'll check in the next few days and see if its alum or metal in my filter i would do it now but my shop is a ways down the road

wckedclownz69
10-05-2009, 04:12 AM
before anything man check your valves.. like tht guy said if ur crank went it fully locks up....expecially if ur riding in the dunes... and sand dirt can make them too tight... after awhile

smw450r
10-05-2009, 08:04 PM
i actually was thinking it was my valves to begin with but with as much metal as was in my oil filter i don't think so but i'll check that just to make sure before i pull it out of the frame

smw450r
10-12-2009, 10:48 AM
well got everything ordered just gotta wait on all the parts to get in will post a few pics when i'm done i'm gonna get my frame powercoated

smw450r
10-16-2009, 07:49 PM
hey guys just got the engine split apart it actually was my crank bearing's i dont understand why they would go so quick i only got about 9 tanks ran through it but i need some opinions on what i should do i know the hot rods cranks are rebuildable but any ideal on the price on getting new bearings put in and would i have to send the crank off to get them installed?

smw450r
10-20-2009, 05:10 PM
well wiseco is coming out with the new cranks for the 04-05 models next month on the 20th, but there selling them really cheap i guess becuse of the orginal bad design but here's the site http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=cProducts.list&ipageno=5