PDA

View Full Version : Burning oil don't know why

sean.miller10
10-04-2009, 10:17 AM
My brother and I both have the same four wheeler Honda 400ex which by the way are awesome quads very durable and reliable great for trail riding anyway i have an 01 and my bro has a 2000 and we are both burning through oil pretty bad i was just usin regular 10w-40 and switched to synthetic to see if that might help the oil burining problem but it doesn't seem to help we ride them for about a week and then it needs more oil i have talked to a lot of people and they all say that it has to be going in one of three places either out the exhaust which causes smoking through the valves or into the airbox but i can't see any of that on mine my brother found his and we are tearin it apart but my oil is literally disappearing on me and damnt it oil isn't cheap especially synthetic and by the way anyone who lives near turkey run state park in indiana you need to go check out waveland it's pretty bad *** BUT REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR ORANGE FLAGS OR YOU WILL BE PAYIN 15 BUCKS FOR ONE

tri5ron
10-04-2009, 10:45 AM
if it's not leaking out the bottom, or going into the airbox,....
Then you are burning it.
could be rings, could be valve seals, could be both.

using a synthetic oil is not recommended, due to it can cause slipping in the clutch plates.

Lots of threads on both of these subjects are easy to find using the search function.

welcome to the forum, there is alot that you can learn here.

Bill Martin
10-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Sounds like time for a rebuild.
You can pay $2.89 for Valvoline and change it every ten hours or pay$5.50 or more for the expensive stuff. And you still have to change it every ten hours.
It's no wonder you think it's expensive.

If you think oil is expensive just wait till you get the bill for the rebuild!!

sean.miller10
10-04-2009, 01:11 PM
I wouldn't think it would be the rings the piston is pretty new i have been wondering if it might be the rings or not but people have been telling me that i would be wasting my time not to smart down here in good ol indiana i guess lol thanks man i'll check it out tonight and see whats goin on

VTredneckgames
10-05-2009, 05:35 AM
does it smoke out the exhaust?

if it does, when does it smoke? WOT? or just idling?

bigbad400
10-05-2009, 07:19 AM
either or, thats a big problem, go big bore and +1mm kibblewhites, then you will have all new valve seats and all new rings and piston and alot more power if you get 11:1 or 12.5:1 compression pistons.

if you live in indiana do you ever ride the silver lake dunes here in michigan?

god its so fun, but there again bring your flag and you gatta buy a mi state trail sticker too. 16.75 for the dnr sticker.

i spend around 200 to have a good (we drink alot too)weekend on the dunes so its not too bad if you got the sticker and the flags already. plus the truck that pulls all the quads gets like 8 miles to a gal. so thats a big chunk just getting there.