PDA

View Full Version : 300ex problems

fox83
10-04-2009, 08:23 AM
im new to the how working on quads..
i traded my rm250 for a 300ex and it had an oil leak on the left case and a ticking side.. im goin to fix the leak and i was wondering what could cause the ticking.. it has a 30 over big bore kit and i dont know if the stock valve spec would work or maybe the timing chain tension might bad.. im goin to fix it and have some fun...

sparkyjoe81
10-05-2009, 05:49 AM
A ticking sound coming from the top end is normally an incorrect valve adjustment. Where is the oil leaking from?

fox83
10-05-2009, 03:07 PM
the left case on the bottom of the motor.. it looks like the hit something or over tightened the bottom two motor mounts.. i bought some alumaloy rods to fix the leak.. if you have a .30 over big bore kit on it would that change the valve specs or would i go from stock specs ??

rooster300ex
10-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by fox83
the left case on the bottom of the motor.. it looks like the hit something or over tightened the bottom two motor mounts.. i bought some alumaloy rods to fix the leak.. if you have a .30 over big bore kit on it would that change the valve specs or would i go from stock specs ??

Them cases are very very very hard to fix with alum. rods. U might end up blowin a hole through the case cuz its not very thick at all. Jb's weld or silicone is your best bet. U might make it worse by tryin to weld it. but if u do get it welded tell me everthing u did to fix it.

fox83
10-05-2009, 03:21 PM
they are alumaloy rods and a propane torch.. i'll let you know on how it turns out becuz i dont have to money to buy a new bottom end and they had four layers of jb weld and it didnt stop it... well c

sparkyjoe81
10-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Ya crankcase leaks there are common. Most of the time the chain is to loose, it pops off, gets sucked in by the front sprocket and cracks the case. As for the valve adjustment, it should still be stock 0.10mm (.004in)

fox83
10-05-2009, 05:10 PM
thats cool thanks.. im probly goin ask alot of stupid questions becuz quads where not me and i rode bikes... i traded mine for this one and it will be a nice play toy..

have you ever seen a quad with three sprockets? the 3rd one acts like a tensioner so when u jump and your chain relaxes all the way it dont pop off... are they any good or should i do away with it becuz im not jumping im trail riding... if its something to keep where do i buy sprockets for it??