PDA

View Full Version : Storing a 2T quad / motorcycle during winter

Punkmaster Flex
10-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Hi,

I'm about to store my motocross since it's cold and I dont use it anyways. I know the basics of storage but I'm a bit confused about the engine.

How do you store your 250R during winter?

IcutMetl
10-03-2009, 11:06 PM
I've never really had an issue with any of my bikes or wheelers since they've always been in a garage w/o a freezing problem, and if I'm not riding it, I'll at least start it from time to time and let it idle till warm.

Here's what I would do-I have to winterize my boat every season, and it's a 2-cycle: give it a good cleaning, dry well, wd-40 and/or lube all joints, cables, etc. Check your coolant level, and make sure it has plenty of freeze protection. Go to an auto-parts store, marine store, or Wal-Mart, and get yourself a can of engine fogging spray. On my boat, I start it up and let it idle till it reaches temperature. I shoot the spray into the carbs until the engine stalls. (By this time, the neighborhood thinks my house is on fire because of all the smoke.) Then, I remove the spark plugs, and fog a bit into each cylinder. Cycle engine a few times. Replace spark plugs. Add fuel stabilizer to tank. Done. When spring comes around, I pull it out of storage, change the spark plugs, put the battery back in, hook the water up, and let it rip- usually starts right up and smokes for a bit, but never a problem.

Granted; boat vs. 4-wheeler, but pretty close to the same concept!

250rPRIDE
10-04-2009, 07:30 AM
i clean mine up perfect, put wood or cardboard under the tires dont let them sit on concrete, add fuel stable, spray all crome with wd-40, and let it sit, put it out in spring and let er rip