PDA

View Full Version : cam chain noise

krusher
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
Hello, Ive been trying to figure out whats the problem with my 07 trx450er.

I've replaced the cam chain sprocket and the chain tensioner ( the black piece, not the plunger ). I didnt replace the guide.

The chain is still pretty loose, it starts and runs, but the chain makes an awful noise, and I'm scared to run it.

I've been looking at parts diagrams, and got the service manual, and the actual tensioner housing is different than mine. Mine might come off of the motor an inch, and the one in the pictures in the manual looks like its probably 2 or maybe 3 inches long.

Do you thing if I get the other tensioner it will push more to get it tight? I dont know. I have the chain guide, but the tensioner piece wasnt worn, so I thought that it was probably fine too, but maybe not.

I just want to get it right, and I'm frustrated.

here's the link to the diagram I'm talking about

http://www.piedmont-motorsports.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=523324&category=ATVs&make=Honda&year=2007&fveh=12052

If anyones got any advice, I'd love to hear it.

d3ktrix
10-03-2009, 07:01 PM
The diagram shows 2 tensioners, the 05 is the longer one shown to the left , and the 06+ is shown to the right.

So yeah, ur 07 tensioner is supposed to be shorter.

Your chain is just stretched, if u have replaced that yet, I'd say that is ur problem.
I've seen a few 06+ bikes that stretched the cam chain so bad it would flop around like there wasn't even a tensioner installed.

krusher
10-03-2009, 07:43 PM
yeah, I took this quad down to a local race shop, and the guy said he replaced the timing chain, but you just dont know..

He also offered me 2800.00 for the thing, and then called and said the crank and cam were crap, and that it would cost 1400 to replace them.

I told him to put it back together and I was coming to get it.

I've got one more guy I'm willing to take it to, just trying to fix it myself.