PDA

View Full Version : clutch/case oil

kookennay
10-03-2009, 01:36 PM
what kind of oil does everyone use in th transmission part of the case. what is best to run with the clutch.

IcutMetl
10-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I've noticed that a lot of people on here will say:

ATF Fluid
Honda HP (in the red bottle)
Bel Ray GearSaver
Klotz Flex Drive

Not really sure what's better or worse and why; I've always used the Honda stuff and changed regularly.

kookennay
10-03-2009, 10:09 PM
i have been told to just use regular 10w/40 motor oil but i about to put in a clutch and want to know what i should put back in

IcutMetl
10-03-2009, 10:50 PM
I'm sure most (probably not all) on here would agree NOT to use regular motor oil. Standard motor oil has friction modifiers that do not work well in a wet-clutch system. Using a multi-viscosity oil is not a big issue, just make sure it's safe for motorcycle transmission use. If you're putting in a clutch, make sure to soak the fiber plates in your oil overnight before putting everything back together.

I'm sure there's better, higher tech stuff out there...but the Honda HP transmission lube seems to work well for a lot of people on here, and it's pretty cheap...if your dealer doesn't have it, Rocky Mountain does, and it takes less than one container. If you're cheap and in a hurry, just use ATF; if I'm not mistaken, that's actually what the Honda factory service manual recommends.

kookennay
10-05-2009, 03:03 PM
i went ahead and ordered the honda red bottle trans fluid. do i need to soak the clutches before i put them in

86 Quad R
10-05-2009, 03:47 PM
if they are new clutch fibers then yes you do. preferibly over night.:cool:

kookennay
10-05-2009, 08:59 PM
yeah they are new i ordered them along wit the honda fluid. so let them soak overnight? anything else i should know when doing this?

86 Quad R
10-06-2009, 06:37 AM
you going back with new steels or using the old? if using the old how do they look?

kookennay
10-06-2009, 01:28 PM
i got all new steels and fibers and springs.

atvmxr
10-08-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by IcutMetl
I'm sure most (probably not all) on here would agree NOT to use regular motor oil. Standard motor oil has friction modifiers that do not work well in a wet-clutch system. Using a multi-viscosity oil is not a big issue, just make sure it's safe for motorcycle transmission use. If you're putting in a clutch, make sure to soak the fiber plates in your oil overnight before putting everything back together.

I'm sure there's better, higher tech stuff out there...but the Honda HP transmission lube seems to work well for a lot of people on here, and it's pretty cheap...if your dealer doesn't have it, Rocky Mountain does, and it takes less than one container. If you're cheap and in a hurry, just use ATF; if I'm not mistaken, that's actually what the Honda factory service manual recommends.

most of your post is incorrect. use a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1 10w30. the honda manual also recommend motor oil, not gear oil and not ATF. what you do not what is any oil with "high mileage" application. those are the ones with stuff to swell the engine seals and will prematurely wear the seals in your bottom end. But I've only had my clutch last for 10 years or so, so what do i know.. :)

IcutMetl
10-08-2009, 02:32 PM
I have read the service manual, and yes it does say to use 10w40 "Four Stroke" motor oil. I made a mistake when I first made that post. This is not the same as standard motor oil- it does not have the friction modifying properties that automotive oil does, and will not affect a wet clutch system. And I would agree with you that "high mileage" motor oil would be even farther down the ladder.

kookennay
10-09-2009, 09:14 AM
i work at advance auto and we have the motor cycle 10w40 and it says it has superior wet clutch protection. the guy that is boring my cylinder said to use 10w40. so should i not use the honda red bottle stuff that i got?

kookennay
10-09-2009, 09:21 AM
now i am just confused

IcutMetl
10-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Nahh...you'll be fine. There are a lot of good oils out there now for 2-cycle transmissions- a lot more than when our wheelers were first put on the market I bet. Thick, thin, single and multi-viscosity. When you get the Honda red bottle, look at the back of it and read the text; it shoud put you at ease. Mentions something about how it is specifically designed for the transmissions of Honda CR's and TRX250R atv's.

I believe the main thing to remember is using an oil that is wet-clutch compatible.

Think about it this way; an oil for a 4-stroke atv in most cases has to be wet-clutch compatible, making it ok to use in our transmissions as well. That same oil has to lubricate everything else in the motor and not just the transmission, unlike a 2 cycle where the oil is captivated in the lower unit and should never see the crank, rod, or piston. But...when you buy an oil that's really tailored to a 2 cycle, I'm sure it gives the oil manufacturers a lot more room to move as far as what viscosity, additives, blah blah blah

kookennay
10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
OK UPS JUST SHOWED UP SO I ABOUT TO LOOK AT IT NOW BUT THANKS FOR THE HELP IT REALLY IS USEFUL INFO. THANKS ALOT GUYS!

88TRX250R
10-29-2009, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by IcutMetl

I believe the main thing to remember is using an oil that is wet-clutch compatible.

That's what I've been told as well. I've been using the AMSOIL 10W-40 High Performance Motorcycle Oil (MCF). This is from the back of the bottle:

"AMSOIL offers superior wear protection to transmission gears, which are often subject to high surface pressure and rotation speed. It also promotes proper wet clutch performance."

It's worked great with no problems.
I also use the Amsoil Dominator Synthetic 2-Cycle Racing Oil (TDR) in my 110 octane gas mixture.

pic of my quad:
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh151/Crx_B16/H250r1.jpg

Rich250RRacer
10-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
most of your post is incorrect. use a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1 10w30. the honda manual also recommend motor oil, not gear oil and not ATF. what you do not what is any oil with "high mileage" application. those are the ones with stuff to swell the engine seals and will prematurely wear the seals in your bottom end. But I've only had my clutch last for 10 years or so, so what do i know.. :)

ANY oil that has "energy conserving" in the round API rating stamp on the bottle has anti-friction additives and should NEVER be used in a wet clutch system. And this is on nearly all 5w20, 5w30, 10w30, and synthetic automotive engine oils. I have yet to see a 10w40 or 20w50 stamped "energy conserving". Just be sure to look at API stamp on the bottle.

kookennay
10-30-2009, 10:35 AM
I USED THE HONDA RED BOTTLE AND ON THE BACK IT SAYS FOR CR CRF AND TRX MODELS.