PDA

View Full Version : 250x... what mods are good???

FourFiftyFour
01-13-2003, 07:56 PM
I just bought an 87 250x, Im actually impressed with it and since im a 17 yr old chick who's only 98 lbs.... i still go pretty fast on it cuz if the light weight. This quad is pretty much all stock..... even has the original tires with 50% tread left on them...... its a very clean quad... Im wanting to do the local mx circuit here (someday id like to go national.. but that will have to be for my next quad) Im on a pretty tight budget..... so if anyone has some suggestions for the best mods, any good deals, or any helpful info, I will be more than glad to recieve it!!!!

AtvMxRider
01-13-2003, 08:11 PM
Welcome to EXRiders. The best mod you can do is buy some aftermarket shocks. You can find used Works shocks pretty cheap on ebay all the time.

honda250xrider
01-13-2003, 08:13 PM
a good way to gain good bottom end is to port and polish or a new cam. There are many ways to make your fourwheeler have more power just how much money do you want to spend. You could get a pipe and air filter reject take your airbox lid off. or you could get a high compression piston for a little more low end power and rear gear it for you type of riding.

Atreyu
01-13-2003, 08:14 PM
Hey welcome...I'd go with 400ex front suspension or some works. Im selling a pair of works for 250x/300ex for $200. Then get a pipe and some tires. After that your pretty much set.

2fastandfurious
01-13-2003, 08:18 PM
Hey there! I'm 17 and own a 250x as well. I have many parts and knowledge on them. Too bad you live far from me! You should come up to ID with your 250x in July with Quadjunkies. You'll meet her soon. Anyway you can catch me on AIM at millbrookguy17 or BGW@Witek.net is my email. Hope to chat with ya soon!
-Ben

AtvMxRider
01-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Hey 2fast does all your posts revolve aroung Tina?:rolleyes:

BlazingYamahaYz
01-13-2003, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Hey 2fast does all your posts revolve aroung Tina?:rolleyes:

thats a rhetorical question:devil wait did i just answer that:confused: :D

redrider ex
01-13-2003, 08:58 PM
since your on a budget put a 14 tooth sprocket on front and rejet and add a pipe and remove the air box lid if your not riding in alot of water.

jay's 300
01-13-2003, 09:09 PM
Pipe, Filter, Jetting, 14T c/s, then the shock therapy and tires! :D (last 2 soon to be done)

By the way, welcome to the site! :blah

2fastandfurious
01-13-2003, 09:27 PM
Well, not ALL my posts. But ya. Its just my thing. And besides she hot! :blah LMAO! Wait.......Wernt you the one who claimed i was a "stocker" :eek: :D

thunderingpig
01-13-2003, 09:28 PM
I would say, a good bit of port and polishing & a cam. Some people just drill holes in the top of their air box, (about 1in. ea.)
they make plugs for them in case you wanna play in mud, or buy a used top.Tires Tires Tires!!!!!!

250xman
01-13-2003, 09:37 PM
welcome to the site. for starting off i would go with suspension first then motor mods. just buy what you can when you can. in a year you'd be suprised at how much stuff you'll get. when i got my 87 X it was all stock too ive had it about a year and a half. i paid 1500 for it and as of yesterday i hit the 4500 dollar mark in mods and thats not counting what i paid for it. im from plano but im not sure where Alvin is.

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 09:37 PM
Originally posted by 250xChick
I just bought an 87 250x, Im actually impressed with it and since im a 17 yr old chick who's only 98 lbs.... i still go pretty fast on it cuz if the light weight. This quad is pretty much all stock..... even has the original tires with 50% tread left on them...... its a very clean quad... Im wanting to do the local mx circuit here (someday id like to go national.. but that will have to be for my next quad) Im on a pretty tight budget..... so if anyone has some suggestions for the best mods, any good deals, or any helpful info, I will be more than glad to recieve it!!!! First of all. Welcome to the site.. good to see a new girl here(not too many these days)..THis is all good info... I think you would see how mcu ha pipe alone will help a great deal.. Just make sure you do alot of reasearch for the right one for your ride.;) shocks a plus.. I would Def jump on that deal on the works shocks if you can afford.(Good for a starter shocks)..poke some holes in that airbox and let her breathe a lil..when ya get the pipe.. like they said...lots of lil things you can do to wake it up, just depends on what kind of money you have to spend...:) Tina......

FourFiftyFour
01-13-2003, 10:26 PM
thanks everyone.. i was thinking about puttin in a new axle and swingarms, etc... to try to make it wider... its a bit on the tall side rather than the wide side.. right now I have to pay $600 to my parents (they let me borrow it from them) then i can get my mods.... hopefully I will be gettin gear for presents in the next couple months hehe. so right now i cant buy any mods... but i will be able to probably this late spring and summer.... im graduating this may so i should hopefully be gettin a bunch of cash.. hehe
I'm on AIM quite a bit... if anyone wants to talk or give me info... my s/n is MotoXQuadChick

P.S. 250x- Alvin is about 30 min south of Houston

quadfamily
01-13-2003, 10:41 PM
Being that you're on the light side at 98 lbs, you could probably re-gear right away without any engine mods and pick up a decent amount of speed that way. You'll definatley need to go with the 14T front sprocket and probably a couple teeth smaller in the back. Then if You get 20" or smaller rear tires you should probably go even smaller on the rear sprocket. Some people will probably disagree with what I just said but remember she's only 98 lbs and that makes a huge difference.
So if you're really tight on money you should do the gearing first along with tires. Then next get a K&N filter and drill the holes in the airbox lid and re-jet. That will wake up the little motor. Then save up for a good pipe.
As far as suspension goes, again because you're a light rider, you could probably save money and get rear wheel spacers instead of an expensive axle.
Man, I wish I was 98 lbs sometimes!

QuadJunkies
01-13-2003, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by quadfamily
Being that you're on the light side at 98 lbs, you could probably re-gear right away without any engine mods and pick up a decent amount of speed that way. You'll definatley need to go with the 14T front sprocket and probably a couple teeth smaller in the back. Then if You get 20" or smaller rear tires you should probably go even smaller on the rear sprocket. Some people will probably disagree with what I just said but remember she's only 98 lbs and that makes a huge difference.
So if you're really tight on money you should do the gearing first along with tires. Then next get a K&N filter and drill the holes in the airbox lid and re-jet. That will wake up the little motor. Then save up for a good pipe.
As far as suspension goes, again because you're a light rider, you could probably save money and get rear wheel spacers instead of an expensive axle.
Man, I wish I was 98 lbs sometimes! yup.. good advice here...;) QuadFamily~~ I know what ya mean:D

400exrider400ex
02-02-2003, 10:39 AM
BoySetsFire

do u still have those shocks for the 250x...where in north jersey are u from i am from hamburg