PDA

View Full Version : Wanting to buy a 250R!

K-Dub
10-03-2009, 03:05 AM
Im looking to buy a 88/89 250R, I have looked and called about alot of Rs in the last week. Ive kinda limited down to 2. What Im looking to do with a R is build a 50" mx quad to play with locally and a 4 stroke killer. This will not be my first 250R, had an 88 back in the early 90s. Have an 04 450R and 800 Renegade now. Kinda want to have both of Honda's Thoroughbreds. Also because I had one when I was younger, and nobody has one around me. They all have 450s and talk crap on the 2 strokes.

1st one is a complete original 88 250R and it looks a little ruff but it runs. The price is a steal. If I dont buy it to ride and fix up Im thinking about buying it to fix up and resell.

2nd one is a 98 LSR 250R. Already 50" wide with long travel suspension, LSR frame and crate engine. bike built completely new in 98.

There is $5000 difference in price but the LSR 250R is already the way I want it with a LSR frame and everything is 10 years newer. If I build the 88 R I have about $6000 in building it the way I want it, plus it will have a stock frame. The LSR 250R is priced lower than what Ill have in the 88 plus the 6g's. The only plus I see in buying the 88 is when Im done with it I have the pride in saying I built it.

So which way do you guys think I should go.

thedeatons
10-03-2009, 07:12 AM
Buy the one that is most like what you want, but prepare to replace all the bearings and seals and wear items...

Prepare to go through the engine when you get it, just so you know what is in there, this way nothing creeps up on you. Just a good practice and easy enough with a 2 stroke.

James

norcalduner
10-03-2009, 12:00 PM
I would buy BOTH ..... one to ride and one to work on. Either way there will always be some kind of work that needs to be done on both of them. But that just me :D

250rPRIDE
10-03-2009, 12:59 PM
well a 98 built lsr bike better be about perfect for 6000+ dollars, r's are way down in value and you can get a deal if you look around, get the 88 no matter what thats a deal.

K-Dub
10-03-2009, 05:12 PM
I tried calling about the 98LSR R today but didnt get an answer.

Emailed the guy about the 88 R and he email me back, I post it for you guys to read when I get home in the morning from work. But it sounds kind of fishy to me. The ad says its here in ohio but when he emailed me back he said him and the R is in new jersey where he is stationed on an army base. Says he is in the air frce and can not make personal phone calls or recieve them. He says he call me from off base when he goes to ship it to me. Wants the money to go through ebay and square deal, anybody ever hear of square deal? Said he would give me 5 days to see if I like it and if I dont I can ship it back to him and get my money back from square deal. Sounds funny how he can hav the R with him but not make a phone call.

250rPRIDE
10-03-2009, 05:21 PM
i dont know of a "army base" in jersey??? and you can call from a base just about anytime you want they have phones on them and you are allowed to use cell phones.. dont give this guy a dime. its a scam for sure.

b.lee
10-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by K-Dub
Im looking to buy a 88/89 250R, I have looked and called about alot of Rs in the last week. Ive kinda limited down to 2. What Im looking to do with a R is build a 50" mx quad to play with locally and a 4 stroke killer. This will not be my first 250R, had an 88 back in the early 90s. Have an 04 450R and 800 Renegade now. Kinda want to have both of Honda's Thoroughbreds. Also because I had one when I was younger, and nobody has one around me. They all have 450s and talk crap on the 2 strokes.

1st one is a complete original 88 250R and it looks a little ruff but it runs. The price is a steal. If I dont buy it to ride and fix up Im thinking about buying it to fix up and resell.

2nd one is a 98 LSR 250R. Already 50" wide with long travel suspension, LSR frame and crate engine. bike built completely new in 98.

There is $5000 difference in price but the LSR 250R is already the way I want it with a LSR frame and everything is 10 years newer. If I build the 88 R I have about $6000 in building it the way I want it, plus it will have a stock frame. The LSR 250R is priced lower than what Ill have in the 88 plus the 6g's. The only plus I see in buying the 88 is when Im done with it I have the pride in saying I built it.

So which way do you guys think I should go.

$5000 difference?

I got a long travel front, cr500 link rear, 86 port/polish engine in 98 laeger mx frame with narrow front end, big carb, lrd pipe, pep shocks with adjustable rezzies front and rear, ect. $4400 obo (no low ballers)

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=412678

Runs strong, low hours on engine, fast, good clutch.