PDA

View Full Version : is the fcr39 carb worth the $

bigsho400
01-13-2003, 07:24 PM
i see people talk about the fcr39 carb alot is it a good mod? is it worth the money and most of all is there a noticeable power increase? my mods are listed below is it worth it for me if not what is for a big power gain dont wanna do piston or anything major

wyndzer
01-13-2003, 07:27 PM
YES nothing more to say.

HOT-ROD
01-13-2003, 07:31 PM
I'M VERY HAPPY WITH MINE .

hondaracer31
01-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Ultimate carb! Huge power gain! Way better than the Edelbrock.

HOT-ROD
01-13-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by hondaracer31
Ultimate carb! Huge power gain! Way better than the Edelbrock. i'll have to agree !!!!!! 39FCR all the way

bigsho400
01-13-2003, 07:40 PM
whats the average price for them

HOT-ROD
01-13-2003, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by bigsho400
whats the average price for them i gave about $445 from www.ftz.com

Glamis400ex
01-13-2003, 08:13 PM
CD Racing has them for $415, last I was told.

Glamis

eldoexrider01
01-13-2003, 08:16 PM
what kinda gains does it give, bottom end, mid range, top end? better response, does it drain when u go up steep hills?does it use more gas since its a bigger size? jus some questions

lilpoppy
01-14-2003, 12:05 AM
I just put myne on so i cant answer any of those questions yet but i got myne from Sparks racing for 450$ and it came with the throttle cable and it was pre jetted. Best deal I could find. www.sparksracing.com

oregonrider89
01-14-2003, 11:51 AM
The FCR is a great carb, it works well with big bores as well as stock.

"what kinda gains does it give, bottom end, mid range, top end? better response, does it drain when u go up steep hills?does it use more gas since its a bigger size? jus some questions"

It has a accelerator pump for the steep hills and increased response. It may use more fuel, but it worth it.

oregonrider89

01-14-2003, 12:25 PM
Ultimate carb! Huge power gain! Way better than the Edelbrock.
Can you detail why its way better? Not flaming but I have heard this b4 and still dont understand why.

I have been toying around with the idea of a bigger or better carb but cant seem to get that much "real" info.

Can anyone offer some info on what level the gains were with the FCR?

YES nothing more to say Hey buddy lets keep those posts short now ok :rolleyes: I guess your that impressed, but would you mind to let us in on the why part? :)

y2k400ex
01-14-2003, 03:00 PM
Do you lose any bottom end with bigger carb?

phatswinn
01-14-2003, 03:11 PM
and do they fit on a 300ex? or have them for the 300ex?

sparks400ex101
01-14-2003, 03:41 PM
yes let us know the detail i want one for my 400ex, i was just wondering how much power i would be getting for about 450 bucks, i also plan on a cam and pistons

Evan
01-14-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by 440EX4me
Can you detail why its way better? Not flaming but I have heard this b4 and still dont understand why.

I have been toying around with the idea of a bigger or better carb but cant seem to get that much "real" info.

Can anyone offer some info on what level the gains were with the FCR?

Hey buddy lets keep those posts short now ok :rolleyes: I guess your that impressed, but would you mind to let us in on the why part? :)

FCR all the way. The other carbs you have to do a little jerry riggin, which to me, is not a bolt on modification, I cant stand to have something halfway fit right. Im not sure on the edlebrock, but with a lectron, you must buy some sort of adapter to make it fit from airbox to intake, since its too short. Then you must grind your throttle housing out to make full use of the throw of the carb. When you do that, it makes a hole in your housing, and water can get in and rust the cable, leading to a stuck throttle, it happend to my frieind and nearly killed him. Besides that, you gotta clean the slide after every race, risk having the the seat hit that adapter and knocking your carb loose. I cant really describe the gains with the FCR when my 400 was stock, but all I can say is that it was crisp instant response, I dont know the power gain, but I sure felt it, more than I did with a pipe. Hope this helps, ask some more questions so I can better describe it......

sparks400ex101
01-14-2003, 04:03 PM
yeah im think about gettin one but i just wanted to know about the power that ill be gettin?

DantheEXman
01-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Eldebrock!!!! (sp?) NO JETS!!!! just a dial.

hondaracer31
01-14-2003, 05:20 PM
I had an Edelbrock and hated it! It has too much linkage and shafts that pass thru the body. Every hole in the body is a place for dirt to enter, then the slide sticks. I had to clean it after EVERY moto:grr Not to mention the dirt in the motor! Also with just a needle, (no jets, only one fuel circuit) I could not tune it for my motor! Believe it or not just because a motor needs more fuel at wide open that doesn't mean it needs more fuel in the mid range. With the Edelbrock you don't have a choice!
The best example of power gain I can give is this:
At my track, on the same jump (a 60' double), with the Edelbrock in 4th gear pinned I could just case it.
With the 39mm FCR 4th gear pinned over jumped it by a GOOD 20' FEET.
The FCR has more power EVERYWHERE!
That's just my experiance with it...

01-14-2003, 05:44 PM
Looks like your helping me talk myself into putting another 415.00 into my quad, yes thats a good thing :)

Plus maybe this would help with my current jetting issues.

I keep hearing questions about bottom end. Do any of you run XC or know of torque/bottom end gains or losses. I cant think of why it wouldnt be better on the bottom but just curious.

What I have been told or thought was that the FCR offered increases from both the larger size offering more air flow but also I have heard of it just flowing better somehow. Any info on this?

Just curious what type of jetting you ended up with in the FCR v/s the stock carb. Did it allow or require you to jet up for more fuel?

lilpoppy
01-14-2003, 06:16 PM
You dont lose bottom end at all with the FCR. It increases everywhere bottom, mid and top. I gained a ton of bottom end with the carb, so much in fact I'm having a lot of trouble keeping my front end down and when I try to power out of a turn I sometimes loose control because im not used to having SOOOO much torque. I also have the sparks x-6 pipe and I highly recomend both if you can afford it.

bigsho400
01-14-2003, 06:43 PM
now u guys talked me into it. gotta spend another coupla hundred bucks on the quad. this is gettin bad. got into my quad cause i just sold my mustang to save money and to just have something to enjoy and leave alone. whod a thought a honda would be like another mustang. another money pit. what the **** i like the quad much more than racing cars:devil

trx400ex
01-14-2003, 06:57 PM
So CD sells FCRs for 415? is that with cable? DOes anyone know if quadshop sells them?

sandslinger101
01-14-2003, 09:00 PM
Thats my next mod, fcr and a lrd exhaut for my stock ex. all i have heard is great comments about the fcr carb.

Evan
01-14-2003, 11:47 PM
yep power is improved all over, no loss at all. very crisp throttle response even with a stock motor. The best place to buy them IMO is sparks racing, why? because, they come completely assembled, prejetted for your application, and with throttle cable. Tell me a place that does all that and charges less.