PDA

View Full Version : Question on Tires

Bill Martin
10-01-2009, 11:11 PM
Here is a question I have for everyone.
A lot of us do a lot of mods to the quads we ride to make them faster.
At what point is it necessary to put new sneekers on my quad. Is it at 80% wear 70%-60%.
My point is if we are willing to spend hundreds of dollars to get a few more horse power and then run worn tires. What’s the point?
When I put on a new set of tires it’s like gaining ten horse power over the old ones that came off. I found that it don’t take long on a hard packed track to grind the edges off a new set of tires.
Please chime in and let me know how many of you make the sacrifice to keep a good set of tires on your bike.
Do you save a set for racing and put the older ones on to practice or do you ride with the best all the time.

Thanks

Punkmaster Flex
10-02-2009, 02:32 AM
I always used Holeshot MX6R. Good all around tire and they are damn cheap. I usually buy 8 tires for a season. :)

Bill Martin
10-02-2009, 03:13 AM
Ok do you replace the front or just the back?

honda400ex2003
10-02-2009, 08:08 PM
i would recommend both if you have the money, otherwise back first. I like my razrs, but i dont race them. I would change tires once they are about 75-80 % gone just to keep some good tread there. i dont like the feeling of bald tires. lol. I cant help with the rest though sorry, steve

Bill Martin
10-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Ok lets add to the thread:
What kind of tire you use and what type of ridding you do?

Thanks

honda400ex2003
10-03-2009, 07:18 AM
razrs, any type of trail and a little bit of mx on small tracks. steve

katch26
10-03-2009, 07:20 AM
Originally posted by Punkmaster Flex
I always used Holeshot MX6R. Good all around tire and they are damn cheap. I usually buy 8 tires for a season. :)

are you running mx? cause that might be a good all around mx tire but not a good all round tire.

Bill Martin
10-03-2009, 07:34 AM
I use hole shot MX6R, MX and trail ridding.

katch26
10-03-2009, 07:52 AM
must not be very rough terrain if youre rockin 18" 2 plys. But back to the original question, I replace the rears when they start to slide out more than I like and always replace everything together. I cant really put a % on it but once the start slipping they get replaced, usually I get a hole in one first.

trail riding
itp gncc/ predator
tp trac star front razr-r rears/ 400ex

Bill Martin
10-03-2009, 09:02 AM
Here in east Texas there is not a lot of rocks on the trails but there is a lot of stumps and roots if you’re in the woods.
I have a MX6R with a 6'' piece of wood about 1-1/2'' in diameter in one and I had the green slime in it and it didn't go flat. I picked that up ridding on a MX track.

If you go west of here say around San Antonio and you don't put the slime in the tires then you spend all your time fixing flats from all the thorns on the weesatch and mesquite.

For Mx it's MX6R with no slime and I use two to three sets on the back and one set on the front per year.

I'd like to try the razor yellow label for Mx on hard pack. I've only seen them at the national races; I can't seem to find them any where else. I didn't have the cash at the time or I would have picked up a set. I still have the stock tires and rims but don’t use them much. I generally only run them when I need a little more ground clearance.

I try to run 7-8 LBS in the back and 10-12 LBS in the front for Mx depending on track conditions. For trails I run 5-6 in the back and 8-10 LBS in the front.

I spend about 80% on MX, not a lot of trail ridding.

katch26
10-03-2009, 09:11 AM
thats cool, its gotta be alont of fun to be able to tear through things w/o having to worry about blowing tires. Pressure wise that about what I run 7 fr/ 5 back.

Bill Martin
10-03-2009, 10:08 AM
I would rate this tire at 50%.
In my opinion this tire is trashed and worthlrss as far as having any traction left.

This is the tire with the spike of wood in it.
This happend on a MX track.

This is what we call a Texas thorn. LOL!!!!!!!

http://i34.tinypic.com/dllxyv.jpg http://i37.tinypic.com/ddfax5.jpg

katch26
10-03-2009, 10:33 AM
def looks trashed......at the left there is a spot that says grab your code and cut and paste the one that says forum/ message boards
http://i35.tinypic.com/slrx4l.jpg

katch26
10-03-2009, 10:35 AM
also from the beginning select resize than drop down to forum message board

Bill Martin
10-03-2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks katch26 I went back and edited it.

rodeo#11
10-05-2009, 07:49 AM
i say razrs ive tried other brands over the years, itp, duro, and itp aren't bad tires but duro's on the other hand are trash!... i highly recommend razrs i've raced both mx and xc with them and done loads of trail riding..even hit the highway up once or twice lol and they still do amazing tread life is better than expected. And if your lucky you can hit up a gncc when they come around and just get some tires from the trash.... brand new razr rears and razr 2 fronts foeee freee.