PDA

View Full Version : Anybody go from honda to can am?

rollie
10-01-2009, 08:25 PM
just wondering what people that switch think.

blaster99
10-01-2009, 08:47 PM
They like them. lol

BCS Performance
10-02-2009, 05:07 AM
Buy one!!! Rollie, give me a call I'll see what i can get you for a deal :-)

rollie
10-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Im going to have to ride one first, haha, im just not sure how they are compared to my honda in suspension/power/handeling if i got one i would put the can am MX a-arms shocks ect on it. maybe even get 2:eek:

And all the electrical and EFI makes me nervous, but i guess i can always just bring it to you guys if i cant figure it out. Do you guys stock parts for them? because there are no dealers near me.

Thanks jay, donald or jimmy, whoever replied :p

xrxmxcx
10-02-2009, 09:32 AM
Roll's we can get parts with almost no wait time from our dealers, price is nice too.

:devil:

blaster99
10-02-2009, 10:24 AM
they handle better, the shocks are better, and the power better.... so buy one. lol

xrxmxcx
10-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Power will be a lot different than that Honda that rides like a tractor. A lot more shifting and high RPM's.

400exc
10-03-2009, 07:44 AM
I went from a 400ex to a DS450. There is no comparison in handling, power, or suspension. :D

ml450r
10-03-2009, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by blaster99
and the power better....

This is not true.

I went form a walsh/pep honda to canam ds450mx and then back.

The Canam takes some work to make the motor as fast as the honda. My brother has a honda with mildly built 450, nothing major, hot cam- 13-1 piston. Straight line race, he would get two bikes on my canam through 4th gear.

The motor isn't bad for local racing. If you are running nationals or a competitive A class, where the riders have equal talent, you are going to have problems with the lack of power. A set of cams, high compression piston and some porting will help. The porting is a science that needs to be figured out due to the long intake design. I think motoworks has it. A stoker would be on my list, I have heard of good power coming out of strokers.

Stock for stock, canam MX model has the best shocks, I put heavier springs on mine and they worked great. Overall handling is good. The steering stem is too far forward, I believe HOUSER has a set back stem for it out.

All this being said, If you have a dealer close that can help tune your canam, they are good bikes. The 08's had some issues. My 09 never had any problems. It did overheat once, I think this was a tuning issue. It was lean.

The Honda is just a known solid machine that is figured out. I don't think that anything will ever be made to "out-handle/out-perform" a properly modified Honda. I think a properly built DS can match, I just don't think they are any better.

blaster99
10-03-2009, 09:12 AM
that's nice you disagree, but I have to disagree with you. Stock for stock, the can-am is better. I have a 13.5:1 piston, two exhaust cams, and a mild port job from bcs. No Honda is going to beat it with the mods you listed there in your post.

TNT
10-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Better watch it Blaster Merril was putting that can-am towards the top of the national a class last season bet he puts his Hon even higher...I say show down RD 1 Nationals A class ML HON vs DS Blaster......lol! My boy we'll be in there with yas on a DS so theres your chance ML but he's training super hard so don't sit on the couch and watch TV....J/K....ML did you say noone would "ever" make a better quad? lol!.....Both good quads in thier own rights.

I'm batting around the stroker right now while we got the cases split thinking of taking it out and going to a stroker what I don't get is whats the difference displacement is displacement and who makes the strokers?

blaster99
10-03-2009, 10:33 AM
well, I guess the Honda is just better for him, like the can-am is better for me.

TNT
10-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Just off the phone w/Falicon they said big bores don't do much unless the storke is shortened they go hand and hand, they will build me one for a $1,000, it's the longer exhaust/intake stroke that does it. He said the Can acutally holds up better and is a stronger motor w/nice parts compared to the Hon/YAMS but they been experimenting getting power w/little success.

My delimma is reliability, yeah I could go put some TI valves in and push the 450's like the pro's but can't afford to rebuild and buy new valves after every race or two. I just don't get how these guy's that claim 55-60 hp out of these motors are getting it. We got a little better than 50, 35 TQ, out of a 495 big bore, cams, port, large injector, large throttle body, FCI intake, PC 5, if we stroke it too we can there then compete in Open A with the 55-65's HONs/etc.

Way I see unless someone can enlighten me?

ml450r
10-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Stock for stock, yes CANAM beats honda. Both built right, very comparable, just EASIER and cheaper to get honda built right. They are already figured out. Like I said, if I had a closer dealer, I would have been fine with the canam.

As far as the better quad statement, that was for me. Different people have different riding styles, my riding style suits the honda. I feel like the honda is a top level bike, it isn't holding me back.

My finishes on the canam were probably about where I would have finished on the honda. Maybe 1-2 spots different, just because I would have had much better starts on the honda.

rollie
10-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Yeah im a big guy too so im not sure if they'd have enough power to suit me, my honda has a piston,cam port/polish and valves and i love it.

Also i live close to BCS performance so for parts and such i would be all set.

How are these bikes to work on? i know there probably nowhere as close to as easy as the honda's.

Whats really making me think about the switch is i could probably have 2 can-ams. but im not sure if they cost more to maintain than the hondas too.

thanks for the help guys and ml450r your posts are helping me alot!

Blizzard24
10-03-2009, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by TNT
My delimma is reliability, yeah I could go put some TI valves in and push the 450's like the pro's but can't afford to rebuild and buy new valves after every race or two. I just don't get how these guy's that claim 55-60 hp out of these motors are getting it. We got a little better than 50, 35 TQ, out of a 495 big bore, cams, port, large injector, large throttle body, FCI intake, PC 5, if we stroke it too we can there then compete in Open A with the 55-65's HONs/etc.

Way I see unless someone can enlighten me?

Terry, not sure why you would need to replace Ti valves every race or two, Yamaha and Honda run Ti Valves stock. If you use the correct valve guides Ti should last a very long time.

TNT
10-03-2009, 02:32 PM
Chris, I don't know either I can't remember the name of that big valve company the pro's use that told me they replace them often since the seat design is not that good compared to the HON that last a long time. This was at the beginning of the season maybe things have changed? I've talked to Rossier, Rage, several and the valves on the DS are heavy they all agree, if we can solve that we could tap into this motor's power I think and not have to spend a fortune to maintain it.

Otherwise I should probably finish the big bore get it tuned on the dyno and see what we got it's just we got the cases split right now. We have not had a chance to really tune it yet. The one time we did a fast tune we got around 50 hp but I don't see a tune making it that much better, maybe? I know our engine builder can get alot out of trying different cams on a YFZr but I heard from a reliable source thats tried them all not the case w/the DS.

I bet that stroker and big bore if we went to a 515-525 or so we have the 55-65 hp with 36 torque. Geez I'd hope and the light weight it be fast if someone was in shape enough to handle it - HA!

Blizzard24
10-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Here ya go Terry, I posted on this a while ago, these valves are supposed to be top notch... better than OEM and they make them for the DS... I beieve a +1 as well.

"Xceldyne offers Ti Valves and Burilium (SP?) valve guides for the DS450"

There is power to be made with this motor, and I still believe Motoworks is/has the answer.

Blizzard24
10-03-2009, 04:05 PM
I believe the BRP Race parts catalog also has Ti valve spring locks or something as well.

Xceldyne is owned by CV4, I know you have some contacts w them so give them a call.

TNT
10-03-2009, 04:44 PM
Yeah we're hooked up w/CV4, thanks Chris for the info maybe I better give Motoworks a call Monday and have a little chat. :D

TNT
10-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Oh one last TNT note on this thread it will not be a HON A-Class MX national championship next season it WILL be #101 Can-am!! :D

ml450r
10-03-2009, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by TNT
Oh one last TNT note on this thread it will not be a HON A-Class MX national championship next season it WILL be #101 Can-am!! :D

:huh :D

rinaldi
10-04-2009, 06:52 AM
I currently just bought a Can Am 450x and am just breaking it in. I have only about 5 hours on the motor. It seems to be a much better machine, but I also find myself missing riding my 400ex. I still have my 400 and it is easier to ride, better low end power and just feels more solid. I love my Can Am and it is better in every other aspect.

DEVINF450R
10-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by Blizzard24
Here ya go Terry, I posted on this a while ago, these valves are supposed to be top notch... better than OEM and they make them for the DS... I beieve a +1 as well.

"Xceldyne offers Ti Valves and Burilium (SP?) valve guides for the DS450"

There is power to be made with this motor, and I still believe Motoworks is/has the answer.

those are some EXPENSIVE valves

MtnEX
10-11-2009, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by rinaldi
I currently just bought a Can Am 450x and am just breaking it in. I have only about 5 hours on the motor. It seems to be a much better machine, but I also find myself missing riding my 400ex. I still have my 400 and it is easier to ride, better low end power and just feels more solid. I love my Can Am and it is better in every other aspect.

Well, when I tried one out, I thought the same thing.

I thought it was gutless off the bottom until the RPM's built higher.

I passed and went on to something else.

Now the prices on the leftovers have me eyeballing the DS again.

I was thinking there was a chance the one I tried out was just a little 'sickly'.

But I guess not............

rinaldi
10-11-2009, 04:11 PM
Well since I am still in the break in I am driving the thing like an old lady which is not helping. I just installed a EFI and Motoworks pipe, but locally it is too wet to ride for my taste. I was told this makes a WORLD of difference. I bought my 450X for $4400 new which was too good of a deal for me to pass up. Again, not sure it was fair for me to say it is weak on the low end. I have to break it in before given it hell.

MtnEX
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by rinaldi
Well since I am still in the break in I am driving the thing like an old lady which is not helping. I just installed a EFI and Motoworks pipe, but locally it is too wet to ride for my taste. I was told this makes a WORLD of difference. I bought my 450X for $4400 new which was too good of a deal for me to pass up. Again, not sure it was fair for me to say it is weak on the low end. I have to break it in before given it hell.

Well, I think all the 450's are weak at low RPM.... compared to a 400EX....

The DS just seemed the weakest.

Let me know how it goes when you get to ride some more.

I've seen similar deals.