PDA

View Full Version : quick deployment after boot camp?

buck440
10-01-2009, 07:04 PM
i know you got your soi and what not after camp but i'm currently studying for the asvab and plan on going into basic training for the marines asap but was wondering after all your training is done is there a way to be "first on the list" to be shipped off or do you just go when they tell you to go? thanks.

416exfreak
10-02-2009, 08:20 AM
If you have the same attitude with you DI as you do on here, boy do I feel sorry for you.

Hopefully everything goes well, and you come home safe though.

killerofcrows48
10-02-2009, 09:43 AM
You won't be going to boot camp anytime soon. You'll have to wait around 3 months. I'm also pretty sure you don't have a choice as to when you're going to get shipped out.

buck440
10-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by killerofcrows48
You won't be going to boot camp anytime soon. You'll have to wait around 3 months. I'm also pretty sure you don't have a choice as to when you're going to get shipped out.
i know i won't be going soon that's why i said asap as soon as possible and i thought i heard a recruiter say you can volunteer to leave 30 days after you finished up unless it's the army that does that:confused:

killerofcrows48
10-02-2009, 04:46 PM
I've never heard of that, I'll have to ask my recruiter though. I wouldn't mind going sooner, that's for sure!

KevinAb
10-02-2009, 05:16 PM
I think typically it depends on which command you get stationed with and where they are at the time. If you request an early deployment, the billet guys can probably hook you up with the next group to leave.

Usually the guys doing the 'need filling' role have a list of slots to fill, and just randomly select the guys coming outta bootcamp. They will ask for your input on where to be stationed while in bootcamp. That would be the time to speak up.

When I went into the Navy, they asked East coast, West coast, or overseas- most got their requests.

250x_kyle
10-02-2009, 09:34 PM
my best friend is in the marines and it took a year and three months before he got shipped out. hes on his first tour in afganistan right now.