PDA

View Full Version : 350x swingarm on a 300ex

HiperEX
01-13-2003, 06:48 PM
Ok who here has this done i know there are some ppl who done this i posted a differnt thread and the guy told me the wrong user name what does this actually do make it longer? is the axle wider than the stock 300ex axle ect.????

Biff
01-14-2003, 11:26 AM
I have done this conversion. I installed a 350x swingarm on my 300ex. The swingarm is a little under 2 inches longer than the 300ex swingarm and the 350x axel is almost 2 inches wider. I used the rear shock from the 350x because the 300ex shock will not work (the lower mount for the shock to the swingarm is different). The 350x rear shock has compression and rebound adjustments and a remote rezzy. The 350x spring does seem to be a bit stiffer, but I have been able to adjust it to my liking.

You should note however, it is not quite a direct bolt on. You will need to install spacers on each side of the pivot bolt since the 350x swing arm is 11/16 inch narrower then the 300ex. Installing a 11/32 inch spacer on each side lines up the sprockets nicely and keeps things centered. You will have to find a place to mount the remote rezzy on your frame.

HiperEX
01-14-2003, 12:53 PM
Biff did you get any pics of this project or have a pic of it on your bike that i can see thanks

Biff
01-16-2003, 01:30 PM
I will see what I can do. Even though I work for a high tech software company (the one that starts with an "M" and ends with "soft"), I rely on low tech photography (not digital). I will take a picture and scan it. It won't be tomorrow, but I will get it.

tprender
01-16-2003, 02:37 PM
I did this switch on and X that I owned a few years ago. I used some 1/2 washers to take up the space between the frame and the swingarm. When finished make sure that the sprokets are lined up straight. If not you will be throwing the chain alot. I also, had to make a bushing at the top of the shock. The bolts are different sizes on the 2. If not for making the bushing the swing would have been done in about a few hours. It took me longer to find and make the bushing than do the switch.
When finished the X would handle much better because of the wider axle and the longer swingarm. The shock spring is stiffer, but I weight alot so it was no problem.
The X is in never never land. the person(kid) that I sold it to trashed the quad to pieces.

Houser Cannondale
01-16-2003, 05:33 PM
does the 350x swingarm have a linkage??

Biff
01-16-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks tprender, I completely forgot about the bushing for the top of the shock. I too had to have one made.

kennyG300ex,
No, there is not linkage on the 350x swingarm.

Houser Cannondale
01-16-2003, 07:52 PM
alright thanks. i was wondering do you think this woudl be a good setup for me im trying to set up my 300ex for mx. i already have front shocks but i dont have a rear aftermarket shock or axle yet. would i need the extra length or should i just keep what i have and get a works shock for my stock swingarm and an axle.

TRX_Thumper
01-16-2003, 08:45 PM
ok this is not a good conversion...1st of all the 350x shock when on the 3 wheeler is located much closer to the motor making it softer...2nd...if you put a stock 300ex and 350x shocks side by side you will see the 300 has 2 times more travel...in order to get alot of travel out of the 350 shock it needs to be moved forward which is impossible...yeah longer swinger an wider axle is good an all but for real performance a custom shock is needed

TRX_Thumper
01-16-2003, 08:47 PM
also HiperEx how do you like the powroll 313 kit? do you have any porting or larger valves installed? also i was lookin at the FMF powercore 4 and i thought it was a full system....is it a ful system and your just running a powroll header or what?