PDA

View Full Version : Calculus III help

03warriorrider
10-01-2009, 06:04 PM
There's got to be some math or engineering students on here so if anyone can help its greatly appreciated.

Your eye is at (4,0,0). You are looking a a triangular plate whose vertices are (1,0,1), (1,1,0), and (-2,2,2). A line segment runs from (1,0,0) to (0,2,2) and goes through the triangular plate. What portion of this line segment is hidden from your view by the plate?

I've been plugging away at this for hours now and still can seem to work it out or in what direction I should really take I guess. Things I have done was first shift everything over by (1,0,0) so that one end of the line segment is now on the orgin to try and simplify things a little. Next I found the equation of the plane for the triangular plate and came up with -3x+3y-3z-9=0. Then I (not sure if this is useful but...) made another plane out of the line segment and the point where my eye is supposed to be at, so out of the three points (3,0,0), (0,0,0), and (-1,2,2), and found the equation of the plane for that and came up with 0x-6y+6z=0. From here im am lost :(

Scro
10-01-2009, 06:27 PM
You lost me at 2 dimensions:p

Ralph
10-01-2009, 06:30 PM
I'm working on some stuff to go on the homepage on Sunday or else id help you out.

Sounds like your not completely lost though.

03warriorrider
10-01-2009, 06:52 PM
haha yea adding in the z axis really puts a twist on trying to picture things.

Originally posted by Ralph
I'm working on some stuff to go on the homepage on Sunday or else id help you out.

Sounds like your not completely lost though.

I've been just trying to go through the material and apply all the things we've learned so far in hope that it would trigger something to get me on the right path but nothing has worked yet. I've got 3 other problems that have me stumped like this and I guess after spending almost 6 hours on them..... its time for a break lol

jesseweaver
10-01-2009, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by 03warriorrider
There's got to be some math or engineering students on here so if anyone can help its greatly appreciated.

Your eye is at (4,0,0). You are looking a a triangular plate whose vertices are (1,0,1), (1,1,0), and (-2,2,2). A line segment runs from (1,0,0) to (0,2,2) and goes through the triangular plate. What portion of this line segment is hidden from your view by the plate?

I've been plugging away at this for hours now and still can seem to work it out or in what direction I should really take I guess. Things I have done was first shift everything over by (1,0,0) so that one end of the line segment is now on the orgin to try and simplify things a little. Next I found the equation of the plane for the triangular plate and came up with -3x+3y-3z-9=0. Then I (not sure if this is useful but...) made another plane out of the line segment and the point where my eye is supposed to be at, so out of the three points (3,0,0), (0,0,0), and (-1,2,2), and found the equation of the plane for that and came up with 0x-6y+6z=0. From here im am lost :(

lol this right here is why i chose to steer clear from college :p

400exrider707
10-01-2009, 11:32 PM
I took calc 3 and I still couldn't tell you, it was a few years ago:p .

I thought Calc 3 was easier than calc 2 was...